Lab in construction

A

Acrylicwookie

Reaction score
A friend of mine is building a dental office with a private lab attached. If you were to build a lab primarily for removables (a 12x12 room) and you could tell the contractor to include XXX in the design, what would it be? Beyond reason, money isn't a factor so dream big. And I'm not talking about "equipment" in your lab that can be carried in etc, I'm talking about structural concepts, how you would set it up, what to include built into the cabinetry (as they have yet to be built). Just looking for those with minds like me that don't settle for "normal" or just what works but more so those who want the best of the best ergonomically, efficiency etc etc ( because I may be working in this lab one day! lol )

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
First off you want more than 12x12, you need at least 2 rooms, 1 for plaster, processing, etc. and 1 for set ups, waxing, etc. and you're going to want a separate area for your compressor, and dust collection.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
i am with @Doris A .... there is no way i would want it all crammed into one room. 2 is a minimum in my opinion, and youd still need good storage/closet space. then theres the Rx and computer stuff (ideally an office) and as she mentioned above, air and dust extraction is important as well. i am a big fan of keeping the lab as quiet as possible. so one room makes it tricky.

eddydy

eddydy

Reaction score
-Know where you want your boilout machine will be located, put a sink next to it, preferably double sinks, with a plaster trap.

-Know where you want Air and Gas outputs, have the plumber install shutoff valves.

-Compressor Air filters, I have one installed right after my compressor, and couple of others before my machines or air tools.

The number of Air outputs is extremely important where to place, things to think about, air hoses, pneumatic presses, injection machines, shell blaster, sand blaster, chisel, baseplate former(the ones that use air suction).

-My lab is carpeted, all rooms, commercial carpeting, less noise, less risk of breaking something if you drop it on the floor.

-Electrical, lots of plugs, couple of 240, many boilout machines use 240 volts.

I'll add if I think of something else.

Good Luck

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
You need two benches, one for grinding and one for waxing, since you are in the same room get a grinding box w/ suction fine dust gets everywhere otherewise.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Don't get a large boil out unless you already have it or are going to be high volume.

S

sensei

Reaction score
If you have to be in a single room, you might want to give some serious thought to microwave curing. It is very space efficient. Boilout can just be an electric tea kettle by the side of the sink.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Tell the contractor you want a bar in there, a handful of built-in bar stools, some nice shot glasses, keg cooler with draft beer access, great sound system and a few large screen TV's. No seriously, ship your lab work out of your office, save the room for a place to catch a breather with your friend. One Doctor will not sustain the magic wand of a great lab tech!!!

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
12 x 12 would not work here...In the process of a new building plans right now.
2400 sq ft total, 1200 sq ft is the removable lab. Other half is to be rented,
or as "TheLabGuy's" advice. Bar next door...

G

grantoz

Reaction score
would a stripper pole be asking for a bit much.i know a dental practice that was going to do the whole in house lab thing sirona got their hooks in, mills furnaces sintering and porcelain the lot they literally have no where to put the stuff its now sitting in a storage room next to the too hard basket and they thought they could run it all with 1 techo .sirona told them they could mill a full arch in 45 minutes for all on 4 they were going to do their immediate bridges this way for all on 4 .

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Ventilation hood that vents outside over your processing area. Mui importante. Unless you want everyone in the clinic side feeling like they're in a nail salon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Ventilation hood that vents outside over your processing area. Mui importante. Unless you want everyone in the clinic side feeling like they're in a nail salon.

Just light candles near the monomer, it will burn off that smell. What could go wrong?

S

Stella02

Reaction score

Any specific ventilation hood, or could a steel kitchen one be fine if your not having a large operation?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Any specific ventilation hood, or could a steel kitchen one be fine if your not having a large operation?
That should work, just pay attention to the CFM that it can move and the room air patterns if there is already anything installed like a mini-split A/C unit especially.
As @kcdt has put it so many times, if you can still smell it, you need to mitigate it.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
That should work, just pay attention to the CFM that it can move and the room air patterns if there is already anything installed like a mini-split A/C unit especially.
As @kcdt has put it so many times, if you can still smell it, you need to mitigate it.
can always upgrade the in-line fan to something more powerful. just having the hood helps a bunch and lowes/home depot are far cheaper than anything with a "dental" tag on it

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
First off I would build an extra bench and lathe for all the dentist's friends who stop by and need to use one, usually wanting to use the lab techs ;-p. I would set up a separate air and sound system or else the lab will be like an oven and the poor tech will be listening to piped in funeral music all day. There can never be too much exhaust in the lab to remove monomer fumes, there can never be too much dust collecting, try to get a dust collector that is as silent as possible and doen't take all day to clean.