Lab fee's digital vs conventional

GG - J

GG - J

Reaction score
Is everyone charging the same fee for digital work vs conventional impressions ?

I had a account tell me this morning at 7;30 am we should charge him less because he does everything digital

I am of the opinion it should be the same fee for both fixed and removeable regardless of method used

at the the end of the day you asked us to produce said restoration and that is what we provided

the lab fee would not go up or down based upon how the work is received or manufactured

any opinions on this or how you would or have handled the same ?

thank you

doug

doug

Reaction score
Tell him that you have a lot of money tied-up in equipment, licensing, on-going license fees, training for everyone in the lab and to F*ck-off. You should be the one making the money on your investment. I watch dentists raise their fees annually and switch labs for a fee bucks. Did I say you can tell him to F*ck-off?!

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Interesting that the only time they seem to have any interest in how a lab does the work they send is when they are trying to pinch the lab fees. Digital isn't cheap for the lab, just a different way. I might have made more money over the last decade if I'd stuck primarily to analog and skipped the equipment, training, licensing fees.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Is everyone charging the same fee for digital work vs conventional impressions ?

I had a account tell me this morning at 7;30 am we should charge him less because he does everything digital

I am of the opinion it should be the same fee for both fixed and removeable regardless of method used

at the the end of the day you asked us to produce said restoration and that is what we provided

the lab fee would not go up or down based upon how the work is received or manufactured

thank you
Maybe he/she went to one of these coaching seminars where they told him if he/she goes digital all the lab fees fall away... Or at least everything gets cheaper. But as it has been mentioned above, the expensen just shift from one way to do things to another.

There was a webinar by Asiga, not too long ago, but on jewelry and its application. There the guy mentioned, when he outsourced the printing of his wax patterns, before getting a printer himself, he would pay up to $100!!! And we here are debating if it is appropriate to charge for printed models, or not...

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I charge more for digital, get the money while its still there to get. Soon enough they wont need us at all.

Tell them 25 lbs of stone is $50, 25 lbs of resin is around $600 for the cheap stuff.. The Dr makes the decision of how to take the impression and where to send it, Drs are begging me to do these cases digitally and have no problem paying an extra $50 for a model, and I still dont think thats enough, pouring up PVS is much faster..

The penny pinching Drs priority is just that.. pinching pennies.. Why make less money on digital cases with expensive models and machines, just so the Dr can save money?

Last edited:
S

sirmorty

Reaction score
If they want no printed models. I'm sure you could charge less.

I have seen labs give a discount if they choose no models.

But you have to have done you due diligence and really trust your Mill and the scans.

I guarantee the margins will be bulky. No mill can make thin margins. Don't believe the salesman speak.

Real techs know.

I

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score

thank you
These guys have been brainwashed by the same salesman who told them how much money they were going to save on impression material.

1) Their opinion has nothing to do with the pricing of your goods and services.

2) Why would you go buy a bunch of extra multi thousand dollar equipment to then charge the same fee for the same product you made without the equipment.

3) By that same logic, since the invention of the mail truck, since mail is not delivered on horseback anymore and the letter doesn't take 2 months to get there, stamps should be cheaper than they were 100 years ago.

4) Ask the client why him buying a 25k IO Scanner for his office reduces YOUR cost of doing business. A couple of scoops of stone and an articulator was only 1% at best built into your fee. So yeah you can give him that $1.50 back, but then you got to charge $40 more to cover the cost of the crap you had to buy so he could play with his scanner.

5) Tell him to go to the grocery store and argue with the manager that a ribeye steak still ought to be $2/lb.

6) Tell him if he doesn't like the fee, build his own lab, hire his own technician, and save all that extra money for himself.

7) He can write a letter to his congressman

The analog way WAS the cheap way.

Last edited:
bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
In 100 years they'll be telling about these new mystery powders you mix with just water. One will make a copy of a mouth and the other powder you pour into it and it makes a hard Stone replica... All in less than 20 minutes.

You'll never have to buy another 3D printer or laser wand again!!!
Save thousands in broken mill burs and down time for calibration.

Operators are standing by, call for pricing.
Financing available

Last edited:
bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Newsflash:
We are not your employees..... If we were, there would be at least an extra zero on the end of that check you write every month.

The fact that anybody showed up at all to do this crap for the fee given is a miracle in itself.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
We offer a $15 discount on monolithic posteriors if the doctor doesn't want us to print a model. That's it.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Digital cost more!!! I tell every Doctor that, it does...from the Dentist to the Lab. However, the cost is more but it makes you a tons faster (some could argue when you get proficient). That could be said for the Doc and the Lab as well, makes the lab much faster. I don't do modelless and won't, if you guys seen how many accounts i've picked up from modelless labs mixing up the crowns or not being able to dial in the crown it would blow your mind. Plus, I tell the Docs to give the digital model to the patient at delivery. It's great marketing for the Doc and adds that extra 'digital' touch to the whole process.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Come on guys don’t be hard on dentists

Top Bottom