Lab Analog fitting too tight on 3d printed model

L

lifelikedental

Reaction score
Exocad model creator design using dess components.

Lab analog fits too tight on the 3d printed model (Form Lab Model Resin)

I have to hammer the analogs in too make it seat all the way

What can I do to improve the overall fit? Setting in Exocad model creator?

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Maybe you would need to play around with the shaft gap settings.

I had to do this with removable dies to get it to fit a bit better.

Not sure if analogs have a settings in the Exocad model creator.

Lighthouse

Lighthouse

Reaction score
I use a Form 2 from Formlabs and my 3i analogs are too loose and my straumann analogs are too tight...Nobel Biocare fit just right. It could be lots of reasons the analogs are not fitting right. I use 3Shape model builder.

Wainwright

Wainwright

Reaction score
Like @Lighthouse said it really varies quite a bit based on the digital-analog system, hard to nail down the "solve all" solution. Also the way the parts snap in or screw in have a pretty big range, some better than others.

I'm planning to make a video going through some best practices for implant models in the near future but for now here are a few tips.

Use the select base feature to snap the bottom part of the implant analog geometry, see photo.

Use the smallest possible supports to make sure that the surface is as correct as possible, again see photo

Lastly two photos with a 40 power microscope camera showing the results.

One more note, this is not unique to Formlabs but all 3D printing, implant models are some of the most difficult parts to print in dental. All things must be as correct as possible, nesting, resin tank clarity, printer health, and post processing. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Attachments

• bottom of analog model.jpg
    bottom of analog model.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 117
  • implant model face.png
    implant model face.png
    604.4 KB · Views: 113
  • implant model touch points.PNG
    implant model touch points.PNG
    291 KB · Views: 113
  • top of analog model.jpg
    top of analog model.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 118
harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
on 3shape, there's an analog to model spacing parameter you can change. exocad must have it as well?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
on 3shape, there's an analog to model spacing parameter you can change. exocad must have it as well?
Pretty sure it is a setting inside of the implant library. Not so easy to change.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
Pretty sure it is a setting inside of the implant library. Not so easy to change.

strange that exocad wouldn't leave that in the model maker settings.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Also depends on proper calibration of the resin you are using for models. Can be tricky to get right.

DentalDen

DentalDen

Reaction score
I use a Form 2 from Formlabs and my 3i analogs are too loose and my straumann analogs are too tight...Nobel Biocare fit just right. It could be lots of reasons the analogs are not fitting right. I use 3Shape model builder.
You can change the bar friction I think in model settings ?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
implant models are some of the most difficult parts to print in dental
Tell me about... o_O

Since we outsource the model printing, it can get frustrating to find out the model, you just received, doesn't work with the analog. Usually it is too loose, which renders the model useless. Adjust the parameters, send the file again and wait until you get the new model back just to realize, nothing has changed... Then, the whole scan flag chaos, all the different libraries, which need to be updated every so often, all the different dim analogs etc etc. I also think the NT-trading Dim analogs (which a couple companies use as their analogs) are more prone to fail in the printed models. Their interface is too flimsy, I think.

In terms of model printing, I found Staumann to work best with our settings. Dim analogs fit tight and nicely. Costs might be on the higher side, but it beats the back and forth with the other companies, which, at the end, costs much more.

M

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
Good morning everyone! The settings for the fit of analog components is from the implant library manufacturer. Unfortunately, quite a few of them have a difficult time understanding the libraries within Exocad.

With the Matera2.3(6990) build and earlier, yes it is not possible to change the gap around the analog. Luckily with the Plovdiv2.4(7290) build released a few weeks ago, Exocad opened up the ability to dynamically change the "shaft gap" on the analog parts within the model creator steps. You can check your max build # with the Exocad dongle tool and if it's later than 7290 then you can use it now. Otherwise, ask your re-seller about updating.

Printer settings can be tricky. Especially with SLA you can run into the issue of light warping around the edges of the plate. You can usually see a difference in objects printed center of the plate, from ones printed on the outside edge. Imagine shining a flashlight straight down, then tilt it, the light changes shape. They try to make up for this in the software, but all printers have this inherently to some degree. DLP printers much less so thanks to the wider "projector" light source; this creates a much more consistent result that can be easily overcome by software compensation.

Aside from that, things like model height (taller die - tighter fit),the angle it's printed (overhang & slumping issues),the warmth & UV light bleeding into the print room, how long the parts are cleaned (as well as the % purity of the IPA),the phase of the moon, and which side of your mouth you stick your tongue out of could all be contributing factors.

Print safe and prosper!
spock-vulcan-hand-pendant-3d-model-Fa2gn5wWB_200.jpg

- Josh

T

Torquadon

Reaction score
Good morning everyone! The settings for the fit of analog components is from the implant library manufacturer. Unfortunately, quite a few of them have a difficult time understanding the libraries within Exocad.

With the Matera2.3(6990) build and earlier, yes it is not possible to change the gap around the analog. Luckily with the Plovdiv2.4(7290) build released a few weeks ago, Exocad opened up the ability to dynamically change the "shaft gap" on the analog parts within the model creator steps. You can check your max build # with the Exocad dongle tool and if it's later than 7290 then you can use it now. Otherwise, ask your re-seller about updating.

Printer settings can be tricky. Especially with SLA you can run into the issue of light warping around the edges of the plate. You can usually see a difference in objects printed center of the plate, from ones printed on the outside edge. Imagine shining a flashlight straight down, then tilt it, the light changes shape. They try to make up for this in the software, but all printers have this inherently to some degree. DLP printers much less so thanks to the wider "projector" light source; this creates a much more consistent result that can be easily overcome by software compensation.

Aside from that, things like model height (taller die - tighter fit),the angle it's printed (overhang & slumping issues),the warmth & UV light bleeding into the print room, how long the parts are cleaned (as well as the % purity of the IPA),the phase of the moon, and which side of your mouth you stick your tongue out of could all be contributing factors.

Print safe and prosper!
spock-vulcan-hand-pendant-3d-model-Fa2gn5wWB_200.jpg

- Josh

Do you know how to enable it in Exocad? I have the newest version and cannot see it during model design.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Do you know how to enable it in Exocad? I have the newest version and cannot see it during model design.
I haven't messed around with this, but information in the Plovdiv change log states that this must be enabled in the implant library for Model Creator.

*[NEW] It is now possible to change the offset between model and lab analog interactively if configured in the Model Creator lab analog library.*

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
This might be it?...settings tab, then scroll to the bottom. Luckily I've had no problems so far with analog fits in my models so I haven't messed with it.
Lab_Analog_offsets.jpg

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
<OffsetMethod>RadialOffset</OffsetMethod>
<OffsetMaximum>0.5</OffsetMaximum>
<OffsetMinimum>0</OffsetMinimum>
<OffsetProvided>0.05</OffsetProvided>

I'm seeing this code a lot, but it could require this tag:

ModelImplantLabAnalogOffsetHorizontal
Haven't played as much with the implant libraries, aside from changing the naming so that the software could actually see them (thanks implant companies)

Larry, which library was that? Downloaded, or did it come with the base Plovdiv2.4? If I see the xml included with the analog library I could figure out which tag it is and what the sub-tags are for the offset allowances.

Also appears according tot he changelog, that they changed the default to something more palatable to most 3D printers, could already be seeing a benefit.

*side-note* change implant library xml's at your own risk. Could negate FDA clearance, or if in Exoplan, prevent library usage at all.

- Josh

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
Josh,
That was a case using the Exocad official Straumann Variobase library. I don't think it matters which library is used since that option appears in Model Creator now when ever the model includes any implant analog from any library... I'm using Plovdiv 2.4 version. I suppose you could edit the xml to change the default offered, but I think you can change it on the fly by going to that tab and changing it during the model build.

Last edited:
T

Torquadon

Reaction score

I'm seeing this code a lot, but it could require this tag:

ModelImplantLabAnalogOffsetHorizontal
Haven't played as much with the implant libraries, aside from changing the naming so that the software could actually see them (thanks implant companies)

Larry, which library was that? Downloaded, or did it come with the base Plovdiv2.4? If I see the xml included with the analog library I could figure out which tag it is and what the sub-tags are for the offset allowances.

Also appears according tot he changelog, that they changed the default to something more palatable to most 3D printers, could already be seeing a benefit.

*side-note* change implant library xml's at your own risk. Could negate FDA clearance, or if in Exoplan, prevent library usage at all.

- Josh

I have seen this in various library files, I thought that this is what enables it, but I still cannot see sliders during design.

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
I just tried this test...I had an older Model Creator file that did not have the above tags in the config.xml

And when running through a model design I did not have the slider options in the model settings tab. I added the tags in and ran through it again, and I now have the sliders option to adjust the offsets in the analog socket. :)

*As mentioned above, you do this at your own risk*....I'm not suggesting in any way messing with it unless you're confident in editing xml's. If you do, make sure you make a copy of the config.xml to go back to in case things don't work!

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Are you guys putting your analogs in before your models are cured?...that's the best time to do it, then no need for glue or any issues like some of you are describing.

Top Bottom