Lab Analog fitting too tight on 3d printed model

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
Larry - I'm glad to hear that! The base settings for Exocad are likely set to a single setting. A quirk with Exocad is that if the min/max and default for a setting are the same for any Tag like that, then you do not get an option to change that during the design process. This prevents people from changing something that "has" to be that setting.

Torquadon - Could you post the text of the exact ModelCreator implant library config.xml you're trying to do this with? It could be in some of them, but not just the one you're working on. If it is in there, there is a possibility that your DentalCAD settings has it turned off by your reseller. I'll have to look through the OEM tags and see if that's a possibility. I would have thought Exocad would make it default turned to on.

You should be able to post the xml in quotes so that it looks less obnoxious on the forums.

Can do it kinda like this so that you have to click it to extend the text.

- Josh

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
<<Are you guys putting your analogs in before your models are cured?...that's the best time to do it, then no need for glue or any issues like some of you are describing.>>

Definitely a good idea if the fit is good a that point. But if a particular library presents analog fit as pretty loose, it's nice to have the option to change the socket gap to keep track and dial things in for that particular library. ;)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
@DAL Claxton @Torquadon you should use the code option for the xml output.
It keeps the spacing correct and does the click to expand function as well.

Tap the three dots between the smilyface and the camera above the text entry window and choose Code. Paste it into the window that appears.

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
Thank you JMN! I'll be sure to use it in the future. Not as familiar with forums as I am Exocad it seems haha Pcguru

In other fabulous news: I've played around some with installers, and I believe I've got a good method to simplify things for the Implant companies. Once the Marketing team gets through beautifying it, I'm hoping in the very near future we will be building .exe installer files for them. All you'll have to do is locate your DentalCADApp folder and extract.

I've already got a working one, so it all depends now on whether the implanteers will be willing to do it, and if we're willing to provide!

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
I use Exocad and DESS libraries, Keith at DESS mentioned that the analogs are same for analog models and printed. My question is, the analog gets seated into the printed tissue material that is flexible?? So with Straumann, there is just a smaller flatter rectangle of material. With DESS library the tissue like a 1-1.5 cm deep? Is this correct or am I missing something. Thanks in Advance for any help.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I use Exocad and DESS libraries, Keith at DESS mentioned that the analogs are same for analog models and printed. My question is, the analog gets seated into the printed tissue material that is flexible?? So with Straumann, there is just a smaller flatter rectangle of material. With DESS library the tissue like a 1-1.5 cm deep? Is this correct or am I missing something. Thanks in Advance for any help.
Not sure in Exocad, but in 3shape, when you model build, you choose how much you want to 'bury' the analog. You definitely don't want the analog to be only supported only by the flexible material! I found it to be a hit or miss, when outsourcing the implant models for printing. I have been getting the best result with Straumann (tight fit). When you outsource, you can't go back and for the several times until you have it 'dialed in'...

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
Hello Mike!

depending on the implant library, the fits can be drastically different.

Basically, the implant companies do one of several things: They make the retention file the same size as the digital analog, or they make it slightly larger (as the retention file should be)

This means that the fit can be different by up to .02 which is generally the offset they give when they make it correctly. If they don't make it correctly, the offset can be anything. With the release of Plovdiv though, when you make the model, you can change the offset just like you can with cut-out-dies. There's a horizontal offset you can set at the very bottom of the settings page. From what I've seen, almost all new downloaded implant libraries from the Exocad site have the correct lines of code to enable this. Just watch out for the Zimmer library, had some issues with it after installing. Library locations were pointing in the wrong place, some other programming was off, and the dig-analog/retention files were swapped. All causing crashes in Exocad.

afelab2013

afelab2013

Reaction score
Ottimo strumento ( newancorvis) ;);)per calibrare fit analogo da laboratorio per modello stampato/ Fresato

Attachments

• TEST STAMPA ANALOGO.stl
    2.9 MB · Views: 49
L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
Nice test block! , is that just for the RC analog?

afelab2013

afelab2013

Reaction score
Solo per analogo Newancorvis

Attachments

• O-480863_an.stl
    274.3 KB · Views: 21
biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
I just tried this test...I had an older Model Creator file that did not have the above tags in the config.xml

<OffsetMethod>RadialOffset</OffsetMethod>
<OffsetMaximum>0.5</OffsetMaximum>
<OffsetMinimum>0</OffsetMinimum>
<OffsetProvided>0.05</OffsetProvided>

And when running through a model design I did not have the slider options in the model settings tab. I added the tags in and ran through it again, and I now have the sliders option to adjust the offsets in the analog socket. :)

*As mentioned above, you do this at your own risk*....I'm not suggesting in any way messing with it unless you're confident in editing xml's. If you do, make sure you make a copy of the config.xml to go back to in case things don't work!
Hi Larry, please what is the exact path file to solve this issue? Thank you

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
First you'll need an xml editor ,
Windows (C) > Exocad>DentalCADApp>library>modelcreator>implants> (find the particular implant to you want to change and open the folder and open the config.xml file...You have to add those lines in the config.xml file

biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
Hi @LarryRDC
Thanks, but I have this error. Any idea what is wrong here? I appreciate very much your time and help.

IMG_7778.JPG IMG_7767.JPG

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I now just merge the abutment design with the model. No need for analogs anymore.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
The Dess library in Exocad allows you to tighten or loosen the analog during the model design. Truabutment does not. I hD to go into the xml file of each implant and change the fit myself. Even though they said you couldn't.....

M

mario5636

Reaction score
Like @Lighthouse said it really varies quite a bit based on the digital-analog system, hard to nail down the "solve all" solution. Also the way the parts snap in or screw in have a pretty big range, some better than others.

I'm planning to make a video going through some best practices for implant models in the near future but for now here are a few tips.

Use the select base feature to snap the bottom part of the implant analog geometry, see photo.

Use the smallest possible supports to make sure that the surface is as correct as possible, again see photo

Lastly two photos with a 40 power microscope camera showing the results.

One more note, this is not unique to Formlabs but all 3D printing, implant models are some of the most difficult parts to print in dental. All things must be as correct as possible, nesting, resin tank clarity, printer health, and post processing. Good luck, I hope this helps.
Mr. Wainwright, excuse me, what´s the digital analog you are using in the images?, I am looking for one that fits that shape for a MIS Seven internal hex analog. I am using inlab model for creating the model.

Top Bottom