Keysplint Soft and ASIGA Max and Exocad

PRO ARTS DL

PRO ARTS DL

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have experience printing Keysplint Soft nightguards on the ASIGA MAX?

We are experiencing some issues with retention. A good amount of them just have no retention at all or very little.

Our current design settings (exocad) for the bottom part are:

Offset: 0.01
Angle 1
Allow undercuts 0.4
Smoothing 5%
Min Thickness 1mm

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
I don't have experience with that on the specific printer, but I have worked with keysplint and nightguard designs. I don't know how much you have experimented with your settings, but generally you just need to do a little experimenting to find your preference. If you are happy with your general fit the offset is probably fine and you probably just want to crank up your undercuts a bit.

Another note is how much it is rounding the edge where you draw your design. You may need to draw your designs closer to the gingiva to get the result you want

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone have experience printing Keysplint Soft nightguards on the ASIGA MAX?

We are experiencing some issues with retention. A good amount of them just have no retention at all or very little.

Angle 1
Allow undercuts 0.4
Smoothing 5%
Min Thickness 1mm
I just started designing these on 3shape and printing them with an ASIGA 4K. I bet your issue is where you are putting your outline for the splint. Ive had some that didn't have enough retention. I modified the insertion direction and made sure my outline engage with the undercuts. It is a bit of trial and error. Make a splint for yourself, family members, or offer a a few to Dr's offices for free so you can get feedback.

One other note...min thickness for this material is 1.6mm. I noticed you have yours at 1 mm

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
We design on 3Shape and print keysplint on the Asiga and a few other printers, and I would agree its most likely the minimum thickness and the design as it engages with the undercuts. Being a semi flexible material if its thin it wont resist the undercut and create retention it will just flex and be loose.

I would suggest adding the minimal thickness closer to 2mm and drop the buccal design line to engage the undercuts deeper, its always easier to drop it a bit deeper and trim it back, rather than having to restart.

eddydy

eddydy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Angle 1
Allow undercuts 0.4
Smoothing 5%
Min Thickness 1mm
I use the Asiga Max to print all my Keysplint soft splints and Exocad for designing.
I never have any issues with retention, sometimes I have to do a little adjustment because they're a little too tight
My settings:
-Offset 0.01
Angle: I leave it at default
Smoothing: 0%
Min Thickness: 1.5