KDF Zircom (or others) Sintering Times

FastShipper

FastShipper

Reaction score
Hey all,
We recently purchased the KDF Zircom sintering furnace and I was wondering what peoples settings are for sintering zirconia; the last lab I worked at we used one setting for all zirconia, didn't matter brand or anything, and never had any issues, but I don't remember what the settings were.

I should throw in that I do have one sintering process put in there but haven't used it yet, I pulled it from the manual but it doesn't state that it's a good starting point or anything, hence why I'm asking. It's setup as follows:

Step 1: 1000 degrees C for 40min
Step 2: 1500 degrees C for 1hour
Step 3: 1500 degrees C for 2hours
Step 4: 400 degrees C for 1hour 30min
Step 5: 300 degrees C for 30min

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Why is step 2 and 3 the same temp, but different soak times?

FastShipper

FastShipper

Reaction score

Found this that shows a 'typical' setup for zirconia and it also has duplicate temps one after another.

user name

user name

Reaction score
"One cycle for all Zirconia"?!
You need to know the numbers or each...try them, then make modifications.
Slow up, slow down, and the required time at high temp.
I use what I believe are two of the nicest Zrs; Katana STML and Origin Beyond Plus. They both look slightly different cooked in different ovens, but thats about element type and energy.
I like the Beyond over cooked, which would allow me to run them both in the same cycle if need be.
Dont fall for the joke of quick sinter. Every Zr Ive played with looks best with an 8 to 12 hour cycle.
If you cant follow the instructions, in most cases heating up at 10 celcius per minute to 1550 with a 2 hour hold and cooling the same rate will cover most products pretty well. Its good to know what your ovens actual temps are though, but it sounds like that might be more than youre willing to do.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score

Found this that shows a 'typical' setup for zirconia and it also has duplicate temps one after another.
Right, but they have different ramp temps and once it has reached the soak temperature I don't see how a different rate per minute is going to do anything? It is already at that temperature.Hmmmm2

doug

doug

Reaction score
Sounds like my GPS talking to me. "Stay left, and then continue to stay left."

user name

user name

Reaction score
I might have found the previous labs sinter instructions for you.Stupid
Screen-Shot-2016-09-30-at-4.24.39-PM-850x783.jpg