Katana YML line

K

Koperly

Reaction score
Anybody has this issue with YML seeing the transition line?
Local rep isn’t helpful. He said to increase 10 C and try. I tried and even went 20C more and still. I sinter on 90 min. Have two different sintering oven ( one is one month old) and both gave same results. Local rep isn’t answering texts.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I have the same problem and reseller was talking bs about I am not firing it correctly. It has the exact same program as STML and that does not have the visible line. Later reseller told me (probably after other complaints) that it is not that hard to cover it by staining :D

So this is material issue and I will talk about it with noritake at IDS and hear what I am doing wrong. I have burned the material in four different ovens (one brand new) and separately from other katana materials. Always the same result.

Last edited:
Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Have you calibrated your oven?

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Every day. Ovens can be off by 50 degrees or more

M

MrNeverFixit

Reaction score
Local rep isn’t helpful. He said to increase 10 C and try. I tried and even went 20C more and still. I sinter on 90 min. Have two different sintering oven ( one is one month old) and both gave same results. Local rep isn’t answering texts.
Do you have another disc of the same shade you are using? Try it and make sure its a different LOT number or not the same batch. If its not there it means factory production issue. Call your rep to replace the disc and they will recall all the disc.

May be they ignore it because they gona lose alot of money to recall and replace all the disc.

I had a few cases like that with other brands. I used a different disc but making sure not the same batch just to make sure it not the oven issue. I call my rep sent it back and got a replacemnt.

Last edited:
Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Ivoclar's Prime has a gradient transition between it's layers to fix this issue. It's been out for awhile so I assume Katana would have something similar if you didn't want to switch zirconia brands.

R

rookiee

Reaction score
I have witnessed serious crap from Katana and gone thru hell and back with them, denying things...Certain LOT numbers were affected but they were pointing at me, my furnace etc...New series and from then on it's perfect again. But my provblem was not regarding lines, haven't ran into it in past 4,5 years using Katana.

What pisses me off that company as Kuraray would goooo alll the way and blaming user when they had evidence on a table, and I still keep all samples and photos. Why not just call customer and say hey, I heard you got issues, send us all material, we will test it and replace it. Is it so hard for a company that makes millions if not billions? And had issues in past with other manufacturers as well, years later reps coming to lab almost crying, how can we make business again. Well, you know where the door handle was sec ago right?

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I visited Kurary box in IDS and talked them about the line. They said the line is there and it is because of the different strength of materials in the same disk. They also said it is not visible in the mouth.

GhostFake

GhostFake

Reaction score
Can I ask who your rep is? Our rep said the same thing and when the issue wasn't fixed he totally ghosted us.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Can I ask who your rep is? Our rep said the same thing and when the issue wasn't fixed he totally ghosted us.
We are using Ivoclar's Prime Zirconia. It has a gradient transition between the three different translucent areas of their pucks to eliminate this issue.

GhostFake

GhostFake

Reaction score
We are using Ivoclar's Prime Zirconia. It has a gradient transition between the three different translucent areas of their pucks to eliminate this issue.
We tried the ZirCAD Prime zirconia and we were getting significant margin chipping that we haven't experienced with any other zirconia. Have you had any issues with margin chipping?
We use an AG Mikro and an AG Motion 2 with ZR02 Burs

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
We tried the ZirCAD Prime zirconia and we were getting significant margin chipping that we haven't experienced with any other zirconia. Have you had any issues with margin chipping?
We use an AG Mikro and an AG Motion 2 with ZR02 Burs
We have a PM7. We haven't had any margin chipping issues at all. We've been milling Prime for 5+ years now. I am not a CAM expert but I assume that is where your problem is if you don't have issues milling other zirconias.

GhostFake

GhostFake

Reaction score
We have a PM7. We haven't had any margin chipping issues at all. We've been milling Prime for 5+ years now. I am not a CAM expert but I assume that is where your problem is if you don't have issues milling other zirconias.
Perhaps, I'll have to look further into it. I haven't heard of anyone having this problem

D

drmikezhou

Reaction score
I tried Katana YML C2 sintered in Profire Furnace. No lines. I heard the lines were an earlier batch problem but that should have been sorted out now. My issue is that the C2 looks more like C3, not quite matching the Vita shade guide.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I mill the material daily as some technicians like it. I am ordering it constantly and they are orderend directly from kuraray every month. The line is still there. I am using only A colors. Tested d2 and b1 and colors are ok.

Z

ztech

Reaction score
I used the YML for a while and could eliminate the demarcation by orientation of the incisal area to have it extend further down the facial and get thicker in the incisal area. I have now switched to a much better product and don't have to do that. Amann Girrbach Bion is a single strength gradient translucent material. 1100mpa strength with the gradient translucency of the 4y to 5y layered. Pricey but much better product.