Katana STML Sintering

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
I'm trying out Katana STML for the first time and I'm a little baffled by the sintering time. I could be setting my oven incorrectly as well... but my oven says it's going to be a 4 1/2 hr cycle. Is that too short? I'm not trusting it. It says to ramp it up by 10 degrees to 1550, hold for 2 hours, then let it come down at -10. No other holding steps... which I find odd. Will it be harmful to put it on another program that goes a lot slower but tops out at the same high temp? Of course, this is a sensitive case so I'm far more cautious than I'd normally be with experimentation.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
My program shows 7:12 for what you have listed above. (@ 2 hour hold)

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
My program shows 7:12 for what you have listed above. (@ 2 hour hold)
I think the oven time isn't taking cooling time into account. I found another paper in the box that says it should be 7 1/2 hours total. I looked at the other programs I put the oven years ago and they show about 5 hours, but take 8 in total. I think it'll be okay but I don't program this oven very often and this case needs to be done.

R

rookiee

Reaction score
2,5h to reach max temp, 2h holding time, 2,5h cooling down....

user name

user name

Reaction score
I'm trying out Katana STML for the first time and I'm a little baffled by the sintering time. I could be setting my oven incorrectly as well... but my oven says it's going to be a 4 1/2 hr cycle. Is that too short? I'm not trusting it. It says to ramp it up by 10 degrees to 1550, hold for 2 hours, then let it come down at -10. No other holding steps... which I find odd. Will it be harmful to put it on another program that goes a lot slower but tops out at the same high temp? Of course, this is a sensitive case so I'm far more cautious than I'd normally be with experimentation.
Slower is better. Extra hold time at 1000 I think is good for every Zr too.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
How long are you generally holding at 1000c? Just 15 minutes or more like an extra hour at that stop?

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for next time. This is already sintering. Hopefully it'll turn out fine. I'm just nervous because it's a new material (for me) , I haven't programmed that oven in quite some time, and I'm frazzled from dealing with a borked DW program. Seems to be working well enough now,... but I'm overly cautious about everything today.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for next time. This is already sintering. Hopefully it'll turn out fine. I'm just nervous because it's a new material (for me) , I haven't programmed that oven in quite some time, and I'm frazzled from dealing with a borked DW program. Seems to be working well enough now,... but I'm overly cautious about everything today.
Let me complicate your life just a bit more.Ahhhhh
The C-3 and D-3 seem to do better slightly on the hotter side. I think Ive shared somewhere before...
If your oven uses MoSi2 elements, recommended temps are pretty good. If you use SiC elements, everything seems to look better (to me) if you cook it hotter.

Some seem to think the STML color is too warm or slightly low in value. Compared to most thats true...but, they look better in the mouth. Brightness/high value is a common problem with Zr in the mouth. Want them a bit brighter, raise the high temp a little.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I know Ive shared this before too, but Dont trust your lying eyes.
Womens teeth look much brighter if theyre wearing a red toned lipstick.
Which square looks brighter. A or B? Cover the square separating them with your finger. They are the same.
Your lying eyes.

Jenners

Jenners

Reaction score
Let me complicate your life just a bit more.Ahhhhh
The C-3 and D-3 seem to do better slightly on the hotter side. I think Ive shared somewhere before...
If your oven uses MoSi2 elements, recommended temps are pretty good. If you use SiC elements, everything seems to look better (to me) if you cook it hotter.

Some seem to think the STML color is too warm or slightly low in value. Compared to most thats true...but, they look better in the mouth. Brightness/high value is a common problem with Zr in the mouth. Want them a bit brighter, raise the high temp a little.
All stuff that I need to learn. I've been in this lab for a long time,but the owner just recently has been receptive to playing with more translucent zirconia. We don't do a lot of full contours, especially up front. I've been reading this forum for years and finally get to put some things into practice.

Right now A2 is sintering. I won't be here to see how it turns out, but if it's not good, then I'm sure to find out quickly.

Farrah Fawcett

Farrah Fawcett

Reaction score
Im 99% sure all zirconia has already been baked at 1000c for days during the presintering process. What makes you think holding at 1000 for another few minutes or even hours does anything? It doesn't.

Farrah Fawcett

Farrah Fawcett

Reaction score
HAHA, sorry man.

I am always sarcastic on the internet, but not like that in person at all.

But, it's true that Zirconia spends days at 1000C after pressing before you even get a disk.

I see no reason to hold at 900C or 1000C. Someone maybe can explain to me why this is a thing in some people's heads? Dontknow

I know Jensen has some whacky suggested cycle that has people holding Zr at 900C for a long time....I really don't understand what is purpose of that.

user name

user name

Reaction score
@Zubler USA

I know Chris has some answers to this.

Waste of time, or an important step? Please help

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
@Zubler USA

I know Chris has some answers to this.

Waste of time, or an important step? Please help
My understanding is that typical greenstate sintering takes it to ~ 900 °C with a rather extended hold...days. Higher than that is the 1st time it's experiencing hotter so its suggested to ease it across that threshold with ~ a 20 min hold.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
@900 ° C I think I heard this from Paul Cascone, genius @ Argen

Farrah Fawcett

Farrah Fawcett

Reaction score
It ranges from 900C to 1100C actually during the pre sintering process. I just picked the middle temp, as that relates to this thread.

The Two largest manufactures of Zirconia on planet visit me often.

One of them use to make all Zr for Argen actually. Upcera.

Argen did not change much, if anything from how the Chinese made it for them.

They just copy the Chinese and I think still use their same powder. Not sure why you think Paul is a genius, but I dunno?

I doubt Argen is at max temp of 900C. Most manufactures go higher. Even Bob Cohen Once said same thing regarding the German pre sintering process. He said 1000C. It is more common to see 1000-1100C at end of pre sintering process.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it relates to larger bridges of zirconia...to give it time to dispense that heat evenly to 1000C before going over the threshold? Just a random thought, probably ranks up there with the many idiotic random thoughts I have daily...