Ivoclar EP500 Error 28

Kreszl

Kreszl

Reaction score
Turned the unit on this morning to press out a couple units and I get this Error 28 message. "Interruption of heating circuit - check heating circuit fuse (66c)"
I've replaced the fuse with every one I had on hand and with no luck decided to run to the hardware store just in case for a couple new ones and have the same problem.

Anyone have any ideas what else the issue could be? I've put in a call to Ivoclar already and waiting for a call back again after having no luck with the fuses but with cases to press I'm a bit impatient.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any info that may help.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Your heating element might have a fused wire. Or check the two contact lids, left and right on the head, if they make contact and are not eroded.

How is your electrical current? Is it stable? I had an EP500 and all the P furnaces, at one point or another. On the old models, in a country with a not too stable electrical grid, I ran into the issues above mentioned.

If the wire is fused, you need to change the heating element. If the two lids/plugs are eroded, you will need to change those.

Good thing, the EP500 is easily disassembled...

Kreszl

Kreszl

Reaction score
Electrical current isn't an issue. I don't notice anything wrong with the muffle when I open up, but will have to take it out to check the contact wires. I've taken the box off the back of the unit to make sure I didn't see any burn marks around any connections but it looks pretty clean. The other thing I've thought about was the fuse holder going bad but I'm not sure what to look for there. Next step is to check the muffle connections I guess. Thanks

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
these are the parts where I have had most issues with the EP500 and P80 and P100:

contentimage.php.jpeg ivoclar-vivadent-programat-ep-500-49875-3-1521635036.jpg

Kreszl

Kreszl

Reaction score
I removed the muffle and I didn't notice any corrosion on the heating element wires from the top picture you shared, I even tried switching it out with a spare muffle that we happen to have just in case. I did notice on the contact lids there is some black marks, especially on the right side. I'm not sure if that could be causing an issue? 20180731_170605(0).jpg 20180731_170605.jpg

Kreszl

Kreszl

Reaction score
Perhaps they can just be cleaned up? That's one thing I hadn't even considered so thank you for that.

Kreszl

Kreszl

Reaction score
Do you think there a way to check that they are making contact? Maybe with a volt meter somewhere?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
not sure... But check the copper contacts, they engage in. The contact area may be eaten away, where the black corrosion is. We had that happen a few times, with the old furnaces... It is easily exchanged.

Edit. You dont have an old Programat laying around, which you could use as spare?

Kreszl

Kreszl

Reaction score
Well I've cleaned up the black corrosion marks and swapped back in the muffle that was in there because I thought the wired connections just looked cleaner. I was told by the Ivoclar technician to check the terminal contacts and that they should be 15 ohms which they are. I haven't noticed any burn marks on the board to suggest something got fried but I'm guessing it's something in that area. The Ivoclar technician did mention that occasionally he's heard of a fuse holder going bad but I'm pretty much stuck on how to check that. I'm about to give up and stop wasting my time but really don't have the money for a new unit in my budget. Frustrating

Oh & no, I don't have an old Programmat unfortunately.

Last edited:
2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Well I've cleaned up the black corrosion marks and swapped back in the muffle that was in there because I thought the wired connections just looked cleaner. I was told by the Ivoclar technician to check the terminal contacts and that they should be 15 ohms which they are. I haven't noticed any burn marks on the board to suggest something got fried but I'm guessing it's something in that area. The Ivoclar technician did mention that occasionally he's heard of a fuse holder going bad but I'm pretty much stuck on how to check that. I'm about to give up and stop wasting my time but really don't have the money for a new unit in my budget. Frustrating
Swap out the fuse holder. Should be a couple of bucks at an electrical supply house.

Have you looked closely at the muffle itself?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Oh & no, I don't have an old Programmat unfortunately.
Sorry to hear! I hope you get to the bottom of the issue and don't have to get a replacement!

Kreszl

Kreszl

Reaction score
I have to figure out how to remove the fuse holder, but that's kind of my last hope at this point. I thought they were fused to the board but I will have to take out the board and take another look. I did look over the muffle and didn't notice any issues. Thanks for all the help. Fingers crossed at this point.

Kreszl

Kreszl

Reaction score
I'm officially on day 3 of playing with this machine and still have yet to get past error 28. At this point, I can no longer waste time during the work day fiddling around. I have e.max cases that need to get done and I'm wondering if I can send an .STL to have someone press or mill them for me until I can get this press working again. Wish I had the money to simply buy a new one but it's just not there right now. Dontknow

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I'm officially on day 3 of playing with this machine and still have yet to get past error 28. At this point, I can no longer waste time during the work day fiddling around. I have e.max cases that need to get done and I'm wondering if I can send an .STL to have someone press or mill them for me until I can get this press working again. Wish I had the money to simply buy a new one but it's just not there right now. Dontknow
Where you live? This would help all of us help you.

Kreszl

Kreszl

Reaction score
So I just wanted to give a quick update on this EP500 problem I was having. I finally got it working again. The issue was on the board where the fuse holder is mounted all the way to the left. (12.5Amp). After checking several contacts to eliminate the muffle and clips. Taking out the board and realized I wasn't getting any reading from the fuse holder to the wire connection on the board along the trace. So a small piece of wire, a couple small solder jobs and it's back in action. Thanks for all the input and help from everyone. Beer

T

TOOTHWORKS

Reaction score
New Jersey
you can do this by hand if you need to just bring the ring to 930c put your emax ingot and plunger and back to the burnout furnace for another 15 min at 930c then bring it out put it on a fire proof bench and used a metal ROD or anything you can push the plunger with push softly you dont need to Ram it hard (ALL THIS IN A BURNOUT FURNACE NO IVOVLAR OVEN)

T

TOOTHWORKS

Reaction score
Turned the unit on this morning to press out a couple units and I get this Error 28 message. "Interruption of heating circuit - check heating circuit fuse (66c)"
I've replaced the fuse with every one I had on hand and with no luck decided to run to the hardware store just in case for a couple new ones and have the same problem.

Anyone have any ideas what else the issue could be? I've put in a call to Ivoclar already and waiting for a call back again after having no luck with the fuses but with cases to press I'm a bit impatient.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any info that may help.
error 28 is muffler door is open, so heating is interrupted (check for air leaking hoses that are not locking the muffler) if you hear scaping air

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I’m like a walking error 28.
It’s good to work alone.