Ivoclar emax Press first attempt - Problems

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
This is my 2nd try , here is what I have changed :
- I positioned the edges of the crown outwards and this time pressed only one element, the other sprue is there just because the book said so
- I placed the investment in the bornout furnace at room temp and made the whole burnout much longer hold at 400 C for 20 min and at 850 for more 45 min
- the press program was the same as earlier the own press program for 100g, I had no error this time
- the final result is much better, much smoother surface but the edges are missing again , although this time I made an extra thich edge prepped with a wide shoulder, see the pics.
Is there a calibration program only for press function ? Or that adjust only the heating...?I am really out of clues
Don't be hard on yourself, growth in technique is growth. You are growing. I know nobody that does shippable work the forst time they used a new process.

It took me about 40 castings before I quit getting at least one coping with pinholes or/and short margins.

You're human, allow yourself to be one.

user name

user name

Reaction score
With out examining your pattern, I would guess best sprue location is between buccal cusp and distal marginal ridge.
If you are milling your patterns, use two. Then you can pick the best one to use after pressing.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Unit is cut off, but an idea of the length of the dummy sprue. At length, or just beyond the crown length.

20200611_104940.jpg

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Like “user” says, material should not flow around corners. See this pic, shows how material needs to flow down and out
when pressing.
Also I agree it looks like investment breakdown on this press.

9AE08698-DFB4-4ED8-81CE-4DC751804152.png

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
I would thicken the margins and skip the duralay. If you need a stronger substructure such as over a metal abutment, I use Harvest Dental DuraPattern which works well.