Ivoclar Chrystalization tray

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Do I really need one of these? I just received my first milled out emax in the blue state. Is it O.K. just to use a regular solid tray with peg putty? Thanks

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
yep, I do it all the time... haven't used the ivo tray in a year

ts4341

ts4341

Reaction score
Yes !!!! Very important to EMAX CAD

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Paging Patrick Coon.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
You definitely need the Crystallization tray!

It is very important whenever running any of the Crystallization firings (Crystallization or Correction) that you use the tray. The tray is made to heat and cool slowly to control these steps during crystallization. If you don't use it you can have a lot of issues with cracking, especially during the cooling of the restoration. In fact, even when using the crystallization tray, be sure to let you restorations cool completely before removing from the tray.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
you need to use the Ivoclar peg putty too
and the Ivoclar furnace tongs

no, wait... peg putty is an insulator... don't use it

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
you need to use the Ivoclar peg putty too
and the Ivoclar furnace tongs

no, wait... peg putty is an insulator... don't use it

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, Andrew, but you definitely should use Object Fix. If you don't then the crowns can deform during crystallization.

It is also kind of impressive how far the pieces will fly when the start cracking when the furnace head opens and they get thermal shocked. We had an educational assistant who was crystallizing for a course and for some reason didn't use Object Fix and just placed the restorations on the pins. Well when the oven opened the people in the room heard the pinging from the pieces hitting the far wall. Luckily no one got hit by hot, flying ceramic.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
yea Patrick, i'm always being sarcastic...
I really have not had any adverse effects to crystallization firing on the "recommended" tray, but I definitely use peg putty... from thin veneers to bulky posteriors...
with e.max, press or cad, I let the oven cool a little longer (especially on thick to thin restorations)
granted, I don't do 30 units a day, but I run quite a few