Ivocap reline of a denture with suction valves? Need advice today!

E

EricH

Reaction score
I just got a case to reline, and it has some sort of suction producing one-way valves in it. It's an upper with no palate. The Doctor wants a palate added in, but wants the valves saved. Can those valves handle being boiled for 35 minutes?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I just got a case to reline, and it has some sort of suction producing one-way valves in it. It's an upper with no palate. The Doctor wants a palate added in, but wants the valves saved. Can those valves handle being boiled for 35 minutes?
It's probably this:

And do not expect those one way pieces to put up with the boiling. The non-intaglio end of the suction tunnel has a tiny thing that screws off to allow the one way flapper disc to be removed and for cleaning the channel.

I'd pack a bit of putty in the hole on both ends to keep it from filling with acrylic and you really don't want to dig stone out of that channel either.

thinking it s this

Last edited:
E

EricH

Reaction score
Thanks! I have yet to get the pick-up impression off of it, so I can see the outside. Hopefully I will be able to get the things apart.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
It's probably this:

And do not expect those one way pieces to put up with the boiling. The non-intaglio end of the suction tunnel has a tiny thing that screws off to allow the one way flapper disc to be removed and for cleaning the channel.

I'd pack a bit of putty in the hole on both ends to keep it from filling with acrylic and you really don't want to dig stone out of that channel either.

thinking it s this

From what I read on the link, if the suction was working, they wouldn't need a palate added.

E

EricH

Reaction score
From what I read on the link, if the suction was working, they wouldn't need a palate added.
Right! I suspect they weren't working too well. The question now becomes, will this reline stay in, or are the valves leaking. I feel that I'm about to learn something.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Right! I suspect they weren't working too well. The question now becomes, will this reline stay in, or are the valves leaking. I feel that I'm about to learn something.
Let us know how it goes.

K

kytoothdude

Reaction score
The discs in the valves are very small. Open them over a towel or clean bench. They are not replaceable because they aren't made anymore.

E

EricH

Reaction score
Well, it was successful! I was able to unscrew the "valve covers" and take the little yellow/white disks out. Not having the wrench, I used the corners of some square jawed pliers to jab in the holes on the covers and unscrew them. Not ideal, but it did work. The disks are indeed quite small! Maybe 2mm. There was some gunk inside the valves, on the disks, and in the vent holes. So I cleaned everything and reassembled the valves, after the reline/add palate operation.

The doctor reports that the denture stays in fine. So that's a relief! I was concerned that the little disks would be too hard and wouldn't seal. But apparently not. With the palate, the doctor could just stop the holes up if the retention proves unsatisfactory. I get the impression that the patient wants to keep the valves.

Thanks, everyone, for the help!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Well, it was successful! I was able to unscrew the "valve covers" and take the little yellow/white disks out. Not having the wrench, I used the corners of some square jawed pliers to jab in the holes on the covers and unscrew them. Not ideal, but it did work. The disks are indeed quite small! Maybe 2mm. There was some gunk inside the valves, on the disks, and in the vent holes. So I cleaned everything and reassembled the valves, after the reline/add palate operation.

The doctor reports that the denture stays in fine. So that's a relief! I was concerned that the little disks would be too hard and wouldn't seal. But apparently not. With the palate, the doctor could just stop the holes up if the retention proves unsatisfactory. I get the impression that the patient wants to keep the valves.

Thanks, everyone, for the help!
thanks for the feedback. Glad it worked out for you

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
The Ultrasuction valves meant to illuminate the palate and if you add the palate no need for the valves anymore especially if you seal the tunnel with acrylic. Tunnel and valves are linked together with tiny holes that work with the white disk inside. You cancel one, you terminate all the rest.

Top Bottom