It's not easy.

• Thread starter Marcusthegladiator CDT
  • Start date
Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
And wasn't it Tanaka years ago, whose shtick was that he able to build and condense so densely he could drop it without hurting it?
The purpose of Tanaka's test was that he would be able to tell you at what point you missed a step in the build up technique...the way it would break up if not done correctly. The one bake technique is a goal, not a must. The idea of condensing, properly, was to make ceramic occlusion precise by controlling shrinkage predictably and far less furnace shrinkage. Holding contacts became automatic as well as disclosing zones. There is an exact planned phase to properly condensing which is the technique. Too few today understand the concept, but to be able to do a round house build up and have the pin near drop with all of the occlusion properly engineered, a wonderful experience.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
The purpose of Tanaka's test was that he would be able to tell you at what point you missed a step in the build up technique...the way it would break up if not done correctly. The one bake technique is a goal, not a must. The idea of condensing, properly, was to make ceramic occlusion precise by controlling shrinkage predictably and far less furnace shrinkage. Holding contacts became automatic as well as disclosing zones. There is an exact planned phase to properly condensing which is the technique. Too few today understand the concept, but to be able to do a round house build up and have the pin near drop with all of the occlusion properly engineered, a wonderful experience.
Post firing...

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Be glad you have that nice brush. Back in the day we would cut a Schick blade into shape and stack porcelain with a spatula. Belda St Clair came out with a build set that kinda made the razor blade obsolete. I think I started using a brush to build around "85"..Someone asked me once if there was the trick to building porcelain. There is, just takes about 10 years to figure it out. Learn to control one powder, learn to cut back and add a second powder, then third powder of clear. and keep moving on. Slow steps grasshopper. I'm sure you'll be just fine. Take your time and try not to get frustrated. Like someone said earlier you develop your movements..Oh , for under the pontics, Zig Zags works good.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

Thank you for the wonderful reply, Sda. It's nice to know what that was about :)

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Thank you for the wonderful reply, Sda. It's nice to know what that was about :)
Thanks Car 54 [emoji4], really not using much volume of porcelain these days, mainly micro with the exception being some anteriors...

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Good point. The times have changed since the days of everything being a total build up, with our now more aesthetic emax (GC press etc),zirconia foundations.

Last edited:
Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Good point. The times have changed since the days of everything being a total build up, with our now more aesthetic emax (GC press etc),zirconia foundations.
For sure [emoji4]

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I just did some LiSi centrals in ht 59.. Minimal layering and wow they were gorgeous.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
'the amateur seeks inspiration, the professional gets to work' Who am I, Ansel Adams? Pictures are for the lecture circuit.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Ive got a MPF pallets that is working well with the mesh. And a few brushes that are working very well. But like you said, it's about that perfect in-between. So I am either constantly swabbing away with tissue, or spraying a mist of water/liquid on the build.

Take a look, latest LMT, feb issue page 89 bottom corner. Watch the two short videos, a cliff notes of
what he seminars . You can apply the technique with your porc even though he shows vita.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Who makes those dry powder palettes?
I dip into the jar.

th