Itero stl's with 3 shape?

DanD

DanD

Reaction score
I've searched this issue on the network but not found any recent answers.

Our lab just set up the online lab option with a itero, we received our first case and downloaded the upper and lower STL files.

So what's the best way to create a zirconia crown with these to STL files? Especially because they include an already marked margin by Itero?

Thanks much!

DanD

DanD

Reaction score
import them into your CAD and go.

Yes, I did in import them but it's just an upper and lower STL with a pre-marked margin.

Is there any way to get rid of the pre-marked cutout margin? When I set it up as a new order with digital impression and antagonist and then import the to STL, the margin is still marked with a hole around it.

Also makes making a model very difficult with the hole around the margin.

If you could further explain the process it would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.

By the way, I tried importing it like I do a 3m case under the itero option but as I said they are only STL files so it failed.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I've searched this issue on the network but not found any recent answers.

Our lab just set up the online lab option with a itero, we received our first case and downloaded the upper and lower STL files.

So what's the best way to create a zirconia crown with these to STL files? Especially because they include an already marked margin by Itero?

Thanks much!

Did you try contacting tech support at iTero? Pardon the obvious, but what did they say? I’ll be setting up next month .

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Yes, I did in import them but it's just an upper and lower STL with a pre-marked margin.

Is there any way to get rid of the pre-marked cutout margin? When I set it up as a new order with digital impression and antagonist and then import the to STL, the margin is still marked with a hole around it.

Also makes making a model very difficult with the hole around the margin.

If you could further explain the process it would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.

By the way, I tried importing it like I do a 3m case under the itero option but as I said they are only STL files so it failed.
do you need to make a model?

DanD

DanD

Reaction score
do you need to make a model?

When we get our printer we would like to make models of the itero stl's. The problem is the die is already marked when you open those STLs and it leaves a hole around that margin. When I take it to the model builder process in 3 shape it leaves the die area empty, assuming because of the whole around the margin.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
itero punches holes in the model because they think they have the rights to the model making by default. i think its level 3 of itero partnership that lets you get raw uncut stl data. been a long time since i played around with it but its one of the top tier partnerships.

DanD

DanD

Reaction score
Did you try contacting tech support at iTero? Pardon the obvious, but what did they say? I’ll be setting up next month .

I figured out how to import the case and design the crown.

You simply right-click, click to advance then import. Select external scan options which will have a list, select itero.

Then click the export file and you'll see a long number, this is the case number. Click that and open.

It's very similar to open a 3M file if you've ever done that before.

My biggest problem is taking these stl's through the model builder and generating a die, by the end of the model process it leaves a gap/hole where the die should be.

I'm guessing because the margin is marked on that STL and has a small hole around it.

DanD

DanD

Reaction score
itero punches holes in the model because they think they have the rights to the model making by default. i think its level 3 of itero partnership that lets you get raw uncut stl data. been a long time since i played around with it but its one of the top tier partnerships.

Well that sucks, thanks for the input!

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Well that sucks, thanks for the input!
It does! They don't want to be left out and want their share of the pie, and it is not cheap! First you need to open model builder to accept non 3Shape files. Then you need to pay the itero toll, to be able to work on their files. I have refused to carve in, but one of my regulars has an itero system and wants to start sending files. I am still reluctant...

DanD

DanD

Reaction score
It does! They don't want to be left out and want their share of the pie, and it is not cheap! First you need to open model builder to accept non 3Shape files. Then you need to pay the itero toll, to be able to work on their files. I have ref
used to carve in, but one of my regulars has an itero system and wants to start sending files. I am still reluctant...

The itero models and stl's are nearly $40.

If youre doing a bruxzir type crown youre profit margins are pretty much shot.

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Maybe you could just import the scans to meshmixer or meshlab and close the space around the margin on the scan.
Not sure how well that would work and you would most likely lose the margin that Itero marked.
But at least you could get something to work with to make a model.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
The itero models and stl's are nearly $40.

If youre doing a bruxzir type crown youre profit margins are pretty much shot.
charge for itero models, then a crown fee.

DanD

DanD

Reaction score
Maybe you could just import the scans to meshmixer or meshlab and close the space around the margin on the scan.
Not sure how well that would work and you would most likely lose the margin that Itero marked.
But at least you could get something to work with to make a model.

That might be worth a try, thanks for the suggestion!

DanD

DanD

Reaction score
charge for itero models, then a crown fee.

Haha, i get it, but our Dr would rather go to glidewell than pay an additional 38 bucks.

He's one of our biggest producers. No win situation.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
That might be worth a try, thanks for the suggestion!
its not that easy. meshmixer doesnt easily read the long dies surface due to the length of the triangles.

DanD

DanD

Reaction score
its not that easy. meshmixer doesnt easily read the long dies surface due to the length of the triangles.

I did read about the three tiers when we signed the contract, however it wasn't clear that the STL files with tier 2 were different than tier 3.

If we get to the point where we're doing tons of work after this doctor settles in with the scanner, we might consider upgrading to tier 3.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Haha, i get it, but our Dr would rather go to glidewell than pay an additional 38 bucks.

He's one of our biggest producers. No win situation.
simple win is not printing models if hes sending itero scans but doesnt want to pay for them

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I do in house printed model from itero files all day long. no issues.

On import I change the order to digital impression and add the model and go. Have done tons no issues. Tier 2 and Tier 3 allow you to edit the margin and ditch. Tier 3 is the way to go but only if you have multiple doctors and the work load it's like 5k.

Top Bottom