Itero Distortion - Crowns won't fit itero models from one specific doctor

M

moorejav

Reaction score
We accept itero files from doctors all over without any issues. One local doctor recently started sending itero scans, and all was well at first. However, the last few cases all experienced the same issue, the crown would not seat in the mouth but it fit our model perfectly. We print our own models, so in order to troubleshoot further, we we ordered itero models for all the cases that wouldn't fit. When we received the models, just as the doctor indicated the crown won't seat on the itero model. They won't even go down on the die. But our mills put out perfect crowns for the models that we printed, and we aren't having this issue with any other itero doctor. So we have determined that it is not our printer, nor our mills. The files have changed somewhere in the process of getting them from itero. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Itero has reviewed all the files and said that everything looks normal, but there has to be some distortion, or scaling that happened between the doctor's scan and our import. Itero closed the case and said all looked normal. I have no idea what to do next. Any thoughts?

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
That's odd. You would think all the models would be bad and not just 1 client. Especially if you're getting models from the same Milling Centre.

Maybe it has something to do with his Itero scanner? But then why would your printed models work?

I think you will have to work with Itero to get to the bottom of this problem.

M

moorejav

Reaction score
Agreed! Our printed models work just fine for all other clients, and have worked for this client in the past. The crowns fit our models, but don't fit the mouth or the itero model. This leads me to believe the something is happening in the export to 3shape, or that there is some strange setting that someone selected along the way, but I don't know much about the process itero uses to export to us, or the process they use to mark margins etc. I appears though that our file is scaled down slightly from the one itero is milling from. Does anyone know of any settings during import/export to 3shape that could cause this? If so, the question is why did it change for the one doctor and not for any other doctors?

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
We accept itero files from doctors all over without any issues. One local doctor recently started sending itero scans, and all was well at first. However, the last few cases all experienced the same issue, the crown would not seat in the mouth but it fit our model perfectly. We print our own models, so in order to troubleshoot further, we we ordered itero models for all the cases that wouldn't fit. When we received the models, just as the doctor indicated the crown won't seat on the itero model. They won't even go down on the die. But our mills put out perfect crowns for the models that we printed, and we aren't having this issue with any other itero doctor. So we have determined that it is not our printer, nor our mills. The files have changed somewhere in the process of getting them from itero. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Itero has reviewed all the files and said that everything looks normal, but there has to be some distortion, or scaling that happened between the doctor's scan and our import. Itero closed the case and said all looked normal. I have no idea what to do next. Any thoughts?

Maybe try scanning the actual Itero model and see how that goes in the mouth. That would at least rule out the possibility of a defective itero scanner if the crown seats well in the mouth.
At that point, it would seem more like something going on with the import process.

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Wait, How come you crowns don't fit in the mouth? If they fit your printed models?

Is it just that the margins are marked differently? or are the contacts tight that it won't seat properly on the model and in the patients mouth?