Isn't there a platinum catalyst in porcelain ovens?

P

Paul Springs

Reaction score
Hello all.

I have a programat p200 that's beyond repair. Before I throw it out, isn't there a hunk of platinum in these things somewhere? I dismantled it a fair amount as if I'd find a label with "Platinum!" or
a dollar sign or something In there, but it all just looks like bits of metal. Any help you can offer is appreciated.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Silver on the boards; maybe a dot of platinum on the end of the thermocouple, but the days of a platinum wound muffle are long gone.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Oh boy am I stupid. I had a 35 year old furnace, the Unitek one pictured, and dropped it off at the county recycling center. Someone got a real bonus on this one. I
was told later that there was about $1000.00 in Platinum in the muffle. Yeah, I trashed that POS Straumann scanner at the same time. Thought I would have to pay to get rid of it.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Oh boy am I stupid. I had a 35 year old furnace, the Unitek one pictured, and dropped it off at the county recycling center. Someone got a real bonus on this one. I
was told later that there was about $1000.00 in Platinum in the muffle. Yeah, I trashed that POS Straumann scanner at the same time. Thought I would have to pay to get rid of it.

View attachment 32512
Did you give that old Straumann scanner a suplex at the drop off?

Attachments

• giphy (7).gif
    giphy (7).gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 1