Is there a name for this technique?

larsondental

larsondental

Reaction score
The process starts with a full contour wax up followed by making a putty matrix of it. Next step would be doing a cut back of the wax up and casting in metal. Using the matrix you stack porcelain to contour. I have done this myself but wondered if there is a name for this technique? From what I have heard this is a common technique in the Air Force labs.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I had to do it to create milled implant bridges, but I used pattern resin instead. Also I did not wax up the teeth but used denture teeth with wax. I then dublicated with silicone and poured the resin in. After that I reduced it. It was all needed to scan it in by the milling center (some large manufacturer). It was before full digital workflow. It was possible to change the screw channel position also so quite good option. However I don't know if there is a name for it.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
The process starts with a full contour wax up followed by making a putty matrix of it. Next step would be doing a cut back of the wax up and casting in metal. Using the matrix you stack porcelain to contour. I have done this myself but wondered if there is a name for this technique? From what I have heard this is a common technique in the Air Force labs.
I am not aware of a name my self, but isn't that what some companies call 'Copy-Wax'?

Been doing it for ages and the same technique is used in modern day digital dentistry. Just much easier at the click of a button... (Well, maybe a few clicks...)

M

MarkDT

Reaction score
is it not called a negative waxing technique? I have been away from it for a few years and already my mind is slipping

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Is there a name for it, probably. Most call it a diagnostic wax up and cut back. Its probably the someone's last name technique.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I call it using a matrix to cut-back. You can name it after me if you want.

doug

doug

Reaction score
WE always called it the Affinity Matrix. :D Actually I've only k now it as an incisal matrix to get overjet/overbite easily

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Voting Election Day GIF by #GoVote

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
is it not called a negative waxing technique? I have been away from it for a few years and already my mind is slipping
In Exocad, enter order as coping and you can choose whatever % of cutback you desire. So from Full contour design to wherever you wish. Can also mark areas only that you wish to be reduced.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
It was the norm back in the days when I worked doing LVI makeovers... the matrices were helpful to see the amount of cutback and to aid with porcelain layering and shaping. Yeah, empress 1 was king and dinos roamed the earth...Rofl

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
what shade of Toilet Bowl would you like your new teeth sir

ah yes, American Standard. excellent choice. though i myself prefer the Pro Flo.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
this is not technology, this is wax.

this is the opposite of technology.
no part of what you did as a techo back in the day you used your dental technology skills so dental technology is the correct term. just old technology thats all . cool hand have you ever hand waxed anything serious question as some of my young techs never have.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
no part of what you did as a techo back in the day you used your dental technology skills so dental technology is the correct term. just old technology thats all . cool hand have you ever hand waxed anything serious question as some of my young techs never have.
yes, i hand waxed ti bases and custom abutment holes closed so that i didn't have to close them digitally. the extra spacer at the top also ensured a better fit.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
have you hand waxed study models vmk frameworks full gold crowns

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
no, no, and no.

but i was among the pioneers of those in 2008-2009 when 3shape didn't have copy-wax techniques, didn't have full anatomy modules, and didn't have locks on their file formats.

i crashed 4 computers making "copings" (that werent copings) when i worked for Aurum group bringing digital the works of Moses and Abraham, famous waxers of a bygone era.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
so no then, i think you are missing the point.

Top Bottom