is there a better way? denture Id's

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
Judging by the lack of response I'm assuming that either you guys tried the id technique and didn't like it, haven't taken the time to try it, don't do id's, or simply don't have any interest in changing the way you already do it. I was hoping for some feedback good or bad.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I do id's.......haven't tried your technique yet. I'm still reveling in your last trick you taught me hydent (light cured baseplate from zahn). That made a huge difference from the old vacuum forming I was using. Thanks for the tip. As for ID's....I have one Dentist who requires that I put his full name and title along with the patients full name and last 4 of there SSN.......is that a little extreme?

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
I always thought they should put the Dr.'s office phone number and the patient's name in a denture.

hydent

hydent

Reaction score
I do id's.......haven't tried your technique yet. I'm still reveling in your last trick you taught me hydent (light cured baseplate from zahn). That made a huge difference from the old vacuum forming I was using. Thanks for the tip. As for ID's....I have one Dentist who requires that I put his full name and title along with the patients full name and last 4 of there SSN.......is that a little extreme?

That may be a little extreme but an interesting idea that I haven't thought of before you mentioned it (the drs name and title) probably not a bad idea. I'm glad I was able to help out in some small way.

I did talk to another tech that tried it, most of you know him, but he said he was worried as hell that he was going to have to redo the id because it was so foggy before he packed or injected it (not sure what he does) but it turned out crystal clear.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score

Why does't he just ask for WAR and PEACE???

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
That may be a little extreme but an interesting idea that I haven't thought of before you mentioned it (the drs name and title) probably not a bad idea. I'm glad I was able to help out in some small way.

I did talk to another tech that tried it, most of you know him, but he said he was worried as hell that he was going to have to redo the id because it was so foggy before he packed or injected it (not sure what he does) but it turned out crystal clear.
I only have one dr in a state where a name is required. I have 5 cases in the works right now, so when I get to that point, I'll let you know how it worked for me...

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Why does't he just ask for WAR and PEACE???

I charge for the name.......but I'm thinking if I have to keep this up I should charge for the letter.....lol

CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
What happens if the patient moves out of state, changes dentists, ect. How does his info help?
I haven't tried your technique yet; guess I should attempt something new.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
What happens if the patient moves out of state, changes dentists, ect. How does his info help?

That's a great point. Most IDs are the equivalent of a lost and found for the patient unable to keep track of their denture (read nursing home).
There is of course the whole forensic ID thing, but most methods won't survive a fire and DNA is used in homicides even if there is dental.
Does anyone know if those RF chips can survive a fire intense enough to destroy the denture?

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score

That's why i like the Dr's number and the patient's name. If he moves or changes his number he may be hard to find. But if he loses his denture then all he has to do is call his original doc to see if anyone has called about it. If it is a police matter then a call to the original doc may provide further ID info. Office numbers rarely change and having the office number ID's the doc or at least the practice that should have some info.

CloudPeakDL

CloudPeakDL

Reaction score
-We did ID's in the Air Force; used last name and last 4 of SSN; right now I just use the first initial and last name.
Do you find a lot of patients don't want the name? I have been seeing and increase in requests for no name.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
-We did ID's in the Air Force; used last name and last 4 of SSN; right now I just use the first initial and last name.
Do you find a lot of patients don't want the name? I have been seeing and increase in requests for no name.
I don't usually put them in at all. Most of my requests come from states where it has to be put in by law. Unless told otherwise, I too just go with last name first initial.

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
Another ID approach

The ID name is easy. We are just using Triad clear material with our Triad machine. We print out the name on the computer using like 8 font - Times New Roman or whatever you like. Then just on the finished denture, cut the paper very thin, apply the clear Triad gel to the name, throw it into the Triad machine for a few minutes, smooth afterwards if needed and voila done. You can get creative w/ fonts, sizes etc.
patient ID example.jpg

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
It looks as though most of you are press packing placing the ID. Here is what I was doing. Typing the name out on pink paper, trimming it just outside the name for a border. Just before the final pack, I would lay it on the tissue side (intaglio) of the denture taking a thin strip of the same acrylic I am packing and place it over and did the final close. Pros, was not visible and did not disturb the characterization. Cons, if and when the denture needed a reline, you may lose it if you have to grind it out.
Now with injection, I cut a slot in the denture the length and width of the ID and repair it in using clear acrylic. I dont really think there is a right or wrong to this, just whatever you are comfortable doing.

S

Stella02

Reaction score
First cut a piece of baseplate wax larger than the id being placed then dovetail the sides of the wax. Place the dovetailed swatch of wax in desired area for the id. Invest and boilout as normal, as you can see the dovetailed wax created undercut in the negative. when the flask cools down then mix desired amount of lucitone clear heat cure in a dappen dish place it in the negative space as pictured build it up beyond the rim 1 to 2 mm of the dovetailed negative next place your id material in place lightly pressing it into place, then try the flask halves together to check clearance. If you mix your acrylic at this point then the id will have reached a semi hard state that will be sufficient for packing or injecting especially if the flask is still warm. It's really similar to a in flask colorizing material like candulor's color tones it's the same principle and the good part is that it's quite convenient to do when you are coloring. Once it reaches that semi hard state you can then inject it as normal the dovetailed negative holds it into place. Brian I'm not sure how it would cure for ivocap you might try using the ivo clear material instead. I thought it would end up with porosity as it looked kind of dry and foggy before I packed it but they turn out exellent. I hope you all will try it on at least 5 denture's and tell me what you think. Tim how dare you replace a good old fashiond type writer with new technology. Actually I'll have to look into one of those the typwriter has some sentimental value its been around so long and it is quite convenient too.
View attachment 560 View attachment 561 View attachment 562 View attachment 563 View attachment 564 View attachment 565
Smart idea! What are you using as the name tag? I was just told the names I've been putting in are dissolving after so long.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
It looks as though most of you are press packing placing the ID. Here is what I was doing. Typing the name out on pink paper, trimming it just outside the name for a border. Just before the final pack, I would lay it on the tissue side (intaglio) of the denture taking a thin strip of the same acrylic I am packing and place it over and did the final close. Pros, was not visible and did not disturb the characterization. Cons, if and when the denture needed a reline, you may lose it if you have to grind it out.
Now with injection, I cut a slot in the denture the length and width of the ID and repair it in using clear acrylic. I dont really think there is a right or wrong to this, just whatever you are comfortable doing.

I like this idea as you get to charge for id when doing a reline.... A buck is a buck.....

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
One at a time.... lol.... spending all the profits on labor for id's. More artistry--- not production.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
One at a time.... lol.... spending all the profits on labor for id's. More artistry--- not production.
You have a way to put names in other than one at a time? Unless you are printing your bases I am doubtful.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
That's a great point. Most IDs are the equivalent of a lost and found for the patient unable to keep track of their denture (read nursing home).
There is of course the whole forensic ID thing, but most methods won't survive a fire and DNA is used in homicides even if there is dental.
Does anyone know if those RF chips can survive a fire intense enough to destroy the denture?
The chip itself may survive a fire. The antenna and capacitor support electronics survival would depend on the tech generation and packaging. The glass encased ones like Digital Angel and Verachip were putting in Fido a decade + ago would have a good chance. But they keep getting cheaper and less robust to be even smaller. They are in way more places than you would dream. Levis, tires, etc.
the issue is knowing which datavase to compare against as all they do is output a string of numbers to look up somewhere else.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
We use the Chip (DentureID.com) on most of our cases. We happen to be in a state where a law (public health code) says we have to put names into all partials/dentures. The chip is relatively inexpensive and it's not hard for us to put it in. Been going great, have to order more.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
We use the Chip (DentureID.com) on most of our cases. We happen to be in a state where a law (public health code) says we have to put names into all partials/dentures. The chip is relatively inexpensive and it's not hard for us to put it in. Been going great, have to order more.
Same exact idea as RFID, just a different frequency. Didn't know about that one, thanks!

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
You have a way to put names in other than one at a time? Unless you are printing your bases I am doubtful.
10 dentures, 10 different names, all inserted using acrylic--- no triad goop-- very efficiently using production line technique. And they are easy to read and aesthetically pleasing to the eye too!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
10 dentures, 10 different names, all inserted using acrylic--- no triad goop-- very efficiently using production line technique. And they are easy to read and aesthetically pleasing to the eye too!
So you're putting them in when packing? Or after and cold curing a dozen at a time with clear?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Have you had any pushback on the dentureID? I discussed it today with a ddsguy who said basicaly "If it's not human readable why bother"

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Have you had any pushback on the dentureID? I discussed it today with a ddsguy who said basicaly "If it's not human readable why bother"
Not really... I just said that's how we do it now. Had a client whine that most of his denture patients are old and don't have a smartphone. Told him that's what they said about colored tv...get with the times.