Is it possible to print a model from an impression scan with a stone die in 3Shape

PearlySweetKate

PearlySweetKate

Reaction score
With scanning an impression in 3shape and using a stone check die, in model builder the models aren't meshed into one printable stl. How would you go about printing this?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I don't use 3shape, so take this with a grain of fermentable grains. 😃

Is it possible to take a scan of the stone die and match it to the scanned impression to make one solid mesh or close to it? Save that and run it through the model design?

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
With scanning an impression in 3shape and using a stone check die, in model builder the models aren't meshed into one printable stl. How would you go about printing this?
If you are looking for a solid model with the die and a single analog check die, why not just use the solid model and ditch around the die? You'll have your good check die for margins and the solid as (if I understood your goal) working model.

C

CadGenius41

Reaction score
I recently heard you will be able to print a model from an impression + Stone die scan in the next release.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I think they fixed it so you're able to in 2020 but for sure in 2021. We are in beta right now. Send me a case and i can run it through beta and let you know. Pm me for my email. Or post a dropbox link.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
If you are looking for a solid model with the die and a single analog check die, why not just use the solid model and ditch around the die? You'll have your good check die for margins and the solid as (if I understood your goal) working model.
When you scan a impression in the margins are never clear, so you scan a poured single die in for the margins that have been hand trimmed. But to make a model from that file was hard previously cause of the gap between the die and model. Unless the impression scan has super clear margins or even readable ones, then you can do the standard IO workflow, marking and have model builder section the die for you. Impression scanning can have two different type of workflows.

PearlySweetKate

PearlySweetKate

Reaction score
I think they fixed it so you're able to in 2020 but for sure in 2021. We are in beta right now. Send me a case and i can run it through beta and let you know. Pm me for my email. Or post a dropbox link.
Sent you a message.

PearlySweetKate

PearlySweetKate

Reaction score
I don't use 3shape, so take this with a grain of fermentable grains. 😃

Is it possible to take a scan of the stone die and match it to the scanned impression to make one solid mesh or close to it? Save that and run it through the model design?
I think it's possible with something like Meshmixer, just wondering if there is a workaround in 3shape

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
When you scan a impression in the margins are never clear, so you scan a poured single die in for the margins that have been hand trimmed. But to make a model from that file was hard previously cause of the gap between the die and model. Unless the impression scan has super clear margins or even readable ones, then you can do the standard IO workflow, marking and have model builder section the die for you. Impression scanning can have two different type of workflows.
Of course. I know the process, and Exo lets me merge the single stone die in easily, but to clarify my previous post: the impression scan printed model would be used a solid contact and occlusion model. The single poured die would simply be the margin die.

J

Joe99

Reaction score
hi after scanning the file modify to digital file and design your case and print model with removable die by selecting remove neighber

M

Marcin K

Reaction score
It fairly simple with mesh mixer. you could go always create a "ditched" model by combing the the stl file in meshmixer and then use that in modelbuilder. it will be easier than trying to wrestle with 3shape trying to combine them. Unless 3shape has some game changing fixes or features I always recommend learning meshmixer.

Top Bottom