Is it okay to process an acrylic partial on a model that has separator that is used to process flexible partials on it?

T

Thomas H

Reaction score
We have a case that was orginally a flexible partial order, but the teeth are too small to drill diatoric holes now, so we are going to make an acrylic partial instead. My question is: Do we have to re-articulate with the duplicate model because the orginal now has the separator on it? Or would it be okay to just use the same model?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
We have a case that was orginally a flexible partial order, but the teeth are too small to drill diatoric holes now, so we are going to make an acrylic partial instead. My question is: Do we have to re-articulate with the duplicate model because the orginal now has the separator on it? Or would it be okay to just use the same model?
Providing it's not one of the alginate based ones, but instead it's APS or whatever snowrock suggests, It won't hurt a thing aside from the wax not staying put real well. Not well at all.

If it is the goopy old school kind, then you can steam or peel it off easily.

T

Thomas H

Reaction score
Providing it's not one of the alginate based ones, but instead it's APS or whatever snowrock suggests, It won't hurt a thing aside from the wax not staying put real well. Not well at all.

If it is the goopy old school kind, then you can steam or peel it off easily.
We don't have a steamer.

We're worried that it will stick to the acrylic on the tissue side adding more work cleaning it up when finishing it.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
We don't have a steamer.

We're worried that it will stick to the acrylic on the tissue side adding more work cleaning it up when finishing it.
Toothbrush, gently, with cold running water. What doesn't come off won't.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
If you are using the oily TCS material, no you can not, it won’t set. You have to wash it with hot water first and then put your acrylic separator .

T

Thomas H

Reaction score
If you are using the oily TCS material, no you can not, it won’t set. You have to wash it with hot water first and then put your acrylic separator .
It's the separator that goes with Duraflex. It's like superglue, but a little more runny. It won't come of with an little hot water. I would neet to set the teeth on the duplicate model after re-articulating it.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
It's the separator that goes with Duraflex. It's like superglue, but a little more runny. It won't come of with an little hot water. I would neet to set the teeth on the duplicate model after re-articulating it.
That is not the TCS oily material that I am talking about. You are mentioning the model sealer that is a runny super glue and not the lubricant. Theses are two different things.

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
I have a feeling I'm too late but from my experience that won't work. The acrylic will bond to the myerson superglue separator. You should duplicate the duplicate model and remount the case. Hopefully you got an accurate duplicate the first time, otherwise what seems to fit the duplicated master model after finishing may be distorted and won't fit in the mouth. I'll share with you a little tip that I do for duplication. I take some wax/putty and totally fill in the peripheral roll of the cast so you have an easier time removing the model from the hydrocolloid in the duplication flask. Less chance of distortion that way. That peripheral roll can really lock those master models in there, and make it a real pain in the ass to remove them.

Top Bottom