Is EXOCAD mostly CPU or GPU rendering? Where do I place my dollar

R

rgp

Reaction score
Hello guys, long time no post! I'm doing a bit of research, is exocad mostly a CPU rendering or GPU rendering software? Also how does it handle multithreading?
Also, if you have some tech articles or video benchmarks to share on this, please. The nerdier the better.
Thank you & much love!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
combination of both, mostly exocad is improved by having either a large cache or high bandwidth gpu, but exocad CAN run entirely on cpu, making it pretty versatile for laptops that don't use a gpu, however it tends to be buggy and slow. exocad recommends you to have a gpu but i've never seen a benchmark.

not tried in on AMD hardware yet, apart from R9 5950x which was fine.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Let's say you have a giant billboard that is a mosaic. The CPU has to calculate the position where each different color tile goes to make the picture. The GPU has to move the ladder, climb up, and put it in that position, climb down, repeat.

An upgrade in either will reflect the speed of it designated operation.

When it comes to Exocad or other CAD for that matter, you'll need a Vette, not a Hyundai.

R

rgp

Reaction score
Yes, it's better to have more horsepower than less.
I'm looking to get the most bang for my dollar and want to understand where to I place that proverbial dollar, GPU or CPU.

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I just put all these at my design stations. Probably a little overkill, but I only update PCs every five years because it's a pain with five design stations and four scan stations.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220827-213333.png
    Screenshot_20220827-213333.png
    485.2 KB · Views: 68
R

rgp

Reaction score
I have, it's glitchy AF!!! Have to use Nvidia with Intel, plus the SSD helps.
I'm pretty sure it's only the GPU and it's driver support, I don't see how the CPU can be at fault.

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
I just put all these at my design stations. Probably a little overkill, but I only update PCs every five years because it's a pain with five design stations and four scan stations.
Rob, I built a similar beast in the spring . Make sure you have enough cooling as The 11900k can run hot!
I ended up putting in a MasterCooler 360 Sub Zero ( TEC..thermo electric cooler). When doing complicated hybrid designs it would hit above 100* C and throttle back. With the TEC it idles at 15* and only 50* C when it under full load and powers through complicated designs without any hiccups!

Last edited:
Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Went with an Alien 6 yrs ago still running perfectly. Was a beast at the time Nvidia Titan X and all kinds of power. Went that route so that if we hit a glitch it would most likely be software to examine rather than a barely there hardware set-up.

G

GregDiamond

Reaction score
exocad in general needs the following system requirements to really run most effectively and efficiently:

Suggested:
  • CPU: Intel Core-i9 11900k / AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4 non ECC
  • Graphics: Nvidia RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6) or RTX 3070 / AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT or 6700XT (6 GB GDDR6)
  • Screen resolution: WQHD (2560x1440),recommended: UHD (3840x2160)
  • Power: 750+ Watt
Minimum:
  • CPU: Quad-Core and 2.8 Ghz
    Note: AMD Ryzen ZEN2 CPUs e.g. AMD Ryzen 7 3700X or 3900X
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Graphics: Nvidia GTX or AMD Radeon series dedicated GPU with at least 1 GB graphics memory
  • Minimum screen resolution: 1080p (1920x1080)
  • Power: 450 Watts
Cheers!:cool:

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Rob, I built a similar beast in the spring . Make sure you have enough cooling as The 11900k can run hot!
I ended up putting in a MasterCooler 360 Sub Zero ( TEC..thermo electric cooler). When doing complicated hybrid designs it would hit above 100* C and throttle back. With the TEC it idles at 15* and only 50* C when it under full load and powers through complicated designs without any hiccups!
Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye on it, it came with a liquid cooler that seems to be doing the trick, although one of the beasts looks like it was sent with a bad power supply, it will just shut off (temp is fine),no warnings, no pop ups when rebooted , very random hence why I think it's a bum power supply. Other than that, the rest are flying, those hamster wheels are smoking fast ;)

H

HerrBulles

Reaction score
hello ! I use that specs HP Omen laptop , it works like a charm for my humble needs :

Intel© Core™ i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz × 6 , 31.2 GiB , 2x Samsung NVME2 x1TB , NVIDIA Corporation GA106M [GeForce RTX 3060 Mobile / Max-Q]

I did thermal cumpound replacement and upgraded to something with better heat transfer , after notticing that doing complicated hybrid designs it would hit above 100* C . Now it stays to 85`C

E

erzdaemon

Reaction score
If you plan on using the PartialCad Module, this one is actually using the Cuda Cores (RTX 3060 in our case).

Special graphics card requirements for PartialCAD

• The software will work with Nvidia and AMD series graphics cards only.
  • A minimum of 2GB graphics memory is required (3GB preferred). A minimum CUDA level of 3.0 or OpenCL 1.2 is also required. (see list of CUDA levels of different graphics cards).
  • For QuickSnap workflows a minimum of 4GB graphics memory is recommended.
  • Older or entry-level Nvidia and AMD chips might not work well, or will result in poor performance.
  • Intel integrated graphics chips are not supported for PartialCAD.

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
never had any issues with amd cpu or gpu. I'd suggest the fastest cpu possible. I didn't notice any difference between high end gpu and mid range gpu.