IPC Quality Control

L

labdude

Reaction score
Depends on where you get them from, MAYBE.
I got some from GL. Comes with instructions. Stated that the lock should be tested by moving the lock only 1 click till it is free from the tooled section.
So....everyone in the pack I get is already half way down the steps on the IPC.
I think maybe Don would like to know about this. I call him.

He says the "newer" ones don't have a problem with being removed and replaced without excessive weaking of the lock. Also it goes on about squeezing the locks closing them very slightly. In a post here Don mentioned that this was "bastardizing" the design.

O.K. with me. Just...anyone else here get these instructions???

Also, he lets me know in that conversation that, "The tools that I received (in an incorrect shipment from Space Maintainers),may be to small to fit on the "new" IPC for adjustment". New tools should be just fine.

So...there may a be a few or a lot of undersize tools out there. You need to try them onto the IPC lock to be sure of size.
I sent one off to a doctor earlier, now I get to correct this. They can be ground to open the jaws so they work correctly.

Don mentioned as welll that the U-shaped stop wire isn't really needed as the new locks don't slide that easily when pumiced or polished. The "old" ones used to slip, so they started using the .036 stop wire. Your choice if you want to continue useing it. I have by passed the use of the stop wire with no problem.

Don is either....
1. very busy.
or
2. not happy with the way I deal with him here and not posting anymore.

Still.... a little QC is in order for this not so "new" unit. At least sharing of the info concerning it.
Space Maintainers and Gl are apparently not that interested in the IPC either, except for producing and selling the appliances made with it.
Us other folks are making the money, making these, that they would make, if we would go away.
Mike.

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
MIke ~
I thought Don said he was going to be away this week for AAO??
I have made one appliance that you are speaking of for one dr. so far, I have not heard anything back + or- I will ask in a few more weeks, I believe it was seated about a month ago.

Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score
Mike:

I am OK with how you deal with me, hell doctors beat me up every day...why not you!

The new IPC locks are so much better they need very little babysitting.

1. Test them by sliding them all the way down the shaft until the lock is past the tooling, slide the lock off and replace it back on the "Starting End" and slide it to the first tooled section or first click.

2. You can protect the lock using the the U-Shaped wire or by covering it with rubber tubing but the new locks are much less likely to accidentally move during fabrication.

3. The IPC tools all need to be modified to accommidate the larger size of the lock by simply grinding it out, we modify ours before sending them out but I was late in telling Space Maintainers to do so. Also advise your accounts they can use a ligature director if they don't want to purchase the tool.

And I must agree with you....
Space Maintainers or Great Lakes seems very little interested in selling the IPCs.
I think part of this is that the original version had failure issues, locks slipped once in a while but the fact that any of them failed worried them?

I am going to create an IPC kit that will include all the parts needed to make the 2008 Distalizer, the 3-Way Distalizer and the IPC E-Arch. It will also include a DVD on how to make all the appliances as well as a booklet of instructions. I will sell these kits directly as well as to SML and GL, you might still need to get the IPCs from GL or SML but I will personally support the product with the accessories, information and training.

This will be my summer project with my son Nick...like I have any spare time????!!!

Mike:
You are correct in stating the product has no support, I will change this.

Regards,
Don

L

labdude

Reaction score
Crap....now what can I bitch about???

L

labdude

Reaction score
OH YEAH!!!!
Hey Trisha.....that meeting was last month dear!!! 5/16-5/20.:caked:

Top Bottom