IO scans out of whack ?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I just had an interesting conversation with one of my accounts about the accuracy of io scans. They have both a trios and an itero. He thinks natural teeth are optically active given their translucence and refractance which can cause a slight inaccuracy is some cases. What are your thoughts ? Is there any study out there in this regard ?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
This is not an exact science.
Powdering will affect accuracy
Triple trays? setting times,overhead lights, earthquakes,cleavage....

I see noise from reflective surfaces buy usually on buccal surfaces and not on contacts or margins.
Where I do see inaccuracies is on retraction and hamburger tissue from shaky hands.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
With overbleached/peroxide damaged teeth it may be a mild issue, but hydrating the mouth before scanning will reduce that.

I'm with @rkm on this one. Bad scan technique will be far more of a constant problem instead of this foofighter level stuff.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
that would be the case if we were using any LiDAR based tomography but we aren't so it isn't, because laser light bounces off of anything that isn't entirely clear. this makes it suitable for scanning everything except shiny surfaces and transparent objects. Laser scanning is NOT the same as LiDAR.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I just had an interesting conversation with one of my accounts about the accuracy of io scans. They have both a trios and an itero. He thinks natural teeth are optically active given their translucence and refractance which can cause a slight inaccuracy is some cases. What are your thoughts ? Is there any study out there in this regard ?
I can imagine this being the case.

Also, I always thought, stitching all these hundreds images together, with no hard reference point, cant be a 100% precise. Especially when doing full arch impressions. However, I am amazed how accurate it actually is...

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Inaccuracies like this? Same die but crown milled twice.Banghead Iterror!

03FABB36-0183-48B4-88B3-B4DDBB528ACC.jpeg B36F2006-04CA-4085-8C52-A2E9D550AA9B.jpeg

Last edited:
zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Had an itero scan which I used the scan data to mill a crown then printed the model... lo and behold it was a half a mm open contact in the mouth. They took a pvs , I got itero to mill a model for me... the pvs was right, itero model was no different then my printed one. Go figure...Banghead

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you sure that's not a case of Dr Tight Temp and the miracle open contacts on every case?

if its a one off, ask the pt if they eat a lot of popcorn.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
you sure that's not a case of Dr Tight Temp and the miracle open contacts on every case?

if its a one off, ask the pt if they eat a lot of popcorn.
Nope, they do lots of pvs ...never had an issue

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
in your scan, compare the surface of the contacts. maybe something broke?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
yea but scan the stone, compare stone with printed and milled. maybe the stone shows breaks in contact surface enamel?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Itero sucks the big one.The only way they stay in business is to prevent other IOS companies from sending file to Invisalign.

Lol, maybe the scanner is so inaccurate that it moves teeth without the cad software.

Top Bottom