Implant Scanbody

K

Kiper Lee

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm always having a hard time picking the proper scanbody, for example, like the images below, am I choosing the correct scanbody? If I cannot align/synchronize the size/shape then it's not the one I'm looking for? right?
Can anyone share some tips of chosing implant library? Thanks in advance.
3fd90d2d5a310bf11de40d294557385.png 9b94fc03fa6abfbbc05c5e47698ea1e.png 98cc33f36393395ef54ad395c4589e5.png

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
looks like a Straumann scan body, not a Dess

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
I agree with Andrew, that definitely looks like a straumann.

You may already know this but just in case; the implant library you choose in the order form will determine which scan bodies are available. Some libraries will have scan bodies for more than one part (Dess is a good example, I know they have libraries for their bases that allow you to use more than just their scan bodies) but if you can't find the scan body under that drop down then you would need to change the order form. You will always need to use a library that includes both the parts you want and the scan body that you want. If this doesn't exist it is typically best to order the scan body that goes with the parts that you want to use.

edit: I just noticed that maybe you aren't on 3shape so some of that explanation probably is useless to you. I'll leave it there just in case I'm wrong though

apostolis159

apostolis159

Reaction score
I agree with Andrew, that definitely looks like a straumann.

maybe you aren't on 3shape so some of that explanation probably is useless to you. I'll leave it there just in case I'm wrong though
Yeah, pics are from exocad, not 3sheep.

Definitely looks like a straumann scanbody. Is this an intraoral scan? If yes, can you call the doc and confirm what scanbody they used?
(This is always they best tactic. Make sure you know what scanbody the docs are using for the intraoral scans so you can accurately use the correct corresponding libraries in exo.)

Since this looks to be a Straumann part, the library you're looking for is "Straumann Variobase Abutment", then you choose RC and the gingiva height you like. Obviously, in this case you have to get your Ti-base from Straumann.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Yeah, pics are from exocad, not 3sheep.

Definitely looks like a straumann scanbody. Is this an intraoral scan? If yes, can you call the doc and confirm what scanbody they used?
(This is always they best tactic. Make sure you know what scanbody the docs are using for the intraoral scans so you can accurately use the correct corresponding libraries in exo.)

Since this looks to be a Straumann part, the library you're looking for is "Straumann Variobase Abutment", then you choose RC and the gingiva height you like. Obviously, in this case you have to get your Ti-base from Straumann.
3Sheep! LOL

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
3 sheep has a much smoother workflow.

K

Kiper Lee

Reaction score
Thank you guys! really appreciate it! Yes it's EXO CAD, I realized 3shape has the crowd, but I personally prefer EXO cad.
I don't understand why it has DESS prefixion. STR can refer to Straumann, is Straumann one of the brenchs of DESS? I was really confused about the implant brand affiliation, It showed DESS in my library but it's not a DESS? Sorry, I guess it's kinda a silly question for your guy.

Yes it's an intra oral case. I've tried to reach the Dr, sometimes they sent me a link to the implant supply company they had purchased and told me to download the library and find the correct scanbody, sometimes they pick the scanbody but turn out did not fit in PT's mouth so I continuously remake the abutment.
How can you all master the ability to tell the exact brand of implant parts by looking at the scanbody? Did they have a specific size/shape or interactive(like hexagon or pentagon) so we can identify? I'd love to acquire that. It's a very useful skill for implant cases. I use to identify brands by observing the analog or impression coping, but everything goes digitalization nowadays, I mean the analogs and impression copings and screws have the easier telling criterion(color/shape),like Hiossen, Creodent etc etc, but I can't see much different from the custom abutment or scanbody, especially in digital.Banghead

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
Once you have handled enough scan bodies you will begin to know what they belong to by looking at them. There are a few exceptions with companies that either have a 3rd party system and supply scan bodies and parts for a lot of companies (DESS is one of these) or a company like ELOS, which doesn't make all the parts, but they provide high quality scan bodies for a lot of platforms and some companies choose to use theirs rather than make there own. So if you get something like a DESS or ELOS scan body, you can't identify the implant by looking at the scan body. In other cases, like straumann, the scan bodies are pretty easily identified once you've seen them a few times.

While I can't help with navigating ExoCad, I can clear up that the reason that STR shows up under DESS is that as mentioned above, DESS makes parts for a lot of different companies including Straumann. I thought that DESS had a library that used Straumanns actual scan body and let you design to dess with it. But you can definitely get a straumann library that will work for this scan body, you would just have to use the Straumann brand components.

This page should have the downloads for Straumanns ExoCAD library

apostolis159

apostolis159

Reaction score
I don't understand why it has DESS prefixion. STR can refer to Straumann, is Straumann one of the brenchs of DESS? I was really confused about the implant brand affiliation, It showed DESS in my library but it's not a DESS? Sorry, I guess it's kinda a silly question for your guy.
It has a DESS prefix cause this isn't the Straumann library, but it is the DESS library for Straumann,
Like @npdynamite mentions, some 3rd party companies (ELOS, Dynamic Abutments, DESS) make scanbodies and abutments for multiple systems, hence your confusion.

Yes it's an intra oral case. I've tried to reach the Dr, sometimes they sent me a link to the implant supply company they had purchased and told me to download the library and find the correct scanbody, sometimes they pick the scanbody but turn out did not fit in PT's mouth so I continuously remake the abutment.
Now this, is unacceptable behaviour and definitely their fault. The Dr. has to specify what scanbody they used so you can accurately choose the correct library and what ti-base you buy/mill.

How can you all master the ability to tell the exact brand of implant parts by looking at the scanbody? Did they have a specific size/shape or interactive(like hexagon or pentagon) so we can identify? I'd love to acquire that. It's a very useful skill for implant cases. I use to identify brands by observing the analog or impression coping, but everything goes digitalization nowadays, I mean the analogs and impression copings and screws have the easier telling criterion(color/shape),like Hiossen, Creodent etc etc, but I can't see much different from the custom abutment or scanbody, especially in digital.Banghead
Basically what I made in bold. If you've been working with implants a lot, eventually you learn the make/model of each by simply looking at it. It takes some time. It's exactly the same with digital if you scan yourself and have the scanbodies in hand and use them a few times. It's slightly different with IO scans, since the docs need to specify what they used even on the obvious ones, but eventually you'll be able to recognise the most frequent ones.

A recent example that comes to mind. I received a scan with an Adin implant a few months back. Adin only has one scanbody shape regardless of implant line. So once you know the brand and model, you're good. However, they make the scanbody in two heights (7&10mm) and the doc didn't even know that. They just used whatever their reseller send them. The exocad library shows both, and that's when I realised and had to call and ask for specifics.
Not much of a tragedy really, but you get the point.

K

Kiper Lee

Reaction score
Well thank you guys, that's really helpful and enlightening. I did lack experience of implant brands, and I've started and spent plenty of time on manually anatomy/wax up PFM crown/bridge, but now these are out of style, so was I. It feels like when, as a child, we devote energy and time to a popular game trying to fit with other kids and when you finally get good, other kids already grow tired of it.:rolleyes: Remind me of a word from George Martin "When you play game of throne you win or you die, there is no middle ground"
It has a DESS prefix cause this isn't the Straumann library, but it is the DESS library for Straumann,
Like @npdynamite mentions, some 3rd party companies (ELOS, Dynamic Abutments, DESS) make scanbodies and abutments for multiple systems, hence your confusion.
There are a few exceptions with companies that either have a 3rd party system and supply scan bodies and parts for a lot of companies (DESS is one of these) or a company like ELOS
Oh, no wonder all my libraries show a list of certain brands. I take DESS can be compatible with Straumann and many other brands.
Awesome, many thanks for your detailed explanation! I've found the right straumann scan body now, thank you guys! I love this forum, full of enthusiastic people and kind hearts. I can always get things straight here.❤️

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
I was sent this I/O scan, but have no idea what scan body it might be. Supposed to be for a Biohorizon. Any help? Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 19
apostolis159

apostolis159

Reaction score
Does look like an impression copping to me too. Maybe call the doc and ask for them to specify which scanbody they used?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I was sent this I/O scan, but have no idea what scan body it might be. Supposed to be for a Biohorizon. Any help? Thanks!
HAHA, that's just classic right there. They put the impression snap post on it and scanned it as an I/0...Dear Lord, you can't make this shlt up. I bet it was a Trios Doc :p

Gru

Gru

Reaction score

Thats the part. They say it can be used for digital impressions. don't know anything else
Thanks, That'll help.

HAHA, that's just classic right there. They put the impression snap post on it and scanned it as an I/0...Dear Lord, you can't make this shlt up. I bet it was a Trios Doc :p
Actually, this doc is a very good one. I applaud his move toward digital impressions and don't fault him. FWIW it's iTero.