Implant fees

Manny

Manny

Reaction score
Hi, I just started my own lab, am not sure how to charge these two types of implants:
-the ones that come made from Atlantis for example, do I only charge the doctor what Atlantis charge me? My time and knowledge needs to be reflected, if yes how much?
-the ones that I make customized for example UCLA castable abutments
I know some labs charge an implant processing fee equal with the cost of the parts
Please advise, thanks

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Case 1:
Don't give away your time. You are also fronting money for that abutment.. You also may have to reorder that abutment if something goes wrong. Take these into account.

Case 2: Again, you are fronting money, may have to reorder the part factor becomes more likely if there is a power outage during burnout, a bad cast, etc. And charge extra for your time over a regular situation because you are using more expensive knowledge.

Don't know how much it helped, pricing is a thing we all fight with.

Manny

Manny

Reaction score
Case 1:
Don't give away your time. You are also fronting money for that abutment.. You also may have to reorder that abutment if something goes wrong. Take these into account.

Case 2: Again, you are fronting money, may have to reorder the part factor becomes more likely if there is a power outage during burnout, a bad cast, etc. And charge extra for your time over a regular situation because you are using more expensive knowledge.

Don't know how much it helped, pricing is a thing we all fight with.

Thanks JMN, it sure helps, there are doctors wanting to use your time, knowledge and yes, money and pay after that what the actual cost of the abutment is, nothing more. I don’t accept that but what percentage of the abutment price is fair to charge on top for my involvement?

doug

doug

Reaction score
I suggest you speak to your Atlantis rep about pricing. If you don't know how to price the abutment they can help you, they may even give you a better price since they are losing business to other milling centers. Your knowledge has value, never sell yourself short. There are a lot of dentists out there who will rely on your knowledge because it keeps them from having to learn how a particular system works.

Manny

Manny

Reaction score
I suggest you speak to your Atlantis rep about pricing. If you don't know how to price the abutment they can help you, they may even give you a better price since they are losing business to other milling centers. Your knowledge has value, never sell yourself short. There are a lot of dentists out there who will rely on your knowledge because it keeps them from having to learn how a particular system works.

I’m speaking with my rep right now, thanks

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
@Manny Something I forgot until @doug rattled my neurons with his post. Many of these manufacturers have a suggested retail price. Ask them all if they have a set MSRP, or what they charge the doctor.

Some also will have pricing levels, that is if you buy more stuff, you go up a level from a 'bronze customer' to a 'silver customer' and their prices will change at the levels.
Usually only oral surgeons or implant focused labs will do enough business with them to 'level up'

Manny

Manny

Reaction score
@Manny Something I forgot until @doug rattled my neurons with his post. Many of these manufacturers have a suggested retail price. Ask them all if they have a set MSRP, or what they charge the doctor.

Some also will have pricing levels, that is if you buy more stuff, you go up a level from a 'bronze customer' to a 'silver customer' and their prices will change at the levels.
Usually only oral surgeons or implant focused labs will do enough business with them to 'level up'

Yes I just finished speaking with my rep, you are correct! There is a MSRP, I would not have known to ask if not advised here. Doctors would pay that price if they wanted to send directly to them. Thanks a lot!

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
I upcharge all implant components 20% plus shipping costs. If i have to design said component then there is an additional fee to cover my time....

Manny

Manny

Reaction score
Sounds
I upcharge all implant components 20% plus shipping costs. If i have to design said component then there is an additional fee to cover my time....

Sounds fair! Thank you!

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I do pretty much the same.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Manny, I have been using Atlantis for most of my custom abutments for years. Great product and the support I get here in central Indiana is awesome. Last year, they launched their Custom Base. It is basically a custom Ti base that you can fabricate a screw retained resoration on. They are cheaper than their normal custom abutments. They also come with a core file and that core file allows you to precisely place the screw access channel in the designed crown before milling. This is our most popular posterior implant restoration. We charge a flat fee for these types of restorations to simply the pricing for our doctors. Implant cases can have lots of charges the docs don't understand(soft tissue model, screw retained labor, abutment shipping, etc). I just rolled all these costs into one flat fee as long as they are doing a monolithic emax, zirconia, or translucent zirconia crown.

Manny

Manny

Reaction score
Manny, I have been using Atlantis for most of my custom abutments for years. Great product and the support I get here in central Indiana is awesome. Last year, they launched their Custom Base. It is basically a custom Ti base that you can fabricate a screw retained resoration on. They are cheaper than their normal custom abutments. They also come with a core file and that core file allows you to precisely place the screw access channel in the designed crown before milling. This is our most popular posterior implant restoration. We charge a flat fee for these types of restorations to simply the pricing for our doctors. Implant cases can have lots of charges the docs don't understand(soft tissue model, screw retained labor, abutment shipping, etc). I just rolled all these costs into one flat fee as long as they are doing a monolithic emax, zirconia, or translucent zirconia crown.
It makes sense I just modified the invoice putting together all the charges in one after I’ve read your reply. Doctors have no clue and they are intrigued by numerous charges you’re correct.
I have to look into the custom base. Thank you very much !

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Hi, I just started my own lab, am not sure how to charge these two types of implants:
-the ones that come made from Atlantis for example, do I only charge the doctor what Atlantis charge me? My time and knowledge needs to be reflected, if yes how much?
-the ones that I make customized for example UCLA castable abutments
I know some labs charge an implant processing fee equal with the cost of the parts
Please advise, thanks
1.5x markup. You're not an effing bank.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I am not.
I frequently go so far as to require them to provide their own parts, particularly for clones/weird platforms.

At heart my real feeling is " you surgically altered a person's body, show some active involvement".
Mind you I am in removable and AO4.
But different implant mnfr have varying levels of customer service, and some of these Dr act like they don't even know what platform went in. Chances of ordering the wrong part and getting stiffed for it go up appropriately. Homey don't play that.
Restoring Dr is responsible, they should act like it.

Manny

Manny

Reaction score
I frequently go so far as to require them to provide their own parts, particularly for clones/weird platforms.

At heart my real feeling is " you surgically altered a person's body, show some active involvement".
But different implant mnfr have varying levels of customer service, and some of these Dr act like they don't even know what platform went in. Chances of ordering the wrong part and getting stiffed for it go up appropriately. Homey don't play that.

I agree. Dentists like you mentioned have their staff to order parts just because they don’t have a clue, and you find yourself called after two months of a case put on hold by an assistant to figure out what is what... they are willing to make money getting into unknown areas... not possible.
At the end of the day we have to look at it as a business, try to make some money and stay mentally sane.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

If I'm ordering parts, send me the surgical letter or do it yourself. Cant get one from the surgeon? Neither can I!

Was asked once to obtain a o-ring for an unknown system from a photo with no measuing scale in it. When I quoted them for a kit that had all possible options since they didn't know more than it was wider than 1mm smalller than 3mm I was told
"No way, that's far more expensive than the one I ordered that didn't fit"