Impak Thermoflex Night guard precocity?

K

Kerwyn

Reaction score
could someone give me an idea whats going on? Ive never had this problem but for some reason I've been getting precocity in my thermoflex night guards. I pre-soak my models in water and i process it the normal way. is there something im missing here? How do you guys normally process these?

allengotora

allengotora

Reaction score
Hi Kerwyn,
Heat it under warm water and the guard will mold to the teeth. Impak Nightguards can be softened in warm water to conform more readily to tooth contours. Immediately prior to insertion, simply immerse the Impak Nightguard in warm tap water for one to two minutes. This simple step will allow final customization for your optimum comfort.

K

Kerwyn

Reaction score
Oh yes I am already aware of this. Im more looking to why the mouthguard itself has bubbles forming into it. I pack it like a regular denture style until its clear then when i process it there are bubbles

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
could be lots of things. your flasks might be losing seal, your temp might not be hot enough, your plastic might be contaminated, your separator might be borked...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Oh yes I am already aware of this. Im more looking to why the mouthguard itself has bubbles forming into it. I pack it like a regular denture style until its clear then when i process it there are bubbles
No direct experience, so this is more for what it's worth.
With most packable materials, if there is not overly sufficient material to pack the void it will bubble. It has to be compressed tightly, very tightly. The excess is not waste, it just has a purpose that is not part of being the final device.

ND2020

ND2020

Reaction score
No direct experience here either, but could also be too much separator.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
No direct experience here either, but could also be too much separator.
separator causing porosity?

Can you turn around give some more depth to that please, 'cause I missed the cluebus you're driving and and cannot understand how that would cause an issue.
Except in direct contact areas. Is that what you meant?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
could be lots of things. your flasks might be losing seal, your temp might not be hot enough, your plastic might be contaminated, your separator might be borked...
borked
is that a technical term? sounds like something Kavanaugh did in 1985

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
borked
is that a technical term? sounds like something Kavanaugh did in 1985
That would be the verb that came of Judge Bork's confirmation hearings.
It is the same time frame. Hmmm I bet Kavanaugh got drunk with Bork and it's all his fault that Bork was still so intoxicated he spoke his mind in the hearings.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
Curing in a turkey roaster or hot tap water?

ND2020

ND2020

Reaction score
separator causing porosity?

Can you turn around give some more depth to that please, 'cause I missed the cluebus you're driving and and cannot understand how that would cause an issue.
Except in direct contact areas. Is that what you meant?

Too much separator along with too high of temps can cause the separator to boil causing porosities. ‘Least that’s the way I understand it, but I have never had the issue myself.

I’m just another lonesome ortho dude tryin’ to run with the big boys...

Last edited:
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Too much separator along with too high of temps can cause the separator to boil causing porosities. ‘Least that’s the way I understand it, but I have never had the issue myself.

I’m just another lonesome ortho dude tryin’ to run with the big boys...
Ok. Interesting possibility if the sep is damp and not dry.

Oh, and we all are. Well, most of us. There's always a bigger fish.

K

Kerwyn

Reaction score
thanks for the input guys, I let the separator dry until its shiny and i pack it tight. I microwave the nightguard to cure and its been working super fine for a while but for some reason I'm starting to get porosity lately and i haven't changed any of my methods.

K

Kerwyn

Reaction score
ive just noticed the powder is expired from 2016 does that even play a roll in it? id assume the liquid part will have an effect but i doubt the powder will

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
oh it sure does. expired powder is toast.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
ive just noticed the powder is expired from 2016 does that even play a roll in it? id assume the liquid part will have an effect but i doubt the powder will
The tech wizard at Keystone put it this way.
"We know it might be okay after the expiration date, and in fact we expect it will be for a bit, but that date is the last day that we know it will be fine and that's the last day you should use it in a real prosthetic for a real patient according to the FDA"

Hary

Hary

Reaction score
I had some bubles but not in that stage, once I deflask and polish, I heat treated to Hi so the night guard becomes less cloudy whitish, but now I fixed that problem....

Chalky

Chalky

Reaction score
id be going with either insufficient material while packing causing contraction porosity.... are the 'bubbles' in small patches? or is it across the whole job...?
in which case I would more go with incorrect curing temperature.
but I also have no experience with this particular material... so hey, what would I know!

D

David Laville

Reaction score
I made a ton of Impak splints for a lab I use to work and never had a problem. What concerns me is you said you soak your models in water before processing. Water and acrylic do no mix and this may be part of your problem.

Top Bottom