Imes or Vhf?

L

le-ant

Reaction score
Hi all. Could someone who has experience with both these manufacturers give me an idea of which is better built? Thanks in advance!

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Depends what you are trying to mill. Select the tool for the specific job. I'm happy w/ my VHF as are many others. The touch plate bugs were worked out before I bought mine. There are many happy imes users on this forum as well. Maybe some have both?

L

le-ant

Reaction score
Mostly zirconia and wax, but I want the option to wet mill too. I'm not looking to swap between wet and dry milling on a daily basis, but it's nice to know it's there should I need it. I'm also considering the disc changer option. The imes looks much more solid than the vhf/wieland mills though.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I have no experience with VHF. We own a 250i, 450i and a 550i. We have a 140i on the way. Solid mills specifically designed for dental. What's nice about Imes is the selection of mills. You can select a mill based on the materials you want to mill, indications and level of production.
The new lineup will have some great features, like temperature calibration for self calibrating in an environmental that has temp fluctuations during the day. The new 140i specifically designed for milling ceramic blocks wet. Is fixtured to hold a mandrill not a disc, will have interchangeable holders for different mandrill configurations. Currently, it holds Cerec blocks. I expect it will hold d4d blocks and probably the new mandrill for e.max and the VHF.

L

le-ant

Reaction score
I have no experience with VHF. We own a 250i, 450i and a 550i. We have a 140i on the way. Solid mills specifically designed for dental. What's nice about Imes is the selection of mills. You can select a mill based on the materials you want to mill, indications and level of production.
The new lineup will have some great features, like temperature calibration for self calibrating in an environmental that has temp fluctuations during the day. The new 140i specifically designed for milling ceramic blocks wet. Is fixtured to hold a mandrill not a disc, will have interchangeable holders for different mandrill configurations. Currently, it holds Cerec blocks. I expect it will hold d4d blocks and probably the new mandrill for e.max and the VHF.
Hi Bob. Do you have the disc changer for the 450i? If so, have you encountered any problems with it? I like the idea of the disc changer but I've heard some can be problematic. How do you find after sales support with imes?
Regards
Anthony

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
We do not have the disc changer on the 450. We will be getting the 350i Plus, beta version in the fall. This will have a 12 disc changer. I'm expecting it to work well as Imes has done this before.
We distribute Imes. There have been Imes mills requiring additional service after training and installation. We have supported all of these mills as need, often sending a field tech out. In addition, when problems have come up we mill in our milling center at cost for customers with mills that need service.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Le-ant,
What are your plans for this mill? What materials and indications will you be milling?

L

le-ant

Reaction score
Le-ant,
What are your plans for this mill? What materials and indications will you be milling?
For our surgeons it'll be mostly zirconia,the odd custom abutment and wax for pressing emax. I was sold on the dwx 50, but the disc changer on the other milling machines interests me. The Roland is also limited on the amount of tools it holds. Would I be correct in saying the imes is better quality than the Roland? We'll also be milling for other local labs, as there's not really anyone offering that service at the moment. I'm in South Wales, UK.

Last edited:
BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Honestly, I really love the Roland for zirconia. We have worked out all the mill Stratergies for the most complex geometries needed for zirconia. Your right, no tool changer. For the money you can get two mills. Also, I'm thinking the .450 is overkill for zirconia. I think you should look at the 250i or Roland. Both 5axis well built mills.

L

le-ant

Reaction score
Honestly, I really love the Roland for zirconia. We have worked out all the mill Stratergies for the most complex geometries needed for zirconia. Your right, no tool changer. For the money you can get two mills. Also, I'm thinking the .450 is overkill for zirconia. I think you should look at the 250i or Roland. Both 5axis well built mills.
I'll look at the 250i then. I've seen the Roland in action but not managed to see the imes yet. Thanks for your input Bob, I really respect your opinion. If it wasn't for people like you I'd have nothing to go on except for sales rep talk. I wish there was someone with your experience near here :)

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
I'll look at the 250i then. I've seen the Roland in action but not managed to see the imes yet. Thanks for your input Bob, I really respect your opinion. If it wasn't for people like you I'd have nothing to go on except for sales rep talk. I wish there was someone with your experience near here :)
UH-HUMM,...Bob is a sales rep. For both machines as a matter of fact (and a damn good one to boot)

Me on the other hand,..just a Lab Guy like you. Involved with CAD/CAM in one way or another for about 10 years.

I think you should at least have a look at this before you "sign on the line" IMHO

You may be surprised (pleasantly I think) at the pricing,..We were

www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6yEcfWYg0E

Had it for about a year now and I still sh1t gumdrops everytime I use it ( that means I crazy love it,..!!!)

Disc changers are best handled by companies like Sauer and are way expensive if done correctly (sixth axis).

Ask yourself this ,..what engineer , given the freedom of designing the ideal dental milling machine,

would design the damn thing to cut Zirconia vertically?! H-mmmmm

Get all the facts , do your own research, and don't fall for the old banana in the tailpipe (ouch !)

Happy Hunting Pal!! ;)

L

le-ant

Reaction score
Oh yeah,.. check this out too, done on the same machine, no changes this stuff is the bomb!!! Fits are always crazy perfect,..just sayin...

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUVVozfCtc
I was told that I would need to purchase that complete system, and it was semi closed. Have I been mis informed? I'm looking for a fully open system, I've got my eye on the medit identica blue for scanning.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Look I am going to have to disagree with LA Ceramics. I am not a reseller and I am a daily user of the 450i and it kicks ass!

We have had our 450i for almost a year now and I wouldn't go any other way. We use it daily to mill emax cad and ti abutments. On occasion we still use it to mill zirconia if we have to.

I am a firm believer in having a robust mill. The 450i can do it all, and it can do things people said it would never be able to do ;)

We mill at least 4 Ti abutments a day in it and at least 6 emax cad a day and the the quality is top notch. It is a complete open system and will go a long way for you.

If I was to buy another dental mill it would be another Imes Icore we currently have 5 mills and and 4 of the are Origin mills and one Imes Icore and the Imes Icore blows the Origin mills out of the water.

Do yourself a favor and go with the Imes Icore you will not be disappointed.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Just make sure, whatever you buy is a completely open system...the way things change you don't want to get stuck with a certain manufacturer or reseller...

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
AG is closed. I really don't know much about the mill other than the fact that you will need to buy materials from AG. Why would anyone ever buy in, to close out potential new materials?
On another note, AG has a great name in Europe and produces some really good stuff. We use the Artex articulator (made bu AG) and love it.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Take a look at the shape of pucks that the Ceramill uses, not 98mm
Its open, but not to 98mm pucks.. ;) lol

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
If it not 98mm it is CLOSED.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Anyone make an adapter for AG material to be used in 98mm configuration. I want to try the sintron.

L

le-ant

Reaction score
Speaking of new materials, anyone distributing the graduated zirconia in the UK? Nobody I've asked can get it :-(

Top Bottom