Imes Icore 250i falling apart

R

Rockmuscle

Reaction score
you'd be surprised.

RCKSTR broke his 350, i broke my 650 and both of us within the first year of use.

i mean broke broke. i don't mean we called for someone to teamviewer and do a driver update, i mean busted broke. his was a "solid" steel shaft that snapped like a twig, mine was a magnetic rider that could not be moved, so the solid granite plate that locks the x y z axis into perfect alignment, had to be smashed to remove the rail and a new one installed.

i'm not going to say imes makes bad products, but drstranger's post is the 3rd imes that has fallen apart and seen on the internet here in the last 18months.
Mine is just a imes 140. which broke down after 6 months. their warranty doesn't mean anything. So many Imes mills breaking down means something.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
140, thats the little emax maker right? who did your CAM for that? can you share your milling parameters?

R

Rockmuscle

Reaction score
The CAM software came with the mill. I do not mess with the parameters

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
The CAM software came with the mill. I do not mess with the parameters
ok, i'm going to put this out there for everyone to see.

you HAVE TO mess with parameters.

YOU MUST.

I have an imes650, and imes 350. they both run on CAM from the same company. I have done some qualitative testing of identical parts on both machines; just for your information i used material that did not need scan spray, and was a "regular" geometric pattern.

on the 650 i saw a consistent 60um overbuild - as though the machine did not cut down to the right size, every time. like the milled piece was 60um bigger in all areas from the design file. this is metrology software you can get for free.

on the 350 i saw the same overbuild - but 120 to 200um. yes 200 microns material remaining. we ran the test again, calibrated, ran the test, calibrated, a process of 7 times. there was NO improvement.

NONE

the problem is the CAM. the CAM was ordering the machines to leave this much material behind. when i peeked behind the curtain i was able to ascertain why the machine left material behind - and by process of opening these menus was able to reduce my problem to one i know how to solve. my machines are now consistently outputting less than 40um in accuracy. i'll shore us up when we start doing implants but for now theres nothing wrong everything fits well.

so there is no question to me anymore; NEVER leave defaults as they are, they are wrong. they are bad for you, you must absolutely change them - in my case it was for accuracy sake. in your case i think a change in spindle speed would have been a propos. you broke two spindles. thats the sign they arent running right.

if you don't know how or arent sure what needs changing, do not be afraid to call your CAM provider for solutions. CAM drives your digital production so if they can't get it right call someone who can.

now, as i know you have an imes i can recommend you to call Articon in California and have them take you on as a customer - they will want you to purchase their CAM software, and I can vouch that they know what they are doing and are more than capable of keeping an imes machine running like a clock. if you are interested in having your imes work right its probably one of the two places in the usa that can help you out.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
MY Imes 140i broke down. Bought it in 2014. I mill 3 -4 only emax crowns a week. Changed spindle the 1st time after 70 hrs of use and now the spindle is bust again. Lousy service. I want to mill only emax . Any suggestions. I am looking at the Roland DWX 4W or the AG Mikro Ic
I stopped milling E max a long time ago, I press them now. More precise.

R

Rockmuscle

Reaction score
Already placed an order for the Rolland DWX 4W. Thanks.

G

Graf.Zahn

Reaction score
I have similar problems with the machine from 2015. the plastic can not tolerate the original liquid. I have solved parts that have been replaced by Stainless Steel

D

drstranger

Reaction score
I have similar problems with the machine from 2015. the plastic can not tolerate the original liquid. I have solved parts that have been replaced by Stainless Steel
Can you elaborate the parts you replaced and how?
Meanwhile this big aluminium shield on the right side inside the door just fell off while milling :/

Sydceramist

Sydceramist

Reaction score
eurotrash equipment whats new

E

Edoman

Reaction score
if you are NOT milling metals, maybe you can switch from the imes milling/grinding liquid to Micrylium's Lines fluid, it is an alcohol based multipurpose machine liquid to serve several purposes: keep lines clean, keep parts sterile, and cool tools. and it works pretty ok for me. i use it on my 350 and the only hangup i have with it is the fact it is not suitable for metal milling. otherwise i would use it on my 650 too.
And how do you like your 350 and 650?

Top Bottom