Datguypeter

Datguypeter

Reaction score
I also bought a Trios and you still suck at what you do.
Talking out your ass just makes your breath stink
I dont know why youre so mad. Trios is a great scanner except you still have to take a final impression when making a denture. Saying otherwise is spreading misinformation

"Due to the image-based nature, taking a functional impression with an IOS device is practically impossible, and the digital scans are taken under passive muco-static conditions [21]. However, clinical reports on IOS for the fabrication of RCDs and RPDs have reported clinically acceptable outcomes [17–19]."

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I dont know why youre so mad. Trios is a great scanner except you still have to take a final impression when making a denture. Saying otherwise is spreading misinformation

"Due to the image-based nature, taking a functional impression with an IOS device is practically impossible, and the digital scans are taken under passive muco-static conditions [21]. However, clinical reports on IOS for the fabrication of RCDs and RPDs have reported clinically acceptable outcomes [17–19]."
You said an IOS can’t accurately scan soft tissue. That is false information. It can.
Compression of tissue is completely different. From what The Lab Guy has explained it may not be necessary to do so.
Feel free to call out my Magma Republican friend at your own peril.

Datguypeter

Datguypeter

Reaction score
You said an IOS can’t accurately scan soft tissue. That is false information. It can.
Compression of tissue is completely different. From what The Lab Guy has explained it may not be necessary to do so.
Feel free to call out my Magma Republican friend at your own peril.
You missunderstood of course it can but you still need to capture compression to make a good denture.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I’ll let you debate that with those who are milling and printing them on a regular basis. However Trios can accurately scan soft tissue contrary to what you previously posted.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I wasnt trying to create a stink, of course a IOS can scan tissue, but is it in the right position when it is scanned? primarily the vestibule, not ridges. How do you retract without moving the tissue? If you have to reline your printed denture on a stone model, is it really a digital denture? Im just a guy asking questions.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I wasnt trying to create a stink, of course a IOS can scan tissue, but is it in the right position when it is scanned? primarily the vestibule, not ridges. How do you retract without moving the tissue? If you have to reline your printed denture on a stone model, is it really a digital denture? Im just a guy asking questions.
My Dentures aren't printed, they are milled...off a scan or a model, doesn't matter to me. As for retracting, i leave that up to the Dentists, but most use the color filtering devices (auto deletes color of their gloves) so they can can capture the vestibule areas just fine without any distortion. Then again, i have some Docs that can't scan a tooth without distortion some times. It's not the scanner, its the ability of the person holding the scanner.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I like the workflow, I like the idea of milling dentures, Ive been trying to process a case on the mill for awhile, but I just dont do many and dont have the time, but still have the ivoclar puck.. I think you could do a nice high-end denture using traditional techniques very easily using Cad/cam. I like the idea of printing a simple try in to evaluate everything quickly. Only difference is I would scan a model from a nice custom tray, I would be reluctant to make dentures from a scan unless I am absolved from all wrongdoing, which is never the case.

Hitdabox

Hitdabox

Reaction score
Yep, once you cut the sprue leads it is ready polish...literally. I might take 30 secs after polishing them to jazz up the teeth/pink with some optiglaze but that's it. Also, the biggest comment I get across the board and something I would of never even thought of was...the patients say, "no sore spots and great retention". Literally I've done about fifty of them and that is the number one comment by far...crazy. The software is pretty neat in that it does equilibrate on working/balancing movements and removes the interferences digitally via a virtual articulator. I'm pretty particular when it comes to dentures and the quality...this ivotion system is by far the best i've seen/used out there. The only issue, is you have to be case specific, it doesn't work good for collapsed arches with very little vdo (because i'm using monolithic pucks) and the tooth color will be where the pink should be. When we see that, we kick them to traditional or design a two-piece (teeth separate than pink). Hope this helps.
Glad to have found and read this thread. Good stuff and insight into the process. Thanks! Also, would you ever use a Roland DWX-52d to mill the ivotion discs? I know they are supposed to mill PMMA ok. They also have that new dwx-53dc that has an upgraded spindle torque that is supposedly more specific to milled dentures.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Glad to have found and read this thread. Good stuff and insight into the process. Thanks! Also, would you ever use a Roland DWX-52d to mill the ivotion discs? I know they are supposed to mill PMMA ok. They also have that new dwx-53dc that has an upgraded spindle torque that is supposedly more specific to milled dentures.
Ivotion can only be milled in ivoclar mills...PMDry, PM7. I think some folks may have found work arounds but I haven't played with any of that.

Hitdabox

Hitdabox

Reaction score
Dang, once again Ivoclar finds a death grip on a cool product. haha. I love my ivobase but Im so slow man. Been a fixed guy in a boutique lab for a long time. I pretty much taught myself how to dentures with the ivobase under clinical instruction of a prosthodontist. But it really does take so long. I either need to switch to digital, upgrade my workflow, or not do removable. just my thoughts..

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Dang, once again Ivoclar finds a death grip on a cool product. haha. I love my ivobase but Im so slow man. Been a fixed guy in a boutique lab for a long time. I pretty much taught myself how to dentures with the ivobase under clinical instruction of a prosthodontist. But it really does take so long. I either need to switch to digital, upgrade my workflow, or not do removable. just my thoughts..
Exactly why we went with ivotion.

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
BTW, ivotion is available for exocad now