I want a 3D printer mainly for surgical guides, please suggest one

MrJericho

MrJericho

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the implant world, but ready to drop some $$$ to make my implant life easier and cheaper, what 3D printer that is sub 1000usd can print accurate and reliable surgical guides? I mainly use Blueskybio... I keep noticing a lot of you guys mention Phrozen sonic 4k a lot, is it good enough for my needs? thank you.

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
Big fan of Phrozen as my post show. If all you need is guides you can’t get better than Sonic Mini 4k. As stated before (sorry for the broken record) Keystone has their guide resin validated for it. Your ROI (printer and 1 bottle of resin) can be achieved in as few as 7 surgical guides if priced at $100.

MrJericho

MrJericho

Reaction score
Big fan of Phrozen as my post show. If all you need is guides you can’t get better than Sonic Mini 4k. As stated before (sorry for the broken record) Keystone has their guide resin validated for it. Your ROI (printer and 1 bottle of resin) can be achieved in as few as 7 surgical guides if priced at $100.
just to be sure, is this the one?:

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
just to be sure, is this the one?:

Yes and no. The most recent manufactured one’s are on Phrozens website. Nothing wrong with that one other than it may be an older version of the 4K. Kind of like getting a new car. You can get it when they first arrive on the lot. Or wait just before the year ends. With the later being beneficial because of small tweaks they fix during the year. I will add that particular one is $100 less, not sure why. Just make sure it comes with the manufactured warranty. Good luck.

DentalLaboratory7

DentalLaboratory7

Reaction score
Definitely recommend Phrozen 3D Sonic Mini 4K. Works like a charm.

MrJericho

MrJericho

Reaction score
So, Phrozen Sonic Mini 4k + Phrozen 4k resin + curing light? = perfect surgical guide?... what kind of curing light machine do you guys recommend? can I use this?

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
I’m using Sprintrays Procure 1. It was about $1,200 at the time. They have since come out with the Procure 2 which is better in every way. Talking 10 min cures or less for dentures models maybe 2 minutes. But it’s more expensive. It all revolves around what your going to use it for (and possible future applications),how much time your willing to wait for the cure and finally your budget.
If you plan on using Keystones Guide resin then they do a fantastic job with listing every printer and curebox that are validated for their resins.

MrJericho

MrJericho

Reaction score
I’m using Sprintrays Procure 1. It was about $1,200 at the time. They have since come out with the Procure 2 which is better in every way. Talking 10 min cures or less for dentures models maybe 2 minutes. But it’s more expensive. It all revolves around what your going to use it for (and possible future applications),how much time your willing to wait for the cure and finally your budget.
If you plan on using Keystones Guide resin then they do a fantastic job with listing every printer and curebox that are validated for their resins.
My budget is less than 1000 usd, my only use is for surgical guides, and curing time is not an issue at all

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
So, Phrozen Sonic Mini 4k + Phrozen 4k resin + curing light? = perfect surgical guide?... what kind of curing light machine do you guys recommend? can I use this?
As perfect as any other.

DentalLaboratory7

DentalLaboratory7

Reaction score
We use the AnyCubic curing light, but really any curing light works!

MrJericho

MrJericho

Reaction score
Whats the difference between Keystone guide resin (250usd) and Phrozen 4k resin (40usd)? and is it worth the price differece?

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Well one is for surgical guides the other is not.

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
Whats the difference between Keystone guide resin (250usd) and Phrozen 4k resin (40usd)? and is it worth the price differece?
Any resin that goes into the mouth has to be cleared by the FDA for use. Some classifications are for less than 10 minutes in the mouth (custom trays, guides). The other classification is for anything over that time (dentures, temps, crowns, nightguards, etc).

You can’t just print any resin for use in the mouth or you will be sued for every penny if either a patient, doctor or regulatory body finds out. For printing modes use whatever works but for use in the mouth it has to be a Class lla medical device and your printer and curebox have to be validated for use with that resin. That’s why I stated earlier Keystone does a fantastic job of listing every printer and curebox that works (validated) with their resin.

MrJericho

MrJericho

Reaction score
Any resin that goes into the mouth has to be cleared by the FDA for use. Some classifications are for less than 10 minutes in the mouth (custom trays, guides). The other classification is for anything over that time (dentures, temps, crowns, nightguards, etc).

You can’t just print any resin for use in the mouth or you will be sued for every penny if either a patient, doctor or regulatory body finds out. For printing modes use whatever works but for use in the mouth it has to be a Class lla medical device and your printer and curebox have to be validated for use with that resin. That’s why I stated earlier Keystone does a fantastic job of listing every printer and curebox that works (validated) with their resin.
Thank you for the valuable details, other than this, is there a difference?

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
Color, guides are preferred clear. Maybe others can speak on other aspects that make a good guide resin.

G

GH23

Reaction score
Also the Phrozen printers have NextDent resins in their profile-- so I use the NextDent surgical guide material, it's translucent yellow-ish and can be autoclaved. I've got the older sonic 4k and it's been excellent-- the newer ones are about triple the price of what I paid, and I'm trying to workout if they are almost the same or very upgraded... the descriptions make them sound much faster but I'm not sure as the settings look the same (?)

K

Krycek

Reaction score
Hi, Can
you please give the parameters to make surgical guides with Phrozen mini 4K printer.
Thank you.