hydrocolloid hacks

S

Stella02

Reaction score
hey everybody, if I wanted to save money on a hydrocolloid machine what are some tips, hacks or suggestions on making duplicate models without that machine?

Heard some people boil the hydro down in the microwave or on the stove, anybody have success?

Cory

Cory

Reaction score
We have used the microwave, you just gotta play with the power levels and time. I'd do 30-second increments. After I'm done with i chop it up in cubes and save it in a Tupperware bin

O

Old School Dentures

Reaction score
hey everybody, if I wanted to save money on a hydrocolloid machine what are some tips, hacks or suggestions on making duplicate models without that machine?

Heard some people boil the hydro down in the microwave or on the stove, anybody have success?

Microwaved for years. Primarily because lab owner was cheap. When I opened my lab I bought the tcs duplicating machine, the best designed duplicator in my opinion. I would seriously consider buying a duplicator in the future, you can start with a microwave but when you start getting very busy and are duplicating multiple models daily the dup machine saves so much time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

David Laville

Reaction score
I used the microwave work around and the hydro didn't have much longevity. I bought an electrical pot at Walmart someone in this forum recommended and it's been doing the job (I'm sure if you did a search you could find the post). I agree 100% with the post above, a duplicator is the way to go and will probably be my next major purchase.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I've been doing microwave for the entire time I've ever used hydrocolloid. It works fine and will last a very long time if you add a few ml of distilled water every time you cook it. It steams off when heating.

Chalky

Chalky

Reaction score
i have a small portable electric hotplate and a saucepan... hydrocolloid machine sits in the cupboard! I don't duplicate enough to justify having it on all the time

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I use microwave for 11 minutes. works ok for me...only doing model reproduction

S

Stella02

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try the microwave technique and look into that pot from Walmart. I'd only be using the hydro to duplicate stone models.

Top Bottom