Hydrocolloid cooling techniques- pour dentures

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
Im weeks away from opening a small denture lab and wondering if theres any reason I shouldnt plan on cooling my colloid in the fridge? Ive only got one sink at the moment, and the water baths I see look overpriced. Im also wondering if polyflex is a suitable colloid for the pour process technique as well as duplicating models?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
wondering if theres any reason I shouldnt plan on cooling my colloid in the fridge?
I don't see a reason why not cooling the colloid in the fridge...as long it leaves enough room for the beer ;)...

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
I don't see a reason why not cooling the colloid in the fridge...as long it leaves enough room for the beer ;)...
HAHA, mmmm, beer. Thanks for the input.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
In 1982 the first lab I worked in had a Austenal/Howmedica refrigerated recirculating water bath for colloid dentures. It would set the colloid in 15 minutes. Essentially it was just a refrigerated coil and a water pump and a stainless steel 4 inch deep tank. I would bet if your really wanted to make something like this you could do it rather inexpensively. The truth is today in my lab I have a fridge and we put it in the freezer and in 30 mins its ready to go. The recirculating water sucks the heat out of the flask faster than the constant cold in the fridge.

Wade Bognuda

Wade Bognuda

Reaction score
Also the water bath is causing the colloid to draw towards the model, giving it a little better fit.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
You can make a water bath out of a plastic tub with an outflow pipe into the sink and some copper feed lines.
Works like a charm.

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks all for the input. Much appreciated.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
You can make a water bath out of a plastic tub with an outflow pipe into the sink and some copper feed lines.
Works like a charm.
Huh! hadn't thought of that part, I'e just been submersing them in a dollar store 'foot tub' of cool water. Windshiled washer pump here I come!

budgenator

budgenator

Reaction score
I just put the flask in a 12x12 lab pan, add in a cm of water and drop in some ice cubes; but I'm just duping models for Immediate dentures and flippers. On immediates I like being able to cross-mount and switch between the working models and the existing models as I'm setting teeth and for flippers it to adjust for path of insertion before delivery; in both cases precision isn't a great concern. With flippers a tech taught me there are two kinds of flippers, cold-cured ones and ones that fit, so the vast majority of my flippers are press-packed heat cure acrylic; the only thing I hate more than making flippers is remaking flippers.