how to open a dental lab in California?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ros Russle

Ros Russle

Reaction score
One of my friends wants to open a dental lab in CA.
Is it ok to rent a private house as an office? Is there any regulation for the lab's location?
Is there any requirement for the lab owner?
Does he need to register his lab to any organization? I mean what files does he needs to register?
Is there anyone who can share his/ her experience?

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
California is a big state. The first thing to do is contact your local better business bureau. They will have a list of requirements that are current. CA is in flux constantly. There is a demand for cheap, crappy is not an issue. It is always better to have a CDT to flaunt, but seasoned dental personnel know better. Know your market. Keep in mind that race preference is alive, well and under new ownership. Better have a lot of cash to back yourself up.

As stated above, the last thing this industry needs is another hobbyist pretending to be a lab. I would never tell a dental tech to introduce others to the industry. Better to be certified as and industrial electrician. THAT, is the need at this point in history.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
step 1.....move out of california
step 2.....WRITE A BUSINESS PLAN!!! any proper business plan answers ALL of these types of questions. sheesh.

Reactions: JMN
Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
step 1.....move out of california
step 2.....WRITE A BUSINESS PLAN!!! any proper business plan answers ALL of these types of questions. sheesh.
I tried not to sound negative but, sheesh! Indeed. CA is going down in flames.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Actually the last thing the industry needs is more narcissists self-promoting in every LMT. Its funny how the people with the most are the first to discourage others from competing with them, I think they would prefer you to be an indentured servant, not much different than a plantation owner. You just go ahead and keep the money coming in for master because you are too stupid or unskilled to even try doing something for yourself. I mean how dry must your soul be to try and deny someone the American Dream and for what? Let them fall on their face, whats it to you?

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
Actually the last thing the industry needs is more narcissists self-promoting in every LMT. Its funny how the people with the most are the first to discourage others from competing with them, I think they would prefer you to be an indentured servant, not much different than a plantation owner. You just go ahead and keep the money coming in for master because you are too stupid or unskilled to even try doing something for yourself. I mean how dry must your soul be to try and deny someone the American Dream and for what? Let them fall on their face, whats it to you?
Have you always been so jealous and petty?

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
to answer your question:
Poorly planned and executed unprofessional “fake” labs degrade the esteem of the industry.
Those half ass non labs are the reason global competition and Cerec have become legitimized.
if real labs had been building quality systems and ensuring good products and service, the entire industry would be better for it.
I’m tired of these “fake” labs selling substandard products at arbitrary prices and giving the dentists, industry vendors and associations, the impression that labs are all made up of morons and mad scientists who cannot produce a quality product and deliver it on time.

Taking my industry seriously is one of our key values.

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
What about that post makes you think Im jealous of your plantation? Go drink a mountain dew.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
What about that post makes you think Im jealous of your plantation? Go drink a mountain dew.
It’s not a plantation, more like an enlightened society, with lots of people contributing to, participating in, and benefitting from the success of a great team doing it right.
👍🏻
But haters gotta hate, and in my experience haters are generally just frustrated by their own inability to succeed, so they throw rocks at the people who do what it takes to get it right.
;)

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Sorry but I just cant let this go as much as I want to.. Since the OP hasnt responded, I wonder why?, maybe they can tell us how much of an incompetent 'moron' this friend is.. Its incredibly assuming to say that someone wanting to start a business is so stupid and unqualified when theyre asking how to do it the right way..

The fact is, people that start a small business are far more competent than the people employed by a lab, and at the very least they have guts. People who are content to do repetitive mindless tasks for the benefits of a 'pizza party' or a pat on the head and $5 subway gift card for their 'production'..

"taking my industry seriously is one of our key values" Seriously, gag me with a stick.. Every industry has winners and losers, thats what capitalism is... but only a dictator would deny someone from even being one of the losers.. Your short, dim-witted response to the OP shows what type of person you are.. and again for the 4th time, its not something Im jealous of. Making money does not equate to getting it right, only in your kingdom.

haters gotta hate? really, go back and read your first post.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
Incompetent
Moron
Stupid
Unqualified
These are your words...
I said we do not need a “hobbyist” “pretending”

Now, your incredibly STUPID (there I did use that word there) comment about
“people that start a small business are far more competent than the people employed by a lab,”
Is utter nonsense, since ANYONE can start a lab (but not be successful) most small businesses fail because it is a different skill set to do a job then to run a successful company.
Further, opening a business you are not prepared to lead is vanity and bad sense, and can hurt other people who might depend upon the success of the business....
(Notice I called the COMMENT stupid, not the person)

On the other hand thanks for recognizing my “competence” and “guts” for starting a lab 😎

Sorry not going to “gag you with a stick” you are ignorant of my organization, and foolish for attacking what you do not understand, but no stick gagging needed lol

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
So how does someone else starting an unsuccessful lab in CA affect you negatively if you are the savior of our industry? You made the stupid first comment, I only pointed out how stupid it was.
How can I be ignorant of your organization? I read about it every month! Youre really a man of the people with your 'managing by walking around', freaking mind-blowing stuff there. Any other nuggets for us peons that have no business owning a lab? You clearly are competent to run a lab, and you must have a lot of friend too.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
What on earth are you talking about?

when an industry has a large number of people acting unprofessionally, it damages the credibility of the industry as a whole, since it makes it harder for the people who take it seriously and want to do it well to be taken seriously.

I have no idea how we go from - you read an article,
to - you proclaim me the savior of the industry.…
This is why I say you are petty and jealous and angry at other people successes.

As for your silly criticisms of an article… Well that’s what makes you a hater…

I don’t call people and ask them to write articles about me, if something we say or do can help someone else succeed I’m all for it.

The article was meant to be a fun “peek behind the scenes” not a thesis on business techniques and methods… But if you would like to learn some of those you’re welcome to come to the lab - I always make time to share ideas and teach and learn from others in the industry.

The article is also supposed to be one of several on the subject of “a day in the life” why don’t you see if they’ll write the next one about you if you’re that upset about it.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
So who made you the one that should determine if a human being qualifies to own a laboratory? You certainly seem to know, from one post, what makes someone competent to run a real lab (like yours of course) and all the other neanderthals who run 'fake' labs. So what is the criteria that you determined from that one post, that makes that person a hobbyist? You dont get it.. and its hilarious. You dont have to SAY youre the savior of the industry, you just act like it. 'You criticize me, therefore you must be jealous of me' Get a life, you think too highly of yourself and your lab.
I totally get what youre saying, Michael Gerber wrote about it decades ago, systems run the business, its nothing new. The fact that you say you make time to share ideas and teach and learn from others is summed up in your post:
"Tell them not to bother . Last thing the industry needs is one more hobbyist pretending to be a lab." Truly helpful, great insight, thanks.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
Ok
You are clearly not interested In real discourse, just want to attack the people ahead of you in line.

I get it. I have a great company, a great team, great clients, great friends, great family, a great life. I can understand why you are jealous, but you don’t need to be, pull your head out and you too can follow what inspires you and accomplish the things that will make you proud and not feel that you need to follow people around the Internet throwing rotten fruit at them 😜

Its sad to attack what you don’t understand, instead of learning and growing. I have wasted enough time with you, because you are at a dead end.

This is my parting advice to you: Life is not about attacking people who succeed.

Small, jealous people always assume that those who win have an unfair advantage and therefore try to tear them down. The elevated mindset knows that there are lessons to learn from others successes (and failures) and appreciate that someone will share them.

frequently when I open the lab up and let others from the industry come in people question me “why would you let them see stuff - aren’t you afraid they’re going to take away your ideas or get an advantage or…“ But I don’t see it that way, to me it’s important to have an abundance mindset… That there’s enough to go around for everybody who wants to play the game and play it well.

But spending time on Internet forums attacking the people who succeed just demonstrate selfishness pettiness and jealousy.

I think you can do better. But that’s just me.
If you want to say something positive or collaborative I’ll be happy to share, but I will not respond any more to your insolence, your juvenile attacks on myself, my people, my business, or god forbid, articles someone wrote about us lol.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Wow youre a real piece of work, its almost comical. Life is about not attacking people who are trying to succeed, how about that. Again, making money is not my definition of success.

Since you seem to be so professional, Im sure you wouldnt mind some reviews of your business from people that know it better than me. Again, I cant speak for your lab, only your presence here. What I found, was right in line with what I thought, so lets just bask in the glory of you and your professionalism for a minute.. and let everyone decide for themselves.

Google review: "I'd never bring any work here. The owner Jason is very unprofessional and he drinks alcohol on the premises while employees are there working. He also sent some very rude text messages to someone because they changed their mind about working there. I wouldn't give this place my buisness they need to learn how to treat people they run their buisness like a sweat shop."

Glassdoor review: "Horrible Owners"

They hire you for a 40 hour work week and make you work 60 hours a week. You can't go home every day until all the work is done. They don't let you take breaks, belittle you if you don't run when on your way to the restroom. The one owner Jason walks around drinking alcohol and berating people while talking about his sexual prowess. The other owner Chad talks down to all the employees and talks about his personal life like he thinks everyone is interested. It is a horrible environment."

God forbid someone would read that, youre right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom