how to make your own scanbody?

• Thread starter Jack_the_dentureman
  • Start date
Jack_the_dentureman

Jack_the_dentureman

Reaction score
how to make a custom scanbody for an existing library?
version
a) where we make an entirely custom element, and bring it into the library.
b) we have scanbodyv from a compatible system and we want to duplicate the library with the replaced scanbody.

I know it's a lot, but we are in the forum for experts.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
first you must establish the relationship between the scan body and the tibase or analog

then, you must create your element and be able to verify that the object sits relative to the implant correctly (take a scan with the sb on the implant, and view all parts on screen together)

last, as long as one of those other elements' natural co-ordinates is unchanged from the existing library, the new sb can be imported to an old library, or can reuse parts in its own new library.

if any of those parts are file format locked, you will have no way to create this library until you do some illegal decryption.

ToofMaker

ToofMaker

Reaction score
I did it so I could design temp cases directly on temp cylinders from IO scans without needing a model

T

tuyere

Solutions
Reaction score
If I understand your question correctly: This is a mechanical CAD task- a combination of reverse-engineering the parts of scan bodies you like from careful measurements, augmented with your own original work with a CAD suite (Solidworks, Fusion 360, Alibre, etc) to build a design that improves on or modifies the original. CAD design is its own skillset you have to learn, but it's a very useful one, especially if you have 3D printers you can use to instantly produce your design into a functional part.
Once you have your design, you just have to insert it into the library you're working with, which can be tricky; 3Shape's library builds assemblies out of modular parts, so even if you have a single design you like, you need to break it down to its constituent components to be able to work with it like any other component. In addition, it handles subtleties like fit-up for mating parts in its own way, so you have to design parts as per the system they use, and not what you'd normally use for part design; normally I'd design parts to have the clearances and final dimensions I'd, you know, want to end up with, but 3Shape handles that itself, so you give it a nominally-sized part with no clearance, and it adds the clearance itself by scaling the male mating parts (pins, mostly) down in X/Y.

Not a scan body, but close enough; I designed a custom articulator for our in-house use, because we liked some aspects of a SnowRock design, and other aspects of a Baumann, but didn't like their individual shortcomings. So I pulled all the dimensions off of both articulators and remodelled it from scratch. Best of both worlds. Even better than that, because once you have a CAD working file, you can modify or iterate effortlessly, much more easily than trying to modify an STL or other mesh file.

Last edited:
Jack_the_dentureman

Jack_the_dentureman

Reaction score
Tanks for replay
Now I need to find some time to study it.

the thing now is that the doctor is using a system that has a bad lousy scanbody, and someone recommended that he use a compatible system that has a super scanbody.
the doctor wants to use the original parts, but a different scanbody.

I would like to be able to replace scanbodies in libraries with my own because of the quality and durability, as well as the quantity and costs with many systems

R

rookiee

Reaction score
You just need someone with a real CAD knowledge and he can fix libraries for you....

Top Bottom