How to get better with carving Tooth anatomy

user name

user name

Reaction score
I remember learning to wax with some book. Had colored dots where the contacts were supposed to be, not just one but 3. There were green contacts and red and I used wax powder to get everything just right.
Then later I learned that you can just throw that $hit out the window and make them way out of occlusion because that’s what most of them want.
Collapsing occlusion one crown at a time.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
“I think too much is made of contacts, I want to be able to drive a truck through there”
He’s since retired.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
" i want your crowns to fit my preps like a sock"

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Like socks on a Rooster.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
or 'I switched to a kavo electric handpiece to prep because the bur marks were too wavy' Hmmmm2

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
look into drop waxing or layering in your anatomy. not carving it in. way easier and looks far far better
PTC, or if you can find the old Ney green cover or gold brown covered anatomy paperback manual.

I just about got tossed out of the PTC course I was sent to thirty some years ago. Didn’t care for the blob and mush technique
that was being pushed. Argued with the instructor about it. I was there to “learn” this way so as to teach others at the lab .
Didn’t buy into it as I knew how to wax a Better way 😉.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I think in answering the OPs question, I shouldve also mentioned that, learning to wax molars.. is like teaching a farmer to saddle implements to a mule team. Dare I say its an irrelevant task in a dental lab? I think a tech should understand morphology, but waxing is probably about the least valuable skill a technician can have today.. Theres no money to be made in waxing or posteriors for that matter, 20 years ago, maybe.. but your time is better spent learning and mastering smile design, CAD, or implants.. The software carves the anatomy, plain and simple.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I just about got tossed out of the PTC course I was sent to thirty some years ago. Didn’t care for the blob and mush technique
that was being pushed. Argued with the instructor about it. I was there to “learn” this way so as to teach others at the lab .
Didn’t buy into it as I knew how to wax a Better way 😉.

I had forgotten about their technique, and was thinking more in terms of the manuals. Didn’t those have good information as far as morphology and contour?

Last edited:
sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I had a waxing buddy who was a waxer for 15 years. He decided to go to dental school. He got marked down on the waxing portion because his waxing was not anatomically correct to U.M. standards ..Too funny. Anyways , wax your crown, take an impression with it on the model, pour it up, does your crown look out of place with the rest of the model ? I dont really like any off the libraries. I use Culp the most . Most just seem to have to tall and pointy cusps that I spend to much time reshaping.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
This topic had me thinking back to a time of posts from eight years ago. Some of the DLN nation may remember this.

Top Bottom