How to do refractory models?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
This brings back another memory. The last refractory case I did, were 2 laterals out of Shofu Halo...beautiful for refractory, but they both cracked after seating. One at chair side, and the other a couple of days later. I think your post reminded me of that, or I had forgotten about the wrong cement the Dr had used.

Also, refractory should only be bonded to enamel, and not on any composite build ups, i.e it needs to be a pretty clean and specific type of prep for a refractory veneer to be used. Some dentist don't get that, and would want to use those on improper tooth structure and have failures.

So the things you're reminding me of, are kind of the things that drove me away from refractory, as emax for the general dentist, is more forgiving.
Intimate contact with tooth is a must, and that's why not as many docs can use them. The prep has to take undercuts into consideration from a different insertion angle than they are accustomed to thinking.

Last edited:
larsondental

larsondental

Reaction score
I left that technique behind with the ops Optec. Wasted days and nights!!!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I left that technique behind with the ops Optec. Wasted days and nights!!!
Unfamiliar with that, could you please expand and explain what the differences are when you get a minute?

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
Optec was basically hand layered empress on a refractory die instead of pressing it. It was created by jeneric pentron

legend has it: ivoclar stole the secret sauce and made empress. Jeneric sued ivoclar and was going to win, so ivoclar bought jeneric pentron instead...cheaper to buy the whole company than settle a suit where empress was concerned.

opc was second generation optec

all of this is rumor and speculation so take it with a grain of salt, but it makes sense :)

larsondental

larsondental

Reaction score
The biggest problem with the technique was you didn't know what your result was until you divested the crown from the die.

larsondental

larsondental

Reaction score
The Optec porcelain was a lucite reinforced feldspathic porcelain.

Top Bottom