"How much quicker with two Scanners ?" (I did a test)

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
So iv'e been running a second scanner now for about a year. I'm a single man lab doing about Six pans of work a day (some days ten, some four) Yesterday I wondered how much faster I was scanning with both simultaneously ?. Four boxes of single units, including entering all the info and sticky waxing the models together for the articulation scan . The result really surprised me ! ,,,,,,,,,,, x4 Boxes through two scanners - 17mins 58sec
x4 Boxes through one scanner - 29mins 54sec.
Anyway, something to think about if you're on the fence about getting a second Scanner. Scanners photo.jpg

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
12min time savings.
how much was the scanner? (approx)

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
Seems a bit silly to me, but hey, whatever floats your goat man!!
263enxT.jpg

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
12min time savings.
how much was the scanner? (approx)
One word, Redundancy :) ,,,,,I got the second one when my first scanner was down and I was F*cked with no working scanner in the lab . I usually scan a lot more than four boxes at a time so more time saving . Oh , it was $7000 brand new , got a great deal :)

Last edited:
rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
Running 2 scanners efficiently really takes an organized person to operate for sure. We have toyed with the idea but my scan techs can scan well over 100 cases each on a good day. A scanner going is is a constant worry, in the 10-12 years we have been scanning we have never had one go down. Now that I jinxed my self on Monday I will have a scanner go down.:eek:

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Running 2 scanners efficiently really takes an organized person to operate for sure. We have toyed with the idea but my scan techs can scan well over 100 cases each on a good day. A scanner going is is a constant worry, in the 10-12 years we have been scanning we have never had one go down. Now that I jinxed my self on Monday I will have a scanner go down.:eek:
Fingers crossed for you . When mine went down under warranty , it ended up being over four months until I got it back from Medit . Even the loaner they sent out to me ,they never were able to get that working . Mine had to be shipped back to Korea .
Obviously in my situation where I scan batches of ten boxes at a time . Two scanners is overkill , but if they are both sitting there I might as well use them both . I honestly find it no more difficult . Bigger labs like you would save so much time . It always frustrated me waiting for the scan to complete , now I just turn to the other machine . I was just trying to be helpful and share what iv'e found with some other labs .People just don't like this idea , lol, i've learned my lesson .

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Fingers crossed for you . When mine went down under warranty , it ended up being over four months until I got it back from Medit . Even the loaner they sent out to me ,they never were able to get that working . Mine had to be shipped back to Korea .
Obviously in my situation where I scan batches of ten boxes at a time . Two scanners is overkill , but if they are both sitting there I might as well use them both . I honestly find it no more difficult . Bigger labs like you would save so much time . It always frustrated me waiting for the scan to complete , now I just turn to the other machine . I was just trying to be helpful and share what iv'e found with some other labs .People just don't like this idea , lol, i've learned my lesson .
Don't appologize for pushing yourself. If you only practice for a 6 minute mile, you'll never run one in 5.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
4 months is BS.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
4 months is BS.
Oh it was so frustrating , first continually being stalled whilst waiting for the US repair facility to open and when they finally did it came back from them still broken . Then it went off to Korea for a vacation . Lol , so I asked if they could give me a reduced cost (NOT FREE) on the upgrade colour option on my new 300 I had to buy because my other was broken. They were just not interested in that :) ,,,,,,But they did send me a loaner after three months which they could never get working because the dongle they sent had the wrong serial # , so they sent another dongle which of course still didn't work . It actually got to be quite funny after a while .

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Oh it was so frustrating , first continually being stalled whilst waiting for the US repair facility to open and when they finally did it came back from them still broken . Then it went off to Korea for a vacation . Lol , so I asked if they could give me a reduced cost (NOT FREE) on the upgrade colour option on my new 300 I had to buy because my other was broken. They were just not interested in that :) ,,,,,,But they did send me a loaner after three months which they could never get working because the dongle they sent had the wrong serial # , so they sent another dongle which of course still didn't work . It actually got to be quite funny after a while .
You are much more patient than I am. Things happen, but even a month is ridiculous. I would've told them to keep the p.o.s. and been using a different company's scanner.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I like the idea of a scanner redundancy, but on this
So iv'e been running a second scanner now for about a year. I'm a single man lab doing about Six pans of work a day (some days ten, some four) Yesterday I wondered how much faster I was scanning with both simultaneously ?. Four boxes of single units, including entering all the info and sticky waxing the models together for the articulation scan . The result really surprised me ! ,,,,,,,,,,, x4 Boxes through two scanners - 17mins 58sec
x4 Boxes through one scanner - 29mins 54sec.
Anyway, something to think about if you're on the fence about getting a second Scanner. View attachment 31171

Really clean looking set up you have there, chooper. I like the nice big windows with all the plants and trees in your view :)

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score

Not sure who you bought the scanner from but I would not be happy either with the service you received. The reseller should support you and have attended to your needs promptly. A good reseller is key here. I have not heard anyone not have an issue with a reseller at sometime or another. We have change who supports our scanners in the past because of support issues. Maybe it’s time to reassess this for yourself. Good luck in the future.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
No scanner is faster than 2.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
this might seem silly, but am i the only person that scans a case while designing one at the same time?i understand the redundancy of having the second scanner and completely agree there...but beyond that the time savings is minimal. most single unit cases take about as long to design as they do to scan (at least with my old d700) so adding another scanner is overkill for that reason.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
All my scans are done chairside.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
whats inconsistent for you about that, bob?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
whats inconsistent for you about that, bob?
less about me, and more about the i/o scans. ive yet to determine the best path to making good predictable results across 4-5 different scanners from my clientele. i am open to suggestions....especially as more i/o scans come in.