How many Emax in 100 Gram Ring?

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
PDC, correct.
next time you invest, weigh everything out before you press. I think you will find that at .75g of total wax weight you will have quite a bit of ingot left.
also, drop a used A3 ingot behind a lighter shade.. you will see a definite line between the two. (i'm not suggesting the ingots be blended in the pressed crown)do your own experement'

I posted this in a thread quite a while ago and got pretty roasted for it.. all i'm trying to make in a point is that the envelope and instructions can be pushed quite a ways.

I've heard of ppl pressing a stack of used ingots..
splitting ingots..
both of which I don't agree with

take a look at the e.max investing instructions and see how many crowns they stack in a ring

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I've got that, but I don't really use it. I don't like having to work with that split down the side. I haven't had any cracking issues with the 100 gram but wanted to get an idea from other DLNers about their success rate with more than 3 units.

So,,,,,, are you just trying to save a bag of investment? It's not always explained clearly by ivo but I call it the 10mm rule. Wax patterns should be 10mm from the inside wall of the ring to be in the correct heat zone. Just stay within the wax weight. Yes, we all push the limits.;)

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
We use "pushers" too when need a bit more. Never have any issues as long as shades are the same.

So I guess we have a new dental technology term..."Pushers". Instead of drugs, it's ingots. ;)
Next question: I could "possibly" see using a pusher if the weight is .85 grams, but more than that and it would seem like you would be risking problems with contamination or changing the properties of the new ingot.

This "pusher" thing was never my original concern in this thread, but it is interesting. I just wanted to find out what the limits were with the number of units that could be pressed successfully in the 100 gram ring without any cracking issues. Most of the time a spacing issue comes into play before the weight issue when using the small ring.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
dk%20side2_zps98zn2vrb.jpg

Oh no PDC.. it’s happening, you're giving to their Jedi mind tricks…be strong, resist the dark side and their beckonings..lol. I think I can tend to be a bit conservative and need to push the envelope a bit or try different things. Since I work alone, I hate doing things over, as that is a big hit for me. Yet, in your original post you mentioned about being more efficient with time and materials, and I agree.

Since most of us seem to be using an investment which is probably better than Ivoclar’s, I think I’ll try adding that extra unit or maybe even 2 (smaller units) to my small ring, keeping within some of the advice here that people have had success with. I’m not going to go nuts, but maybe add that extra unit (or 2) and see how that goes, and go from there. I’ll also eventually try the smaller and cheaper Zulber ingots for those 1-2 unit press cases.

dkr%20side_zpsermeatnq.jpg

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
get a super ring.
press more units per 100g without issues.
just sayin

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, there is a split down both sides of the ring that you have to slide together. You have to change your liquid ratio to adjust for the added expansion. Looks like a lot of reaction layer on those too.
change ratio? I haven't. zero issues. no split rings. all good

AcciDental

AcciDental

Reaction score
I strongly recommend to weigh everything before.. I've managed to press 8 units of thin lower veneers, and the weight was around 0,5, but previously the record was 6 small upper front crowns. In some rare cases, when I have to press only one crown or veneer (usually because of the unpopular color, C, B or D shades for example),I've cut the ingot in half with diamond disk, but it takes quite some time and the disk might be worn afterwards... Stacking the ingots is not my favourite thing to do, it might get critical when inserting the half-ingot into the muffel before pressing (once it somehow stayed sideways halfway there, couldn't insert the plunger and had to get the ingot out of there...). Just saw Zublers stackable ingots, they say it helps you save on the material but I haven't got my hands on them yet.

Attachments

• 20150606_100140.jpg
    20150606_100140.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 20150605_131147.jpg
    20150605_131147.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 60
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
This thread has been kind of an eye opener for me, as far as what people are doing out there...so many (units) with so little (100 gram rings). It's been a good thread you started here, PDC.

B

Boozy woozy

Reaction score
Never done any pressing but I was wondering if you could place two wax copings that require different shades in the same ring? an A2 and D1 for example ?? Is that even possible??

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Never done any pressing but I was wondering if you could place two wax copings that require different shades in the same ring? an A2 and D1 for example ?? Is that even possible??
Someone has a ring/furnace that you can do multiple presses in I think? Zoooooooobler or Dekema maybe?

Last edited:
PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I strongly recommend to weigh everything before.. I've managed to press 8 units of thin lower veneers, and the weight was around 0,5, but previously the record was 6 small upper front crowns. In some rare cases, when I have to press only one crown or veneer (usually because of the unpopular color, C, B or D shades for example),I've cut the ingot in half with diamond disk, but it takes quite some time and the disk might be worn afterwards... Stacking the ingots is not my favourite thing to do, it might get critical when inserting the half-ingot into the muffel before pressing (once it somehow stayed sideways halfway there, couldn't insert the plunger and had to get the ingot out of there...). Just saw Zublers stackable ingots, they say it helps you save on the material but I haven't got my hands on them yet.

That's pretty impressive. What kind of investment are you using?

AcciDental

AcciDental

Reaction score
That's pretty impressive. What kind of investment are you using?
Ivoclar PressVest Speed. In this region it's harder to get my hands on anything better since it's the most popular investment used here.. But all in all i'm getting good results with it, precision is in my opinion far better than with some others. Still struggled with narrow stumps or implant abutments, I use wire in them in order not to break the investment ;)

invent dental

invent dental

Reaction score
Some Super Ring Results. No need to change any ratio

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 3 unit zirpress.JPG
    3 unit zirpress.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 41
ps2thtec