How do you lower the rate of remakes?

Ros Russle

Ros Russle

Reaction score
One of my friends is a lab owner, he told me that the rate of remakes of his lab was probably 10%-15%. Is it normal? How do you guys lower the rate?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
One of my friends is a lab owner, he told me that the rate of remakes of his lab was probably 10%-15%. Is it normal? How do you guys lower the rate?
NOT normal. Without knowing the reasons given, it is hard to say more than impressions and quality of input will determine the maximum possible best output. There is not limit to the bottom.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
NOT normal. Without knowing the reasons given, it is hard to say more than impressions and quality of input will determine the maximum possible best output. There is not limit to the bottom.
Tue other thing I wil say is the least dextrous dentist I have yet to meet, while being a swell gentleman and having great chairside manner and knowledge levels probably needed both hands to inset his car key. Should've taught instead.
His remake level was around 5%.

Locate the failure points, know who did each step. Know when it was done.

Someone here said a lab term they'd heard was 'friday finishes' meaning roughly it was 'good enough' to clock out, but needed redone monday morning before delivery after the qc person saw it.

Is there a Quality Control stage? Without one, idealy at each step on handoff, at least before billing there will never be a change.

Ros Russle

Ros Russle

Reaction score
Tue other thing I wil say is the least dextrous dentist I have yet to meet, while being a swell gentleman and having great chairside manner and knowledge levels probably needed both hands to inset his car key. Should've taught instead.
His remake level was around 5%.

Locate the failure points, know who did each step. Know when it was done.

Someone here said a lab term they'd heard was 'friday finishes' meaning roughly it was 'good enough' to clock out, but needed redone monday morning before delivery after the qc person saw it.

Is there a Quality Control stage? Without one, idealy at each step on handoff, at least before billing there will never be a change.
So much appreciated, got a lot of useful knowledge.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
hahah, learn to say "no" to customers is essential but difficult.
A harder, but exeptionally useful trick is learning how to make them say no.

I'll do it, but...
no warrantee

My understanding of the data is it'll be more likely to fail if/when/because in (rough time frame) based on [insert study]

We can do that but I would be concerned it may add (5%/10%/a few more percent) to the chance of failure. What is your opinion on trying....

Giving them options instead of just returning the impressoon if it's at all possible will always work to everyone's benifit. Mainly because you get at least closer to what you want, and they still take the responsibility while seeing you defer to their judgement.

And no, this don't work all the time, but it will make comunication more meaningful than "Take your impressions with your eyes open next time" even when it needs to be said. Most twerps know they are twerps.

You've really get to see the Facepalm thread if you want to see terrible at "Dentisting"