How do you guys setup your Scan Server

M

MrNeverFixit

Reaction score
Just wanting to know how you guys setup your Scan Server. Would be awesome if you could share as i would like to improve our Scan Server.

(We have two dongles A and B, plugged in on two different computer. Dongle A computer is setup as a scan server, all the stuff scanned are save on this computer on a secondary drive. We recently had a problem, the main drive went bad, and we were down for two days, can't do anything, can't access files. Can a NAS be use instead of using this computer as the file server, but still plugin the dongle on this computer? Even if Dongle A computer is down, i want the Dongle B computers be still able to access the files.

OR is there a way to setup a VM of windows 10 as the dongle server, and plugin both dongle or port forwarding or map them through it. We have like 6 seat/licence.

Thank you very much in advance. You All Have A Good Weekend

A

AnAppleaDay

Reaction score
Very interested in knowing as well.
Also, I've been wondering if it's possible to operate a scanner that's connected to another computer, so when a user is designing a complex case and their scanner is sitting idle, I can scan from a separate computer.

M

MrNeverFixit

Reaction score
Very interested in knowing as well.
Also, I've been wondering if it's possible to operate a scanner that's connected to another computer, so when a user is designing a complex case and their scanner is sitting idle, I can scan from a separate computer.
It might be possible to do that. Install ScanIt Dental and the drivers on your computer. And use a usb hub or usb switcher to share the scanner connection. (A switcher will work better, you can connect two computer and switch between computers A and B)
or You can share the scanner over the network if it is possible. Go to windows Settings, Devices and if the scanner is there try Sharing it. This way you can try out.

A

AnAppleaDay

Reaction score
If you go to the ScanIt Dental settings, it asks for an address for the scanner.
Default is //localhost, meaning the PC you're using at that moment, but the fact there is a field with what looks like a network address makes me think there must be a way to have 3shape server broadcast the scanner over the network for use by other clients.

I asked my vendor's tech support but I could just as well have told them I was a martian looking for toothed hens.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Yes NAS can be used. You will need to set the network path on the server install to point to that, that way all the clients can read it. But if the server goes down the client go down with it. But you can also set the path of the data base on all the stand alone install to the nas as well, then if the server goes down the stand alone still have access and can carry on. But they need to read an active dongle.

But explain to me your dongle setup, why two dongles? How many design seat and modules on each? Trying to understand your setup as a lot of people tend to overdo it and in the end they are paying way more in renewal fees then needed.

M

MrNeverFixit

Reaction score
Yes NAS can be used. You will need to set the network path on the server install to point to that, that way all the clients can read it. But if the server goes down the client go down with it. But you can also set the path of the data base on all the stand alone install to the nas as well, then if the server goes down the stand alone still have access and can carry on. But they need to read an active dongle.

But explain to me your dongle setup, why two dongles? How many design seat and modules on each? Trying to understand your setup as a lot of people tend to overdo it and in the end they are paying way more in renewal fees then needed.
Thank you for the reply and sharing. What i am looking at NAS drive is setup as raid5.
We have about 5 or 6 seats. so 3 seats in each dongle. From what i heard, but i could be wrong, in 1 dongle you can only have 3 seats?

Do you think a dongle only server (virtual machine) can be setup? No desinging on this vm, setup as server and add the existing 6 seat as clients. As long as Dental Manager is not running on this vm, all 6 clients will be able to use 3shape software. I wish 3Shape has a better way of doing it or more information on this kind of thing.

There are many big labs out there i wish they could share their setups.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Nope, a dongle can hold more. You can look into a network usb hum like usb anywhere. Basicly it is a usbhub that you can assign a IP address to. Then run a NAS so even if the server goes down dongle and database is still up and running.

M

mark Mailund

Reaction score
If you go to the ScanIt Dental settings, it asks for an address for the scanner.
Default is //localhost, meaning the PC you're using at that moment, but the fact there is a field with what looks like a network address makes me think there must be a way to have 3shape server broadcast the scanner over the network for use by other clients.

I asked my vendor's tech support but I could just as well have told them I was a martian looking for toothed hens.
Who is your vendor? If they sold you the scanner they should know this. You can for sure share a scanner by typing in the name of the pc connected to the scanner on your client and that way access the idle scanner.

Cleo

Cleo

Reaction score
I use a dropbox business account on each computer i am designing on. You can set up a local dropbox folder that is always backing up to the cloud. All your computers have the same dropbox folder as the database path so all data is available anywhere in the world. Set the folder to store locally on every cpu and dropbox syncs it all up. Easy to sync, easy to setup, all files are local so fast opening of cases. This setup also helps if you are doing any remote work. Almost instant syncing

Top Bottom