How did you guys get first case from doctor?

J

jy147147

Reaction score
i know it is very common question for all of us and i saw some similar threads but right now my lab has very difficult time and i just want to know if there is good way to get a first case from doctor. i cant afford any sales people so i am knocking all the dental offices i can see on the road and i never got single case from any of them. i probably went 100 offices. if you guys have any experience on sales, please share it. My lab mainly doing crown and bridge with cadcam.

thanks

MC Reusable Articulators

MC Reusable Articulators

Reaction score
Ask what the doctor WISHES their current lab would do differently. They always have something to say even if they like the lab. Propose commonly overlooked situations they might have grown accustomed to and your unique solutions to it. If they are with an outsourced lab, examine the fees and see if the office manager is being duped into paying the same overall cost YOU want to be paid, but hidden in multiple, broken down fees. The doctor isn't paying the bills, the office MANAGER is. They will often choose what's easier for THEM, not what's best for the doctor. They might even be getting a kickback like gift cards. (non-taxable income is better than a discount!)

My dad hated knocking on doors before he retired. But since I was not a technician, I could approach the doctor without the Pride but WITH the researcher's inquisitiveness.

I personally wish there was a more transparent neighborhood model for doctor and lab interactions. Everybody wants to eat, but there are bad ones that NEED weeding out and the local focus could eliminate some outsourcing if there is a sincere connection. People have to know what their dollars are paying for. If its all "the same" why NOT outsource?

The egos of the insecure unfortunately lead and the patient doesn't know the difference. It might take a very low bottoming out period for the consumer to catch on. Consumer Reports Magazine needs to focus on the lab side of dentistry.

Perhaps a selling point for local labs IS to leaflet the doctor's office with a cheat sheet explaining the advantages the patient has of working with that doctor because the lab is INsourced.

Last edited:
MC Reusable Articulators

MC Reusable Articulators

Reaction score
duplicate post removed

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Jiujutsu submission hold until they agree to send a case or.......
Ask them to send you a case and if they are dissatisfied with the results
have them return the case and tear up the bill and you'll never bother them again.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
MC, I really like and agree with your 1st sentence, and you last sentence.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Jiujutsu submission hold until they agree to send a case or.......
Ask them to send you a case and if they are dissatisfied with the results
have them return the case and tear up the bill and you'll never bother them again.

lol, the submission hold gets their attention every time :D

I was thinking along the same line, some sort of buy one get one free promotion (not on full gold),just so they can see your work and you, being there, just a phone call away. But, I also like 2thm8kr's idea, in at least if they send the crown back, you can recover the metal, if it's noble or HN.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
depends on the doctor. Big boobs, free swag, MOOBS, good joke.

the doctor is looking for something. You just have to figure it out.

S

seongjini

Reaction score
Try old fashion way,
just grab the case from reception without permission and leave, come back with a finished crown and ask for feedback. first crown free...
this worked for my uncle when he started a new lab. He did get pretty well for a new starter

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Try old fashion way,
just grab the case from reception without permission and leave, come back with a finished crown and ask for feedback. first crown free...
this worked for my uncle when he started a new lab. He did get pretty well for a new starter
Sometimes you just have to make it happen.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Easiest one was walking in and giving the scouting secret handshake. Doc and I had been in the same troop ;) That was really nice! Sometimes you will never get them, they know a friend of a cousin, etc. But sometimes the easy one to get is the one you don't want. Terrible impressions = that lab i use sucks, unreasonable expectation = the lab doesn't do quality work. Having to

really work one means that you are possibly getting one worth having. Agood way to go back multiple times also, for me anyway, is 1st visit: i do this, (whatever is most needed in the area) 2nd: i do this too, 3rd: i do this other thing too(whatever is a "do it with me but everybody near me is competing on the exact same thing") making sure that they don't glaze over while you spring all of it on the receptionist at once.

Last ditch, hide behind their car when they leave the office at night, and give a Godfather's choice. In the morning, your cases will be on my bench, or

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
------
-----------
Agood way to go back multiple times also, for me anyway, is 1st visit: i do this, (whatever is most needed in the area) 2nd: i do this too, 3rd: i do this other thing too(whatever is a "do it with me but everybody near me is competing on the exact same thing") making sure that they don't glaze over while you spring all of it on the receptionist at once.

Still not sure I'm getting this, what are you doing and saying on these visits o_O

Last ditch, hide behind their car when they leave the office at night, and give a Godfather's choice. In the morning, your cases will be on my bench, or
you wake up with Mr Ed's head in your bed.

Last edited:
Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
You must have a plan.

You need to plan out about 8 visits with small bits of informant about the lab and some swag for the front desk from pens to candy.

Hit them every two weeks at as close to the same time as possible. That shows you are about time as part of your business model.

Every time you get back in the car write down right then (lots of software out there for doing this)the names of the people you talked to and any feelings or vibes you got from them and the office. Make a game of overcoming resistance.

Never stop marketing. If you have enough work keep selling with a higher price and when you go up on the rest you are taking a much smaller risk if someone leaves.

If you have waited until you must have more work you have made a very big busniss mistake. The potential customers can smell your need like blood in the water on Shark Week.

Selling and marketing are acquired skills and there are industries working around these two things that make the lab industry look very small. You learned to make teeth now you need to learn how to sell teeth.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Car54, my tablet will not let me do carriage returns on here for some reason. So **** 1st visit I tell them i do the thing they have the hardest time finding someone in the area to do.

***2nd visit i do this other thing too

*** 65th or whatever visit tell them about what you do that everybody else is doing and fighting for.

The idea being that you set yourself apart instead 'another zirconia crown guy, Another Lava salesman, another Bruxzir salesman.' They can find one of those in the glossy magazine standing beside Gordon Christiansen.

What is it about YOUR lab & that is what you sell them, and that is what you tell them each visit.

Kinda like the 12 days of christmas song. You're always telling them "you do what no one else does" and you've given yourself a reason to go back again instead of just showing up every week with nothing new to say.

edit : shudder, looked like klingon wrapped through 1337 speak and back.
Sorry! had to wait 'till I got home.

Last edited:
Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
techs just can't get past it's all about what they make.

It's about selling you first.

There are a lot of labs doing the same things you do but only one you. That is what makes your lab unique.

The work is just one of the ways to keep the account.

The things customers will put up with because of their relationship with you is astounding to me even sometimes.

DRE

DRE

Reaction score
techs just can't get past it's all about what they make.

It's about selling you first.

There are a lot of labs doing the same things you do but only one you. That is what makes your lab unique.

The work is just one of the ways to keep the account.

The things customers will put up with because of their relationship with you is astounding to me even sometimes.
This is really true. I have some great relationships with dr's that will overlook mild brain farts etc. Being personable is important to the business's health.