How can I reuse light cure baseplate material excess?

T

Tat2d Kajun

Reaction score
Some posted a “roller” to be able to reuse the excess we save. Anyone know of this?

K

kytoothdude

Reaction score
The nicer rolling pins have discs on the ends to give uniform thickness.

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
So what I used to do is make a patty of stone, flatten it out, fold over a sheet of baseplate wax and cut it to the general size of the sheets of light-cure material, and vaseline one side of the wax. Then I counter sink that vaselined side into the wet patty. Let that set up. After setting, peel out the wax. Gather all your little scraps. Kinda start to form a little patty out of them. If you put the patty on the end of the knife and hold it over the flame of a bunsen-burner, it gets REALLY easy to work with. Then you're ready to mould! IMPORTANT: Lube up the impression of before laying in your patty of light cure scraps, otherwise it'll stick to the mould. Get a roller, I like the silicone rollers cuz the material tends to stick less to them. Roll your scraps into a sheet of light cure material.Wallah! You now have fabricated a sheet of lc material saving approximately $1.50 per sheet!

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
As a side note, the vaseline never caused any kind of curing issues or anything. Just use it sparingly.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I store my cuttings in a separate black container and then use it for handles.

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
So what I used to do is make a patty of stone, flatten it out, fold over a sheet of baseplate wax and cut it to the general size of the sheets of light-cure material, and vaseline one side of the wax. Then I counter sink that vaselined side into the wet patty. Let that set up. After setting, peel out the wax. Gather all your little scraps. Kinda start to form a little patty out of them. If you put the patty on the end of the knife and hold it over the flame of a bunsen-burner, it gets REALLY easy to work with. Then you're ready to mould! IMPORTANT: Lube up the impression of before laying in your patty of light cure scraps, otherwise it'll stick to the mould. Get a roller, I like the silicone rollers cuz the material tends to stick less to them. Roll your scraps into a sheet of light cure material.Wallah! You now have fabricated a sheet of lc material saving approximately $1.50 per sheet!
Seems to me it actually COSTS you money to save your $1.50.
First-- shop it around.Dental Depot is under $50 for 50 sheets of Megatray (Triad sucks and does not like to be condensed into itself-- same goes for the Sterngold) (Dentsply sucks too).
The Megatray-- both blue and pink--- seem to happily "moosh" together. Tray handles do NOT come off and need no metal support. Very happy with it.
If you buy from Nowack they ship free over $50.
(I just dropped your materials cost 33% lol)
I dunno what you charge for your hands on labor but I am around $1.40/minute. Do the math and use the scraps for partials.
Put your time to better use and enjoy your savings.

Last edited:
kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I also use scrap to make a screw retained base/bar for hybrid trials.
As for the rolling pin... back in the olden times we had a wood tablet with a lip and matching roller intended for uniform trays and bases out of autocure tray resin. Have one on my bench now.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I also use scrap to make a screw retained base/bar for hybrid trials.
As for the rolling pin... back in the olden times we had a wood tablet with a lip and matching roller intended for uniform trays and bases out of autocure tray resin. Have one on my bench now.
The first lab I worked at, we had a slab of stone that had an indenttation the same size and thickness of an old shellac baseplate.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
The first lab I worked at, we had a slab of stone that had an indenttation the same size and thickness of an old shellac baseplate.
Honestly, is there anything we can't make out of stone or cold cure? I feel like I've seen a lot.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Honestly, is there anything we can't make out of stone or cold cure? I feel like I've seen a lot.
Decent techs. Although hammers with stone centers wrapped in cold cure can beat a lot of compliance into them if not sense.

They are really the universal materials. Even being able to tap decent cold cure extends it farther.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Decent techs. Although hammers with stone centers wrapped in cold cure can beat a lot of compliance into them if not sense.

They are really the universal materials. Even being able to tap decent cold cure extends it farther.
Ashtrays cast in stone. Mold is rubber bowl pushed up through the bottom. Picked that up first week in school. 'Course nowadays nobody wants an ashtray...

G

grantoz

Reaction score
nickate we should never reuse them.i saw a guy with a pasta sheet roller one he used it for ivolene but i would work for light cure sheets i would imagine.

model guy

model guy

Donator
Reaction score

Many years ago, I had a car that I loved. It had and extra drop of paint on one of the corners of the trunk. This caused a hole in the tail light assembly and caused it to fill with water and basically fry the light bulbs. The garage told me that it needed a whole new assembly to pass inspection. I went to the garage with a drill and some GC resin. I drilled a hole in the lower corner to drain the water and plugged the hole with a little GC resin. This predated smart phones but I wish that I had a video of the car tech trying to break the GC patch by pushing it with a screwdriver. Small win but satisfying!!