How bad is it to mill Zirconia wet

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I having problem with wet mill , first framework did not absorb coloring liquid , second after sintering the color in not good have bright color.
Can someone help

is your water just water or mixed with something like a coolant? If so, that's your problem

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
no go. never do. ixnay on the mixing of lube in the water. red flag.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
please don't do that. industrial lube is also of a different caliber.

I also believe wet milling Zirconia is better/more accurate IMHO

MetalMachine

MetalMachine

Reaction score
I heard a mill is difficult to clean if zirconia dust gets wet. Is it true? Sales rep said mill should be cleaned well when you change from dry zirconia to wet emax or opposite.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I heard a mill is difficult to clean if zirconia dust gets wet. Is it true? Sales rep said mill should be cleaned well when you change from dry zirconia to wet emax or opposite.
Mixed theories, just wash it with the hose, I think its more when you go from wet milling back to dry and you have those hard to reach wet places, that become caked with dust.

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
I always time it so we mill dry in the morning and wet in the afternoon.. then just leave the door open to dry out over night

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
It's mixed with coolant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont do that. coolants are oil and that doesnt easily come out of zirconia, nor easily mix with most stain.

if u mill wet, its got to be as pure water as possible. a mill that also does milled emax wet should not mill zirconia wet unless you can correctly drain and change the emax coolant for pure water.

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
From what I know, all of our Versamill customers are milling wet. Even our largest customer with over 60 Versamill 5X200's, for all the reasons stated here (and more),is switching over to wet milling zirconia.

The Versamill 5X200 provides a choice of wet or dry and has two separate and isolated cooling systems: one for water and one for soluble coolant so they do not cross-contaminate. It is best to mill zirconia with water alone.

The Versamill 5X is either wet or dry with a single coolant delivery system.

Single coolant delivery systems should be flushed when switching from soluble coolant to water. This is easily done by running the coolant pump manually with the tank filled with water.

I recommend washing/cleaning out the machining area, of any mill, machining any material be done daily as part of a preventative maintenance program. It does not take very long and is not difficult to do. Flushing with a water hose works well. Use of compressed air should be done carefully with low pressure, especially with "dry" machines that do not have adequate sealing of the machining enclosure.

Do this and the machine will reward you with smooth operation and longer, care-free life.

Drying after wet-machining is also required. 10-20 minutes in one of these babies is quite sufficient.
toasterovenLowRes_zpsmedmfglu.jpg

You can get on for as little as $30.00 to $50.00 at Home Depot, Walmart, Best Buy, etc.
There are of course other options with dryers that will do the job much faster, of course the price tag goes up accordingly.

M

MadmenJJ

Reaction score
From what I know, all of our Versamill customers are milling wet. Even our largest customer with over 60 Versamill 5X200's, for all the reasons stated here (and more),is switching over to wet milling zirconia.

The Versamill 5X200 provides a choice of wet or dry and has two separate and isolated cooling systems: one for water and one for soluble coolant so they do not cross-contaminate. It is best to mill zirconia with water alone.

The Versamill 5X is either wet or dry with a single coolant delivery system.

Single coolant delivery systems should be flushed when switching from soluble coolant to water. This is easily done by running the coolant pump manually with the tank filled with water.

I recommend washing/cleaning out the machining area, of any mill, machining any material be done daily as part of a preventative maintenance program. It does not take very long and is not difficult to do. Flushing with a water hose works well. Use of compressed air should be done carefully with low pressure, especially with "dry" machines that do not have adequate sealing of the machining enclosure.

Do this and the machine will reward you with smooth operation and longer, care-free life.

Drying after wet-machining is also required. 10-20 minutes in one of these babies is quite sufficient.
toasterovenLowRes_zpsmedmfglu.jpg

You can get on for as little as $30.00 to $50.00 at Home Depot, Walmart, Best Buy, etc.
There are of course other options with dryers that will do the job much faster, of course the price tag goes up accordingly.

My lab has 5x-200 from arum and as you said, 2 different water tank is great.
One question is, I'm keep seeing people dry only 10-20 minutes but our techs try it for an hour.
They claim coloring liquid will not sucked in much when dried 30 minutes...
How hot do you put your zirconia?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
an hour is too long. it doesnt take long to dry the wet zirconia. if it gets too hot for too long then most stain wont adhere to the lattice.

alternatively a rapid heating for shorttime will just introduce thermal shock.

15 minuts at 200 is plenty of dry time.

M

MadmenJJ

Reaction score
an hour is too long. it doesnt take long to dry the wet zirconia. if it gets too hot for too long then most stain wont adhere to the lattice.

alternatively a rapid heating for shorttime will just introduce thermal shock.

15 minuts at 200 is plenty of dry time.
That will really cut so much time.
It was pain in the butt to dry 1 hour then wait for it to cool down...
I will try that
Thank you

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
CoolHand has it right but it also depends on the size of the restoration
We are recommending:
Single (70degC): 15 min+
Single (140degC): 5-10 min

2-4 units (70degC): 40min+
2-4 units (140degC): 25min+

5+ units (70degC): 50min+
5+ units (140degC): 25min+

M

MadmenJJ

Reaction score
CoolHand has it right but it also depends on the size of the restoration
We are recommending:
Single (70degC): 15 min+
Single (140degC): 5-10 min

2-4 units (70degC): 40min+
2-4 units (140degC): 25min+

5+ units (70degC): 50min+
5+ units (140degC): 25min+
Thank you!

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
It's not bad ,I just find it uncomfortable .

rob_lowe_04.jpg

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
the finish on the zirconia units is a HELL of a lot better than ones coming off a roland. its almost glossy immediately post sinter. its just wow.

Due to great machining strategies is what this is about!

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
This is a strange thread. There is zero reason to mill zirconia wet. Why add unnecessary variables to any process. Would you drive your car through the ocean or try your boat on the highway. Wrong way to get there.
Mill it dry as it was designed for.

I think that it is more about preserving the machine for a longer life than getting abrasive dust in all of the components. Just my 2 cents.

C

Claudia Kremer

Reaction score
Is there any zirconia manufacturer that recommends milling their product wet vs. dry?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Is there any zirconia manufacturer that recommends milling their product wet vs. dry?
only bruxzir. but for their sintered blocks. not the sinterable zirconia, sintered blocks.

i think its called "bruxzir now"

Top Bottom