High translucency chipping

T

twohai

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm having problem with finishing the margin on our high translucency zircornia. We are getting chipping when finishing the margin with Komet diamond bur. Are there anyone who can recommend a good bur to use to finish the margin. The zirconia we are using is Lava Esthetic.

Thank you

A

adl

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm having problem with finishing the margin on our high translucency zircornia. We are getting chipping when finishing the margin with Komet diamond bur. Are there anyone who can recommend a good bur to use to finish the margin. The zirconia we are using is Lava Esthetic.

Thank you
You have to have more of an emax prep,don’t do them if you don’t have a decent margin. They will chip,if not in the lab they will chip on insert.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
flexi diamond disk, youre welcome.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
We use high speed, very fine diamonds with lots of irrigation...

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
proper shoulder margins would help...and ummmm if youre chipping in the lab you prob shouldnt be thinning down that much. otherwise the crown pullers the Dr uses after "trying in" the crown before cementing will chip your already thinned margins.
my advice to Drs that have concerns about the "thick" margins.....prep me the proper margins. same goes for emax and lisi and celtra and all other materials. the days of shoulder bevels or feather/disappearing margins should be long over. its 2017, nearly 2018. they want perfect crowns.....give perfect preps and impressions.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
I use Vita flex diamond. Pretty much polishes it at the same time.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Due to these materials being made from a mix of cubic phase and tetragonal phase zirconia crystals you lose the transformation toughening that you get from 100% tetragonal phase zirconia. That means once you cause a crack from over heating or overworking, that crack propagates instead of compressing during the transformation from Tetragonal Phase to Monoclinical Phase crystals.

Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

HMFIC
Reaction score
Just had a DD Cubex2 #4(D3) shear off the buccal surface after 2 months in the mouse(Willi accent).....

fyi: did a side by side test # 9 DD Cubex2 versus Katana UTML shade A2 and the later won.... incisal buccal edge of prep made this area very thin.....DD cubex2 was too grey... no staining just glaze/polish sorry doc didnt post pics but he was excited about the test... love the enthusiasm of young docs....

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Just had a DD Cubex2 #4(D3) shear off the buccal surface after 2 months in the mouse(Willi accent).....

fyi: did a side by side test # 9 DD Cubex2 versus Katana UTML shade A2 and the later won.... incisal buccal edge of prep made this area very thin.....DD cubex2 was too grey... no staining just glaze/polish sorry doc didnt post pics but he was excited about the test... love the enthusiasm of young docs....
Rexxy, where ya been? We thought you joined the witness protection program??

Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

HMFIC
Reaction score
lol besides that yea busy fall, been outdoors afterwork all summer-fall doing trail work, town bought the 400 acres behind my house and made it conservation land and all my(and two others) bootleg trails became legal and now see ton of traffic (mostly mountain bikes) soooo dumbing down spots and making obstacles safer and armoring the **** of mudholes. Took up bow-hunting too climbing trees etc lot of fun but im not too good at it yet...lol prolly should'nt smoke cigars when Im up in my stand...*hic...

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Sorry to hear they found the secret garden. :(