High shine study model SOAP?

W

Wilbur

Reaction score
Hey there

I've recently been getting loads of full study model cases that require high shine soaping from a new clinic.

I'm currently using Dentaurum Model gloss but it's expensive and doesn't last very long.

I tried watering it down a bit but totally lost the quality of the high shine.

What would you guys recommend for high volume?

Thanks,
Wilbur

W

Wilbur

Reaction score
Haha .. Don't think that would get through health and safety laws... Although it isn't going in mouth so mayb!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Future floor wax here.
They are only models and not for intraoral use. Future floor wax works great. apply with a foam brush applicator and set aside to dry

W

Wilbur

Reaction score
Future floor wax here.
They are only models and not for intraoral use. Future floor wax works great. apply with a foam brush applicator and set aside to dry
Does the shine stay on as long as (dental speciality soaps) and is there any cleaning odour from it

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Does the shine stay on as long as (dental speciality soaps) and is there any cleaning odour from it
It does have a pleasant odor while wet and it does last for a long time...BTW, the dental "speciality" soaps are made special and dental by their label only

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Lasts for as long as I can recall. youd have to scrub it off with water. Smells decent when applying and has a faint aftersmell thats just as nice.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
From the crown and bridge side, I've found Pledge/Future also works good for diagnostic wax ups, along with the cast.
The only problem is, you better feel really good about your wax up cause if you
need to do any add ons, the acrylic can be a hassle to wax on, or to carve off
to get to the clean wax below.

Also, you just want to use a fairly large brush,
like a #6 to do the wax in one pass, otherwise it can wipe out any surface anatomy
by doing a 2nd coat. Maybe that is why I gave up on using it, and just lightly with my
finger smear some die lube on the wax before it goes out the door,
to put a bit of a sheen on it.

edit: could also duplicate the wax up and pour it out of ortho stone
and shine up that cast, leaving the wax up alone. This also helps
to have a back up, just in case something happened to one or the other.

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I use Whip Mix's product...hi-shine or something like that. As others have stated, glorified floor wax, and the future pledge I have used in the past as well. Not to derail this thread, but are folks still seeing a lot of ortho study models, or have they moved pretty much over to digital realm? I will admit, I've seen the ortho digital study models that Great Lakes Ortho does, they are stunning, not sure I could duplicate that quality without a lot of work in my lab.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I use Whip Mix's product...hi-shine or something like that. As others have stated, glorified floor wax, and the future pledge I have used in the past as well. Not to derail this thread, but are folks still seeing a lot of ortho study models, or have they moved pretty much over to digital realm? I will admit, I've seen the ortho digital study models that Great Lakes Ortho does, they are stunning, not sure I could duplicate that quality without a lot of work in my lab.
I've moved to the digital realm. Still print some of the models so the clinician can make a set of temps chair side and then we make milled pmma temps of the digital dx for large cases.

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
From the crown and bridge side, I've found Pledge/Future also works good for diagnostic wax ups, along with the cast.
The only problem is, you better feel really good about your wax up cause if you
need to do any add ons, the acrylic can be a hassle to wax on, or to carve off
to get to the clean wax below.

Also, you just want to use a fairly large brush,
like a #6 to do the wax in one pass, otherwise it can wipe out any surface anatomy
by doing a 2nd coat. Maybe that is why I gave up on using it, and just lightly with my
finger smear some die lube on the wax before it goes out the door,
to put a bit of a sheen on it.

edit: could also duplicate the wax up and pour it out of ortho stone
and shine up that cast, leaving the wax up alone. This also helps
to have a back up, just in case something happened to one or the other.
i use a 2" foam brush from Michaels.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
i use a 2" foam brush from Michaels.
Here's my set up for Future. Keep an old porc brush in jar of water. Blot off and apply Future from
the other jar. Works great the last 25 years.
IMG_0496.JPG

Last edited:
W

Wilbur

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments..

Do you guys dilute the pledge spray with water or just directly spray on to models.

Labguy - any particular reason you stopped using the floor wax?

Thanks,
Wilbur

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments..

Do you guys dilute the pledge spray with water or just directly spray on to models.

Labguy - any particular reason you stopped using the floor wax?

Thanks,
Wilbur

Do not dilute! Also it is not a spray, hence the brush application. A sprayer would probably be clogged quickly!

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Floor wax here for diagnostic models and for c&b contacts and all opposings
I'm seeing a lot of Drs buying their own printers to make study models and to print surgery guides and night guards

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
btw shoe polish is ALSO a great way - and you can use shoe polish on your visijet prints to reduce the burn out volatility

K

keroassidy

Reaction score
Floor wax here for diagnostic models and for c&b contacts and all opposings
I'm seeing a lot of Drs buying their own printers to make study models and to print surgery guides and night guards

Really? So your using the floor wax as a abrasive resistance for the contacts and occlusion?

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Really? So your using the floor wax as a abrasive resistance for the contacts and occlusion?
yes and also to seal when I layer and keeps fairly clean from marking paper smudges

For diagnostic waxups I usually just put a light coat on that absorbs in and seals model and works as a separator for duping,

This is with light coat with paint brush

IMG_1577 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1578 - Copy.JPG

This on a little heavier cause models were a little porous and I was trying to cover it up.

IMG_1605 - Copy.JPG

Paint floor wax on all solids for anteriors for pics
You can see on 2nd pic the line where I did not paint it on.
Try and see if ist shiney enough for you.
some people dip models in wax for more saturation. I go light for semigloss.
IMG_0199 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0932 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
W

Wilbur

Reaction score
yes and also to seal when I layer and keeps fairly clean from marking paper smudges

For diagnostic waxups I usually just put a light coat on that absorbs in and seals model and works as a separator for duping,

This is with light coat with paint brush

View attachment 27205
View attachment 27206

This on a little heavier cause models were a little porous and I was trying to cover it up.

View attachment 27207

Paint floor wax on all solids for anteriors for pics
You can see on 2nd pic the line where I did not paint it on.
Try and see if ist shiney enough for you.
some people dip models in wax for more saturation. I go light for semigloss.
View attachment 27208
View attachment 27209
Hey Guys

I can't find that future pledge anywhere,

Where do you buy, can you get it online or are there any other similar brands that are as good?

Thanks,
Wilbur

Top Bottom