High Remake Account?

O

omsk

Reaction score
I am trying to get some insight on how to handle a multiple office account/ multiple doctors with a high rate of remakes or "adjustments". Unfortunately it is out of my hands to tell them we can't continue working with them.

I am sort of expected to try to work with them however I see no end to this and I am growing frustrated. :(

A lot of cases come back for open margins, open contacts, crowns not fitting, etc.

The issues most likely originate on their end as we don't have this problems with other offices. We do have remakes every now and then with other offices but nothing even close to this account.

Their problems are mostly bad impressions and preparations. The list is big. If you have seen 3M's Impression Troubleshooting Guide you could check most of the issues in there.

I have told the dental office owner about the issues I see (multiple times) and some tips but they are clearly just ignored. I still see that there is no effort to improve their preparations or impressions. Maybe the owner tries but the other doctors don't follow? I don't know...

What would be a good way of dealing with this?

I often feel they need to find a "coach" of some sort to help them with these issues. Is there such a thing?

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
I guess we are lucky we are in a position that if a doctor wont follow directions on how to obtain a good impression on a good prep, we can tell them to go somewhere else. Why beat your head against a wall. Its supposed to be a partnership to create the best restoration possible for the patient, not who's ego is bigger. We are fortunate our docs request and take the feedback we give them. After all, it is all about the patient.

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
I guess we are lucky we are in a position that if a doctor wont follow directions on how to obtain a good impression on a good prep, we can tell them to go somewhere else. Why beat your head against a wall. Its supposed to be a partnership to create the best restoration possible for the patient, not who's ego is bigger. We are fortunate our docs request and take the feedback we give them. After all, it is all about the patient.

Oh you friendly Canadians Laugh

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
If you're not the owner of the lab there isn't much you can do.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Large group practices like that will always continue sending work to labs that have free remake policy ! If you start charging for remakes, or even billing at 1/2 price at some point you will lose the account, most likely.
This is what I always do with a new accounts, and old good accounts, and there's a good chance doing this they will stop sending work to you.
(The last new account that lasted 3 months, after asking for a new impression on the same patient for the 3rd time, I never heard from that office again. lol)

1. Send back all bad impressions and ask for new impressions, and don't waste your time pouring the impressions.
2. On questionable impressions pour and send back for the doctor to trim margins and insist if the case doesn't fit they bought it..
3. Pouring solid pour models will solve contacts problems, if its the labs fault. Bad temporaries will create contact and occlusion problems.
I'm assuming you work in a large lab and this account is very large. Basically the problem is out of your hands like you said. Dontknow
Now you know how GW became the largest lab, alone with cheap prices . :)

M

Mike_the_Owner

Reaction score
Large group practices like that will always continue sending work to labs that have free remake policy ! If you start charging for remakes, or even billing at 1/2 price at some point you will lose the account, most likely.
This is what I always do with a new accounts, and old good accounts, and there's a good chance doing this they will stop sending work to you.
(The last new account that lasted 3 months, after asking for a new impression on the same patient for the 3rd time, I never heard from that office again. lol)

1. Send back all bad impressions and ask for new impressions, and don't waste your time pouring the impressions.
2. On questionable impressions pour and send back for the doctor to trim margins and insist if the case doesn't fit they bought it..
3. Pouring solid pour models will solve contacts problems, if its the labs fault. Bad temporaries will create contact and occlusion problems.
I'm assuming you work in a large lab and this account is very large. Basically the problem is out of your hands like you said. Dontknow
Now you know how GW became the largest lab, alone with cheap prices . :)
This is what I do. Cant detect a margin send back to the doctor for them to ditch. If they ditch and margin is wrong we charge them. They quickly change how they impress.
We do 2 solid models. One for techs to use and the second for the quality control. We also document and send photos to the doctors about bad impressions. If this is something that you don't have the power or say to change it will always be a struggle till you get high enough in the company or start your own lab.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
if you are not the owner but the owner says keep working on their cases then keep working on their cases. so thats the way it is the only time the owner will tell them see you later is when its not profitable but while it still is im pretty sure the owner doesnt care if its a pain in the a55 or not. sorry mike thats business .

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
tumblr_okmnewwQRe1qmob6ro1_500.gif

O

omsk

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I will try some of your advice, like sending models so they can trim the margins. Maybe that will beat some sense into them.

We were doing a lot of reduction copings for them, almost every case. At a fee of course. Instead of trying to find out why the coping were being made and how to fix it on their end. They asked us to stop making them since their crowns were not fitting anyways and they were just spending extra on copings.Banghead

I work on a small-medium size lab. I can definitely bring this stuff up, and I've done it, but for the most part it's gone ignored.

I am just frustrated that almost everyday I receive a call/message from the doctor about another case with an issue. I don't feel I get paid enough to deal with this issues :mad:

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
Well, if you can't become jaded or don't want to go insane, a sense of humor might help. If the Lab owner shrugs and the dentists aren't embarrassed, you could try irritating all involved.... Or. You may be on your way to becoming a Lab owner.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I might even suggest (depending on how bad you want to keep this account, or the owner for that matter)...but what I'd suggest is start snapping photos over a two week period. Take pictures of the good, the bad, the ugly. Then it's time to get the office manager on the phone for a lunch n' learn...nothing explains shlt better than looking at the toilet after the dirty deed has been done. If they don't change after that, you can't help 'stupid' ~Ron White :)

Top Bottom