Help needed!!

• Thread starter Chompers’R’Us
  • Start date
C

Chompers’R’Us

Reaction score
Hey everyone I recently got a request to build an appliance to cover a whole in a patients palate. I’m not really sure how to proceed as the patient states appliance he had originally had a “plug” to prevent food etc… going into nasal passage. Anyone done this type of appliance before?
This is what the hole looks like.
I’m thinking typical flipper with ball clasps for retention. Just not sure how to “plug” the area as he mentioned.

Attachments

• RenderedImage.jpeg
    RenderedImage.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 12
Rtyrelw

Rtyrelw

Reaction score
it seems like hes asking for an obturator, i havent made many but i don recall any special instructions other than a good seal

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Obturator, not anything special, sometimes that area around the hole is very sensitive (even to hard acrylic) and I've had to use a soft reline in that area before. I've always done them with dentures, or partials, never did one with a flipper, that does kind of seem flimsy. Any chance you can talk the patient/Doc into a traditional RPD w/mesh at the hole area to seal it up?

C

Chompers’R’Us

Reaction score
it seems like hes asking for an obturator, i havent made many but i don recall any special instructions other than a good seal
That’s my exact dilemma (trying to achieve a god seal) not sure how while trying to not irritate tissue.
I'm thinking a flipper seems a bit flimsy for a long term obturator, but may work ok.
When I said flipper I should of mentioned full palate for stability (my apologies lol)

C

Chompers’R’Us

Reaction score
Obturator, not anything special, sometimes that area around the hole is very sensitive (even to hard acrylic) and I've had to use a soft reline in that area before. I've always done them with dentures, or partials, never did one with a flipper, that does kind of seem flimsy. Any chance you can talk the patient/Doc into a traditional RPD w/mesh at the hole area to seal it up?
I’ll definitely bring it up next time we speak, thank you. The soft reline material sounds like a great idea. How would you go about it? Create a post damn around the area so it creates a finish line?