Help me understand the digital implant impression processes.

D

drock

Reaction score
Hi all,

I can't seem to find any accurate info on this. But can someone with REAL working experience and DEEP Knowledge of the world of digital implant impressions explain how this works?
Maybe more specifically with itero. From what I understand itero is only partnered with 3i and straumann correct? So that means I and the doctor will need to get the scan bodies from the respective company 3i or straumann which ever is being used. And I need to get their library? Do I have to get it from them? Or do other companies sell them too?
Now what if an itero Dr wants to scan an implant other than those two? What then? For expample for denstply Astra, I need to search for a 3rd party company that has a scan body for that platform and compatible with itero?? The Dr will need one as well as me? Is the IO scan body different than lab ones?
Universal scan bodies- what exactly does that mean? It will work with any IO scanner.
Does each scan body company have their own library?
If I use scan bodies from Straumann or 3i does that mean I have to use their mill facility or can I still mill in house? Or do I need to use the universal scan bodies? If different scan bodies are used other than straumann or 3i, does the Dr need to download something to use the different scan body.
Does each IOS partner up with implant companies? Is there an iOS that can scan any implant system?
Do I need to get Digital model analogs from the same place I got the scan bodies from? Please provide me with some accurate info rather than guesses Thank you all.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Okay....
IO impression scanning for implants really depends on who is doing the implant abutment. If you are, then make sure you and Doc have the same scan markers and have that software integrated. Some impression scanning, and I reckon to say this is more rather than less, have there own scan markers for their own scan software, therefore you will need those specific scan markers as well and they will be making said abutment. Some implant companies will help you with this and share the library with you, however, they will charge you for those scan markers (and they ain't cheap). As for Itero, best to call them up and get the current implant digital pathway from them.

keith goldstein

keith goldstein

Reaction score
I anticipate that iTero will have to incorporate other intrraoral scan bodies, library files, and digital analog solutions as there becomes more competition in the intraoral scanner market.

Will iTero work with other scan bodies

My company for example has intraoral scan bodies coming out over the next month. We plan on talking to itero and letting them know what we offer and hopefully they will be willing to consider other intraoral scan bodies and our digital solution (using our analog that can be used in 3d printed models at a cost of $9-$12 per analog vs. $20-$30+).

If they embrace this then the dentist could choose which intraoral scan body to use, scan it, and then send to a lab that will accept itero files. In this scenario the lab would receive the file (STL or whatever format it is in) and place into their design software and create the restoration.

Intraoral vs Dental Lab Scan Bodies

The intraoral scan bodies are smaller and narrower than the typical dental lab scan bodies. Some have scan bodies that can be used both intraorally and in the dental lab. Prices vary between $15-$50 for dental lab scan bodies and intraoral scan bodies from companies like DESS and other 3rd party (aftermarket/ clone manufacturers vs. OEM).

Universal scan body

My interpretation of Universal scan body is one that is open and that scan can be sent to any design software, any restoration can be made, and anyone can provide it. The theory is that you would only have to make one investment into one scan body. This is happening in smaller versions where companies have created software to convert scan files from one software to another (for example a cerec intraoral scan which is sent to 3shape for design). I anticipate more of this cooperation.

Does each scan body company have their own library?

Yes is the short answer. Some scan bodies work only with OEM implant companies (Nobel, Straumann) and others like DESS we make scan bodies that work with our ti bases, analogs, multiunit abutments, and pre milled interface blocks. Other scan body companies may only offer milling services by using their scan bodies.

If I use scan bodies from Straumann or 3i does that mean I have to use their mill facility or can I still mill in house?

Often that is the case.

If different scan bodies are used other than straumann or 3i, does the Dr need to download something to use the different scan body.

The IO scan body software would have to be provided if it is a different system then 3i or straumann. iTero would identify which scan body for which implant system it would offer.

Does each IOS partner up with implant companies? Is there an iOS that can scan any implant system?

Some IOS partners, such as iTero, partner with specific implant systems others, such as 3shape and Dental Wings) support multiple IOS scan bodies. I anticipate 3m and iTero to also follow suit as more companies enter the scan body market and their customers want alternatives.

Do I need to get Digital model analogs from the same place I got the scan bodies from?

Not necessarily. Currently the digital analogs coordinate with the scan bodies however I envision this will change overtime where with any scan body data that you have you can choose which digital analog you wish to use and what type of restoration you want created. This will take time to perfect however I believe it will become a reality.

D

drock

Reaction score
Thank you! That helps clarify some things.