HELP! How to design & mill CEREC scans?

C

Chad Gardner

Reaction score
I am a DDS with an Omnicam and came across this barely used 52D when a colleague took his life. Bought it, an inEos scanner and Deekema 674i. Now I’m trying to put this thing to work w/o spending a fortune. I just want to make basic stuff: Nice PMMA temps, cheap crowns rather than MODFL resins, reinforcements for temp all on X’s, etc. Not wanting to become a lab tech.
So, I have a Roland 52D, an Omnicam, millbox, sum3D, 2 PCs and the scanner and I Lab 18.1 CAD, no CAM. If I export the data from the Omnicam to .stl files, what’s the best way to design and mill? It has InLab 18 CAD, but how do I get it to design the milled intaglio if I can’t enter the burs I’m using? Also, is the scanner useless w/o buying the Sirona .stl license software?

Basically, should I buy the Sirona.stl license thing so I can mill from InLab, get exocad or just sell it?

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
Hi Doctor. I believe if you purchase the Sirona.stl license, it just allows you to send out scan files to the ExoCAD. You will still need to learn the ExoCAD software to do the designs. Sum3D is your CAM software to run the mill.

Im sorry to hear about your colleague.

Sell.

Kam Yu

Kam Yu

Reaction score
Yeah. Sell or hire someone to run it. It is a monster of an operation because you dont have a stream lined equipment package for clinics. There are so many hiccups to mill in house. Not worth the stress

C

Chad Gardner

Reaction score
Ok. I spoke with Zahn and they said it would be cheapest to get the .stl license and export to millbox or my Moonray. But how does it know what burs are in the Roland to design the restoration? No one can answer that. Does Millbox compensate because it knows the burs?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Ok. I spoke with Zahn and they said it would be cheapest to get the .stl license and export to millbox or my Moonray. But how does it know what burs are in the Roland to design the restoration? No one can answer that. Does Millbox compensate because it knows the burs?
millbox will need the strategies set up if they arent already. the original reseller would have put their strategies in place.

C

Chad Gardner

Reaction score
The strategies are there. But they are on 2 separate PCs. The InLab doesn’t know what burs are going to be doing the milling when designing, so how would millbox know?

I know he made a ton of full arch zirconia prostheses to FMR crown cases on this setup. I just don’t know how! Lol. I was just trying to help his widow out and kinda excited about it but now I wanna take my shotgun to it!

Kam Yu

Kam Yu

Reaction score
do you have the compressed air figured out?

Kam Yu

Kam Yu

Reaction score
The strategies are there. But they are on 2 separate PCs. The InLab doesn’t know what burs are going to be doing the milling when designing, so how would millbox know?

I know he made a ton of full arch zirconia prostheses to FMR crown cases on this setup. I just don’t know how! Lol. I was just trying to help his widow out and kinda excited about it but now I wanna take my shotgun to it!
So after you design and finish the project, it will spit out an stl. You pull that into the cam software and the software figures it all out. The millbox cam is likely for the roland so as long as the burs are in the correct slots, it will work.

C

Chad Gardner

Reaction score
So even designing for PMMA temps etc. or even cheap zirconia temps for 6-11 is that much trouble? Remember I don’t want to do a bunch of lab work, staining and glazing etc. but I am a computer nerd.

doug

doug

Reaction score
bootlegged Exocad This will cost you $250,000.00 if you get caught. I'd work on making that legal quickly. Exocad doesn't just let you say "Oops!"

Kam Yu

Kam Yu

Reaction score
So even designing for PMMA temps etc. or even cheap zirconia temps for 6-11 is that much trouble? Remember I don’t want to do a bunch of lab work, staining and glazing etc. but I am a computer nerd.
When things run smooth, not so bad. But, there are hiccups all the time. Much more than an average clinician would put up with. I have lab friends who dont even mill because their volume is too low (<8 units a day),and not worth the hassle. You would have to hire someone to run it. Unless you have alot of free time?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
CAD software ONLY assumes a "smallest" tool. from there it uses that radius to do offsets of the intaglio - but thats it. CAD software doesnt care about the CAM part of the equation. that's true of every CAD suite out there, be they dental or industrial.

millbox and sum3d's job is to take the design and apply a machining template to the design, to acheive 100% material removal. its algorithm is generally set up to use a large tool to roughly cut an approximation of the designed object, then use a smaller finer tool to refine the object to have smooth surfaces, fossas, etc.

that's your basic "strategy" of cnc machining. gets complicated with harder materials and implant geometries, but thats the basics.

C

Chad Gardner

Reaction score
Man, God bless you. That’s the biggest question I’ve had that no one could answer for me. Thank you so much. So I’d just tell InLab it’s bur diameter is 0.6 or radius 0.3 and let Millbox do the rest.

C

Chad Gardner

Reaction score
One last question I have is before I spend the money on the Sirona .stl license is if it’ll let me export scans from the inEos scanner to my Moonray? I don’t see why not but Sirona has a way of screwing you every chance possible. I do a TON of denture remakes as there are 2 “affordable” corporate offices near me making the worst dentures on earth. I used to love my Shining 3D for scanning the old denture, printing, and using for a custom tray. My lab loved it too. The Shining crapped out a year ago and I miss it!!!

The ability to do it again would pay for the .stl license in saved chair time. The clam shell denture copy technique isn’t even close in accuracy of a printed copy.

Cleo

Cleo

Reaction score
The stl license will let you export stls to anywhere that takes stl. If you are trying to print a full copy of the old denture the ineos will not scan both the tissue and the tooth surfaces and you will not be able to copy a full denture without a little work around. I use a inlab and roland combo and it works great. The stl license is $3000 PER year. There is a new update to inlab 19 and it allows a connection to exocad from the ineos scanner. All updates for inlab are free if you have the scanner.

C

Chad Gardner

Reaction score
The stl license will let you export stls to anywhere that takes stl. If you are trying to print a full copy of the old denture the ineos will not scan both the tissue and the tooth surfaces and you will not be able to copy a full denture without a little work around. I use a inlab and roland combo and it works great. The stl license is $3000 PER year. There is a new update to inlab 19 and it allows a connection to exocad from the ineos scanner. All updates for inlab are free if you have the scanner.
Awesome! Mind if I contact you sometime? Do you have your Roland CAM software on the same computer as InLab? He had 2 separate PCs. I’m trying to figure out why and his process. He was using millbox and sum3D

Cleo

Cleo

Reaction score
I'll send you a DM with my cell, you can call anytime. I would do it on 2 pcs also, both programs running at once will slow things down. I have a PC that I run 3 mills on and then have design stations separate.

L

lovebeautifulteeth

Reaction score
I think you can send DXD file to inlab CAD. Export STL from inlab CAD. Then mill with Roland 52. Millbox from Sum 3D can import the STL that is exported from inlab CAD. Millbox will let you know the tools and milling strategy.

michael

Top Bottom