has anyone used both- dentalwings & 3shape

user name

user name

Reaction score
Ive read everything I can find, I think..I know its a tendancy to like what youve committed to, but has anyone used both the dental wings (either 3 or 5) and the 3shape? Please throw at me a couple ups and downs of each. Im suffering from information overload and Im overwhelmed with what I think are distinctions without a difference. < not because its all so complicated...I think I might be a 'tard.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Ive read everything I can find, I think..I know its a tendancy to like what youve committed to, but has anyone used both the dental wings (either 3 or 5) and the 3shape? Please throw at me a couple ups and downs of each. Im suffering from information overload and Im overwhelmed with what I think are distinctions without a difference. < not because its all so complicated...I think I might be a 'tard.

I'm not the technician who does the work, but we have an old copy of DentalWing that was hooked up to our Cynovad scanner, but we don't use either anymore.

All 3Shape all the time!

BDDS

BDDS

Reaction score
Just went through the same decision, and we went with 3Shape. Our folks are catching on really fast being that we were already involved with CAD. Dentalwings has impressive functions as well ... one thing that was interesting was the fact that a lab I visited which had both favored the 3Shape for design. One benefit he did say of the Dentalwings was the ease of networking. Although that may be true, transferring files with 3Shape is pretty darn simple. Thus far very happy about the decision, but I do also feel that you'll be happy either way.

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
3Shape is a continuously evolving system, they have been good in supporting all their old hardware with the new software (and one day your shiney new scanner will be classed as legacy) We get a list every year from them of things they know they can do and ask which ones we would want as a priority - 50 software developers then get set about it.

DW are still talking about articulation and chromes in the future - all done and working on 3Shape, along with the rest of the items on your wish list. Unless price is the main driving force then the 3Shape seems to come out ahead of everything I have seen for usability and flexibility.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
3shape or DW

Before I stat, its only fair that I disclose that I am a 3shape distributor. I had the oppertunity to also sell Dental Wings.
We have multiple work stations for each system and I have personally designed over a thousand units of full contour and frame works using each. Both scanners are adequitely accurate to get great fitting restorations. Both
have also needed to go back for repairs and we have received 24 hour loaner from 3shape. On the other hand, our DW scanner went down ( third time in three years) this past Dec. 24th and it took over a week to get a loaner.
From a CAD perspective, I can get a better design in less time using 3Shape. The 3shape software tools function better than DW. 3shape's a couple of steps ahead of DW in the CAD end. To us, it's about how long it takes to get a great design and I can do it faster with better results using 3shape.
If you would like to visit us for a day to get additional input feel free to contact me. Or, if you want to talk just give me a call 877 977 7889.
Bob

Top Bottom